Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #1  
gea

Default Does Body for Life work?

I have tried so many weight loss programs and I am desperate to lose weight.

So I am wondering whether the body of life really works?

Thanks.
gea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Body for Life has a great workout program for a for someone starting out in bodybuilding, after a while though, probably the 12 weeks of the program, you would need to change/modify the workout. I still eat BFL style 5-6 meals /day with a protein and carb at each meal. I do more cardio than what the program asks for and I try not to have a free day every week, but life gets in the way and I do fall off the wagon at times...

Any program is good if you stick to it, I would recommend that if you decide to do BFL to do it by the book the first time around, you should see great results.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

Body For Life is a good program, especially for beginners. It does a nice job of explaining exercise and nutrition and dispelling some myths and confusion.

It's also not a diet so much as a lifestyle change. Ergo, it's something you can do long-term.

Last edited by Hale_Mary; 09-07-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #4  
gea

Thanks for your replies.

hrbabe- Could you tell me the difference between the womens book compared to the Bill phillips book? Why is it better?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #5  

Hi gea,

I'm not hrbabe, but I have read both books and I find the women's book is more informative on women's issues because it specifically focusses on women in different stages of their lifes. Also, I found the womens book more realistic in terms of dealing with life, which tends to get in the way. The original book is more direct in saying this is what you have to do, so just do it.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Good synopsis Rabbit! I agree, that the woman's book author - being a woman - is much more sympathic and realistic about the time even the most enthusiastic and committed woman has to give to exercise. Even so, either program is good, and I'm willing to bet that most people tweak it so it works for them.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I also found that the exercises in the woman's book were easier for me to follow and the whole 3 sets of decreasing reps but increasing weight were explained to me where I got it, and the whole Bill book just was not clear for me. I do more cardio that the book recommends, but other than that, it's spot-on for me.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #8  

it does and you can tweak the program if necessary to get the best benefits for your own body.
buffedstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #9  

This forum (LWL) actually started as a body for life forum ... if you look under the Basic Bodybuilding sticky, there is mostly body for life stuff posted. I used to start every thread with that. But the people who were here in the beginning did a few challenges (I did 2.5) and then moved onto more intense work and other general body building (so the forum was changed to LWL) but YES, it does work and it really really helps get you moving (literally and figuratively) in the right direction. And definitely buy the Bill Phillips book and not that crappy BFL for women book. Good luck!
susanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #10  
gea

Thankyou for the great replys.

I am definitely going to give this a go.

Is it necessasry to take all the supplements advised?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #11  
Mel

You don't need any supplements, just good whole food and probably a multi-vitamin. Remember, when Bill Philips wrote the original book, he was president of EAS, a supplement company. I do take glutamine everyday because I find it really helps with sore muscles and fights off respiratory infections, but none are necessary. In the original book, he suggests using creatine. My recommendation would be to avoid it like the plague. It causes cells (mostly muscle) to hold more water, but for some women it just causes general bloating. I know some women who have had great results with it, and some who have had really dismal experiences. If you are doing this for weightloss and health, I'd avoid it.

Protein powders and meal replacements are a convenient way to get nutrients when it's difficult to have real food. For example, I have meal 2 at 10 am when I'm usually training clients. I CAN'T walk around the gym with chicken and broccoli, but I can carry a shaker bottle with a protein drink. Just a convenience.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #12  

I agree with Mel (of course ).

I did do creatine during my first BFL but I would not do it again. I do recommend glutamine for sore muscles and a good multivit.

I take calcium, vitD and magnesium because of my osteo and I do glucosomine/chronditin/MSM for my joints. I also do a good multivit, a B complex and sublingual B12. In the middle of the day I do an iron tablet and a vitamin C apart from food or other supplements/vitamins.

For protein drinks, I use Champion Whey Stack (chocolate) which is the best tasting protein I've ever had. I put in powdered calcium (UpCalD) and some SF jello pudding mix to thicken it. I didn't like any of the EAS products that Bill is associated with. I used to do MetRx vanilla but only do Champion now that I've found it. I am not associated with the company or with netrition.com which is where I usually buy it from. I used to do the Nectars which are good if you don't like vanilla or chocolate. I did the Strawberry Kiwi for years until discovering Stack.

My supplements/vitamins and protein have been the result of injuries, medical issues and lots and lots of research into what works for me. I have tried a lot of things over the years and this current regiment is very suited to me. I eat 6 small meals a day and 3 of those are shakes. I do my vitamin and supplements because they address my issues.

But because of my STARTLING osteo diagnosis at a relatively young age, I recommend that ALL women over 35 take calcium supplements (citrate is better than carbonate) and Vit D and magnesium. That's just my take on it. The drugs they have for osteo have big side effects and I'm not ready to go on them yet...I'm trying to build my bones and muscles to avoid it....but I wish I had known all this years ago. It's one of those "Please tell someone" things for me. Please take your calcium!

and do what is right for you in your particular situation. Research, do your homework and tailor the vits and supps to you.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #13  
gea

Thanks susanje and Mel for your replies.

I am currently taking fish oil also, have you found it helpful?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #14  

I did do Udo's blend which I found very helpful and if I could ever remember to order it I would use it again.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #15  
Mel

I take fish oil capsules every morning. I used to us Udo's, but ran out of ways to sneak it into my diet. Since I generally eat a very low fat diet, it's a source of healthy fats for me.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote