Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I got "dismissed" by the orthopedist today. He says that the calcification on my right knee will not cause any problems unless I somehow injure it. So, as he said earlier, I can do anything that doesn't hurt while I'm doing it. And, no jumping or running. I don't do much of either so it's not a huge loss.

I hope everyone is at the gym and eating well.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #17  
Mel

Congratulations for being "dismissed" Rhonda. My knees have actually gotten better over the last 10 years. They used to crack, creak and hurt. And make an awful grinding sound. If I run more than about 4-5 miles, it's painful, but losing, keeping the weight off, and lifting has really helped.

I'm doing too many intense workouts and sectionals and am dreading whatever they post in an hour for this week's sectional WOD. I tripped down a concrete step on Saturday ( grace and agility are NOT my strong suits) and have a sore back as a souvenir. Fun

Hope everyone is well and it's not as gray and rainy wherever you are as is is in Philadelphia!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My workouts have been somewhat lackluster the last few months but I'm trying to be consistent. I went yesterday and then went today. Today was deadlifts . I have a new PR, 213 up from my last PR of 203.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #19  

Mel, I hope you've recovered from your fall.

Nelie, congratulations on your new PR. I had to go down some on the deadlift. I need tougher calluses on my hands But, I was able to increase the reps with good form, so I feel like I'm headed in the right direction.

This week I did intervals and steady state cardio on the elliptical on four mornings, and actually enjoyed it. What?!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #20  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Nelie, congrats on the DL PR...nice one!

Mel, how'd the sectionals wod go for you this past week? Hope you're feeling better after that fall.

Rhonda, glad to hear you've gotten the release for your workouts!

Did "Lynne" for the first time last week. It has bench presses in it. I couldn't do the rx'd bodyweight BP , but I did get to try using a bench for the presses, first time in over 2 years that I've done a bench press. Had to get some remedial coaching to remember how to do it, but it was fun. I could tell by the last 2 rounds that it was starting to bug my shoulder, not painfully but just by the way my body wanted to roll to the "good" side to take pressure off, so I won't be doing it again any time soon, but it was fun to do a heavy BP again.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 04-19-2011 at 08:21 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #21  

I looked at "Lynne" on-line. I'm impressed.

I'm also impressed with my progress. One of my sets in my new routine is the reverse lunge, using the Valslides, while holding a bar overhead. I've gone from using the 25 pound bar to using the 45 pound one today, after two weeks of doing this routine. I did one set of 9, then went down to 37.5 pounds for the next set. Next time 45 pounds for both sets

I'm staying off the scales for a while, but today I wore some pants, comfortably, that I wore when I weighed 10 pounds less. Amazing!

Last edited by Tejas; 04-20-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #22  
Mel

I haven't ever done "Lynne" but I do miss heavy bench presses. My shoulders don't.

I did a test run of the 5th sectional WOD yesterday- my hands are shredded from toes to bar and I think this is the WOD that is going to knock me out of the to 20 in my age class

Hello to all- sorry I've been so scarce, but life is crazy. As some of you may have noticed, I resigned as a moderator here. I have no time to do a good job at checking in, let alone moderating. We are a pretty peaceful bunch here anyway.

Mel
Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #23  

Mel, I'm sure we're peaceful because we follow your advice about "chocolate and wine" and remember to "dance in the rain."
Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #24  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh I'm so glad that I went yesterday because the Wod today is that fifth sectional wod (I think).

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
5 Power Cleans (145/100)
10 Toes to Bar
15 Wallballs (Men: 20# to 10′ target | Women: 14# to 9′ target)

Instead, I did

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Squat Jumps (12″ Jump)
Plyo Pushups
Ring Rows

Which tired me out. We also did 5x5 front squats prior to the wod and Situps afterwards.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #25  
Mel

Yup, nelie, that was the 5th sectional WOD. My hands are torn to shreds from the toes to bar. I couldn't even hang from the bar today
Old 04-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #26  
Workin' It

Hey everyone - I'm still working out, I'm just not posting it again. I swear I'm still doing it.

I've been doing a 3 day FB workout the last couple of weeks, and have been more sore than I expected. After six weeks of pretty hard CF style circuit workouts the FB workout with 3-5 lifts per session seemed pretty easy. At the time. The day after a session my legs can totally feel it, though.

Good weekend everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #27  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Mel, just about everybody I know ripped their hands on that wod, including me. Mine have been shredded since a hero wod we did at our gym in March, just as they would heal over we'd have another pull-up fest. Been taping the bejeepers out of them in self defense, but this last wod I got a new rip on my ring ringer. I think I was finger gripping because the tape was a bit slippery.

Shannon, like you, been doing it, not posting.

Rhonda and Nelie, nice job on those workouts!

The only worthy news from here is that I finally buckled down and got my eating back on track, 3 days in the bank now, and down 4.4 lbs of water weight/sodium bloat! Seems so easy to stick to this eating plan now that I'm over the hump of the first day cravings. Went out to dinner last night, thought about cheating, and then thought, "to (heck) with that!" and kept it OP.

I am thinking I will do some deadlifts tomorrow, depending what shows up for a mainsite wod later today. We're currently working a little behind the mainsite, which is great, since it gives me a chance to plan runs and skills practice for the week.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #28  

Congratulations Cheryl on getting back to better eating.

Last Friday I got very fatigued after just one lower body strength exercise, following all the warm-ups. The trainer said to rest all weekend, so I did. Today we did the lower body again. I had more strength and stamina but we're going to cut back the sets to just one, and not two, of each exercise. We'll try this for a week and see what happens.

I've also been tap dancing like a fool, having performance and practice commitments. We have a HUGE performance coming up on Saturday at an Arts and Jazz Fest, and I think that is all contributing to my fatigue. My fellow tappers are all fatigued, and they don't work out at all, except to dance.

I hope the Easter Bunny didn't make everyone eat too much chocolate. I had a busy week, going to an extended family Passover Seder and a family Easter breakfast. Gefilte fish and chocolate just don't mix.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 AM   #29  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Rhonda, we pretty much skipped Easter here, so no chocolatey temptations to worry about.

On the scale, back in the 170s today. I never thought I'd be glad to see that on the scale again, but it beats the heck out of the 180s I was hitting last week. Kept the eating OP today, and got in a good workout. Did my warm-up, then a few sets of deadlifts. Thought I'd try for a new 5RM with the strongman axle (2" diam. barbell), since I hadn't done that since last May. My old one from May was 183, today I got 213#. woot!

After that, I did the "Dirty Dozen" wod from Saturday (mainsite). Wow, this was one of those "everything but the kitchen sink" wods, where you wonder what in heck they were thinking (or drinking) when they wrote it. Used just about everything in the gym but a barbell. I scaled down the box jump height to avoid having to step down every rep, subbed assisted bar dips for ring dips, and used a 44# KB instead of 53, but everything else I was able to do as prescribed, plus I scaled the sit-ups up to GHD sit-ups, so I was happy, despite my slow time overall. Great workout. Absolutely crushed my everything, and the first time in a long time I've had to stop moving till the feeling of "I'm gonna puke" passes, lol.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #30  
Workin' It

I have had a pretty awful last few days and as such haven't exercised since Saturday. I didn't make my planned FB workout Sunday or my run yesterday. I feel terrible today, but I think some of it may be from not exercising. Planning on getting my FB workout in this afternoon.

My HRM died - I was planning on asking for some pullup straps for my upcoming birthday, but now I might need a new HRM instead.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote