Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #16  
Mel

nelie, I'm sorry you have to leave Xfit It's the bast feel good drug I know! Best wishes for balancing the budget and achieving long term goals!

I am at the point where I re-arrange my life around Crossfit- I've decided that I will go to the games, if only because I'd disappoint too many people who are very invested in seeing me go, and I'd probably kick myself for not going now that I have the chance.

Wildflower- read this: What is Crossfit for an explanation.

Rhonda- form is everything! even for should pass throughs, as I prefer to call them

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #17  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Nelie and Mel, thanks for the Crossfit info. Sounds pretty cool, I might have to look into it when I am done with school for the year and have some more free time.

I'm still chuggin along with NRFWL4W. Finished the first 4 parts of workouts A and B for Stage 1 (so the first 8 workouts). Moving on to part 5 tomorrow, which I think increases to 3 sets of reps. It's going well and I love it.

Saw a definate increase in shoulder strength while I was doing sirsansana (headstand) last night in yoga class, pretty cool. I'm one of the only people in the class who does her headstand against a wall and after 3+ years of doing headstand regularly, I'd like to be able to move to the middle of the room! I can balance fine without the wall when i've tried at home, it's just that in class we have to hold it really long and I don't quite have the strength / confidence to go for this in class. Soooooon!
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #18  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Nelie, sorry to hear that you have to give up cross-fit for financial reasons. I gave it up for joint injuries and am quite happy with my progress under my new routine, but I understand the attraction ... and the disappointment of having to give up something you want, even if it's for something else you want. We'll have to cross-fit vicariously through Mel, Cheryl, and the other cross-fitters on the board!

I'm also still chugging along. I'm slowly rebuilding strength after kind of a disastrous spring in terms of work-interfering-with-exercise. Good news is that my weight is exactly on target -- 140. I benched 145 for a couple of reps yesterday, which is down from my PR but I figure any bench +/- 5 pounds of BW is a Good Thing.

Now, if only my squat numbers would bounce back, too...

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

OK, Kim, I think I'll lose 100 pounds, then think about pressing that

I looked at my record book of exactly one year ago. I was doing dead lifts with the 45 pound bar. I did 3 sets of 10 reps. Today I did 10 reps at 132, followed by 6 reps at 162. Progress!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #20  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Nelie: Best of luck with your education plans. It is a trade off but it doesn't have to be permanent. Just keep looking at the bigger picture and how you want it to be.

Finally able to return to back squatting. It's been hit/miss for me too Kim, crazy life stuff and injuries get in the way. But at least I can still get back in there and begin again. Off to tackle stuff growing in the front yard. Have a great weekend everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #21  
Workin' It

Nelie - sorry that you have to drop the CF sweetie.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #22  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Nelie, sorry to hear about having to drop CF. Do they have a cleaning crew, or do the owners do that themselves? Maybe they'd let you trade once weekly cleaning for training, like I do? Gives them more free time, costs them nothing, and it's just a few hours a week for you. Might be worth a try.

to everybody! I've been awol for longer than I thought. Just finished reading and catching up.

Mel, congrats on making it to the Games...woot! One of our gals made it, too, so you'll see her there. Lisa L from Rainier CF, she got 12th, I think, though I'm not sure which masters division she's in...the youngest group, I think. She's sweet as they come, and badass like you, of course. Hope you all have a great time competing in CA! I'd love to go watch this year, but doubt it will be in the budget. I'll be watching online, though, and cheering for you all the way!

As for me, I'm on day 17 of my clean eating plan. Down almost 10 lbs, waist is down almost 3 inches with the water weight bloat gone. Feeling much better. 4 weeks to go till my ultramarathon attempt...eep! I'm excited, scared, all that, of course. Feel like I'm as ready as I can be, feel confident of finishing as long as nothing goes horribly wrong with my electrolytes/stomach/hydration that day, so mostly worried that I'll be embarrassingly slow. Hopefully, when the day comes, I'll remember to just go out and have fun, and all the nerves and worry about being slow will go away!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #23  

Good work on the eating plan, Cheryl. I have been eating more carefully and consciously this week. I cleared out all the tempting stuff and I just ask myself "is this good for me; part of the overall goal?" about everything I eat. It's having a good effect.

Just four weeks before the big event; it's wonderful that you feel ready

I hope you're all having a great Mothering Day for all the nurturing things that you do!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #24  
Workin' It

Cheryl - don't worry about being horribly slow. The only one you are really competing with is you, so just do your best.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #25  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: Slow or not, your accomplishing way more in your endurance training abilities than most people would even consider attempting. Good luck within these next few weeks. I also want to say nice job in your diet these past few weeks.

I officially have one week in. I'm only down two pounds but I'll take it. Seriously for me it's not so much the scale number as I have mentioned before...I'm just not feeling the definition I want. No worries though, I feel like I've gotten my second wind compared to this fall/winter so I have the focus to make it work.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #26  

The trainer and I modified my program again today because he is still concerned about overtraining. That's all right with me because this week DH and I are at his DD's taking care of her three young ones (5, 3 and 1) while she and her husband have a vacation from it all. I'll appreciate a lighter program.

Mostly we just took some weight load down a bit and reduced the number of reps on some exercises. It's clear that side and reverse lunges, weighted at 25 pounds and 35 pounds, respectively, are my most challenging. I also have a pulling pain in my right groin while lunging that makes me want to back off a bit. But, all is well really. I'm enjoying it.

I'm on about day 10 of seriously watching what I eat. I'm not weighing or measuring, just looking at how clothes fit.

Last edited by Tejas; 05-09-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #27  
Yogini

Hi Everyone!!!

Still going along with NROWL4W. Will be finishing Stage 1 in 2 weeks.

I'm starting to have pain in my knees though. I'm not one to ever have knee pain, so it's a bit disconcerting. It's mainly during the squat and lunges.

Can anyone share a reputable link on how to do a proper lunge? I've googled, but they seem to vary from video to video. I think from years of doing lunges in yoga, I am doing them way too wide, and also, should your bent knee be in line with your ankle or just not past your toes? I am feeling the most pain in "trailing leg" is this the one i am meant to be working in a lunge?

Sorry for all the questions!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #28  

Where is the knee pain? Is it in the joint, or in the muscle/ligaments above your knees, or??? When does it begin, and how long does it last? Does it interfere with function?

I do a lot of squats and lunges, with weights. My knees never hurt while doing them (I do a LOT of warm up) but within 24 hours the area above the knee cap is sore and lasts for at least another 12 hours. The orthopedist told me that as long as function is not impeded, and the pain is not right in the joint, don't worry about it. I definitely "feel it" going up and down stairs, but it does not last.

Last edited by Tejas; 05-11-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #29  
Yogini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas View Post
Where is the knee pain? Is it in the joint, or in the muscle/ligaments above your knees, or??? When does it begin, and how long does it last? Does it interfere with function?

I do a lot of squats and lunges, with weights. My knees never hurt while doing them (I do a LOT of warm up) but within 24 hours the area above the knee cap is sore and lasts for at least another 12 hours. The orthopedist told me that as long as function is not impeded, and the pain is not right in the joint, don't worry about it. I definitely "feel it" going up and down stairs, but it does not last.
Thanks Tejas! the pain is above my knee cap - almost feels like a "ripping" or stretching feeling. I feel it on the leg that's behind (if that makes sense), not on the one actually in the lunge position. I'm not sure if it interferes with the function...maybe..but I might be trying to go down to low with that leg??
Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #30  

Wildflower: I guess I should have been more clear about "function." The orthopedist said "If you can't walk across a room, or go up and down stairs then you have a problem." Next he said that it's quite normal to feel something while doing lunges and squats but not to stress about it unless it really prevented me from doing daily tasks.

I'll search for some videos if someone else doesn't post something soon.