Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #31  
Working My Way Back Down

Rabbit - can I assume you don't skate?? Me either. My DH skates several times a week - basically for active rest (i.e. he doesn't count it as exercise) He of couse skates in a rink. Not that it's very warm there - in fact it's quite chilly.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #32  

hi Pat,
How did you guess? I was born & lived in the carribean untill I was 14, so I never developed the love for snow and ice....I have a tendency to go to the beach evereywhere I can.

Mel - congrats on getting the lifting shoes, I'm curious what they do for your WO

Sacha - enjoy the rest!

depalma - good to see you around

Today is the first working day after the holidays, and this is my BOP (back on plan) week.
i'll start with my WO the moment I get out of bed.

Have a Great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #33  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning! Welcome on board, deverchick! There's a nice mixed bag of people here.

BOP for me, too, but probably starting tomorrow as the DB isn't back at school till then.

Cold enough for you, rabbit? -7C here & the front door is frozen to the door frame. Can't pull too hard as the frame is moving ... Back door has been sticking for a while. Will get on to it after some coffee.

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-04-2010 at 02:56 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #34  
Mel

Depalma- Thanks for the feed back on the Chucks. (Alena- they are the old style converse basketball shoes.) I'd be happy with stability, if not more power! I just looked at the Rogue reverse hyper. Nope, we don't have one. We have been using the Ham-Glute Developers to do both ab work and reverse hypers, tho.

Shannon- I can't imagine doing that much decorating! This year, due to a frenetic kitten, our tree only had ribbons and Christmas cards tucked into it. It looked nice and was super easy to clean up!

back to normal life....

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #35  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hey Silver and Pat: Reporting in that it is crazy cold here in the Midwest as well. I'm actually digging out the big red parka that is three sizes too big. Just for the record...I'm a warm weather, beach lovin' girl, too. Hate snow and mostly ice. Thankfully though, I'm not in Cleveland...schools closed today due to lake effect snow. Right after the winter break...those poor parents.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #36  

Hi people,

So far I'm on track. Started bright and early with 30 mins run on the treadmill, followed by some meditation while waiting for DD to get out of the shower.
Then on to snow cardio: getting my car out from the cover of frost & snow.

Silver - I think we have similar weather. Frozen front door??? I hate to ask...you do have central heating I hope? What 's up with still no school for DB?

Denverchick hi!

On to the next thing,
rabbit

One funny aspect of the cold: my cats now LOVE DSs bathroom...it has felectric floor heating that switches on automatically early in the morning. DS bathroom is suddenly very popular for the old cat, who loves to lie on his laundry on the heated floor.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #37  
in development

Rabbit - no, no central heating here. Three old storage heaters, a wood burning stove and a new storage heater in the new garden room. It's not the most basic place I've lived but it's certainly not very 21st century either. 1840s to be exact. And too far from the road for gas ch. Beautiful but we hope to move sooner rather than later.

Door is now OK and I've removed all ice and crud.

Some schools are back today, others tomorrow.

I'm going to look at the Beck (CBT) programme. The people on the Beck thread seem pretty enthused. Any comments here?

Think I'll put on another jumper & light the fire!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #38  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hey peeps,

I'm here. Been traveling, but still reasonably good about working out. Day passes for gyms seem to be cheap this year. Must be the economy.

My regular gym is closed until Jan 25, so I have to use one of the "chrome-n-tone" satellites. No oly lifting for a while. No roman chair situps, either. On the plus side, it's easier to do the crossfit metcon workouts, because the rowers etc are in the same room as the free weights. My usual gym has better lifting facilities, but the cardio equipment is separated from the weights by two flights of stairs, an ID check station, and a fourfold increase in estrogen level. Guess I'll be emphasizing conditioning rather than strength this month.

I don't typically "do" new year's resolutions, but this year I broke down and resolved to lose some of the fat I've accumulated over the year. I've gained quite a bit of muscle, too, but it's getting to the point where my pants are, um, shrinking. A few months of clean eating ought to do the trick, even without an increase in exercise. So, you may see a bit more of me here. I've also resurrected my 3fc blog, now titled "14 by 41." Stop on by!

OT on Chuck Taylors ... my aunts scrounged up some of the few pictures of my parents from their wedding 50 years ago, for an anniversary book I put together. (With mypublisher.com, incidentally, which I highly recommend.) One of the pictures, circa 1959, shows my parents wearing Chuck Taylors. I'm not sure what tickled my fancy more: seeing my parents in their 20s, or seeing my parents within shouting distance of fashionable. (I wouldn't use the adjective "high fashion" to describe either of their sartorial styles. "Backcountry hiking casual" would be more accurate.)

Be strong,
K
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #39  
No description available.

I'm cold just reading this thread.....brrrr.....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #40  

kaw - are those your abs in your avatar??? No fat there!

Silver - I shudder to think..1840 s house. Probably very romantic. How is the plumbing? what are storage heaters?
I did the beck book last year...I like the stuff about getting to know why you eat like you do, why consistency is so hard. I saw a lot of similarities with the "my weight coach" NDS game all about motivating yourself & try to get new habits. But some of the steps need lots more time (like the get rid of emotional eating step, I still am an emotional eater) and I did not manage the tracking of all the healthy rules you had to do. Maybe I'll give it another go later this year.

Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 01-04-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #41  
in development

Thanks for the Beck feedback, rabbit. I'm not sure whether I'll get on with the tone but I'll give it a go.

Yes, very romantic here. We've just finished a traditional leaping dance, flapping blankets and tea towels to stop the smoke alarm shrieking when the wind blew smoke back down the chimney. As I often say, it's what I go to the gymn for - otherwise I'd pull a muscle. Oh! But you can do that at the gymn, can't you?

A storage heater is a metal box filled with bricks which are heated up using off-peak (= cheap) electricity. The heat is released later and controlled through vents. Once all the stored heat has been released that's that. OK for background heat & to keep unoccupied properties from freezing up but pretty hopeless really. Plumbing is now fine, thank you, especially since we had the collapsed drains mended the summer before last. Yes, we have running water and not (as in the old joke) down every wall!

Kim - good to see you.

midwife

Back to the GYMN tomorrow. I'll have to pace myself or I'll do myself in.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #42  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit View Post
kaw - are those your abs in your avatar??? No fat there!
Rabbit
Yeah, as of 11/2007. They're still around, but hidden under a comfie layer of padding. Well, I can still see 'em when the lighting is right, I'm "sitting" into my abs, and the wind is from the southwest, but I'm no where near as "cut" as back then. Must be turning 40 that did it. Yeah, that's it, had nothing whatsoever to do with peanut butter.

I thought this photo would be a good for me. Besides, midwife is using the back shot, and I found myself getting confused!

Workout accomplished for the day. Working on muscle-ups. Not much success so far, but I'll keep plugging away.

be strong,
K
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #43  
Mel

Hi Kim I've never even tried a muscle up...they just seem intimidating. Your workouts sound fun. How do you even find the right equipment in a regular gym? Or the space? You know what you need to do to have the abs back I lost all my weight post-40, so it's doable.

Silver- I haven't read the Beck book, but it's on my endless list. I definitely like what I do know about it and I think the maintainers who have incorporated Beck principles have an easier time with maintenance. Just my uninformed 2 cents.

Silver- WHY? When we moved to PA, I had romantic visions of renovating an old farm house or barn. Never mind that I had a 6 month old and an 80 year old living with me. My realtor informed me that it was a divorce pit idea and that my grandmother would end up falling. It was good advice.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 AM   #44  

hi all,

Silver - this must be a very beautifull romantic house. I have dreamed of such a house, but I know I could never do all the maintenance. Is an additional electric heater (on expensive day electricity admittedly) an option if the storage heaters are cooled down?

Re: Beck book: I like the principles of CBT, and I have incorporated some of the principles but digressed from the weekly programs after the first couple of weeks. I'm more of a picker & chooser as for what is doable
long term.

Kim - mystery solved. And there is life (fortunately) after 40! I just googled the muscle-up; major kudos on attmpting this!

Mel, midwife

I'm off to do some lifting.
added later: did 30 mins lifting & ended with shaking arms & legs syndrome.

Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 01-05-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #45  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Kim,
Your abs make me drool. My colleagues at work always think it's an attack of rabies until they realize I am reading 3FC. Then they say, 'oh, she's reading THAT again!'.

I exercised with Jackie Warner last night, no time to go to the gym. 20 minutes lower bod, 20 minutes abs. Some of the abs exercises are hard for me because the left side of my lower back is acting up again.

I was in Walmart on Sunday and for some unknown reason I found myself in the DVD section so I checked what fitness DVD's they have. I ended up buying not the new Jackie Warner (I'll wait till it goes down in price) but a little cardio/sculpt DVD by Amy Dixon, for $3.85 (I think it's not exactly new).
I played it and I am in love. It is an adorable fun video, the moves are very similar to Zumba moves (so I think the heart rate will go nicely up) plus there is a little sculpting thrown in (with 3 lb DB's but at least she doesn't say "no woman should ever lift heavier than 3 lbs". It's 35 minutes and it will be perfect for what should be my off days this month (of course with DB's just a tad heavier than 3 lbs LOL).

Gotta google up Beck.

Where's Cheryl hiding?

Wishing you all a nice day,
Alena

Last edited by Tomato; 01-05-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote