Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Default BFL -- week 2

I thought I'd start the new thread... I haven't weighed in today, my day is tomorrow

Congrats on those who have lost Dixie and Sportmom, I think, I read on the weekly thread? Keep it up girls, you keep us going...

Off to work ............
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #2  
No description available.

I did NOT have a stellar week. Not with our 12 week challenge, not even with maintenance.

The truth is I can't eat like everyone else. Not if I want to reach my goals. I can't have cake on a Sunday afternoon just cause it is there. I was watching all the other folks at the hospital eat cake too and the reality is is that most people I know are overweight. I don't ever want to go back there ever ever ever again.

I must engage in the behaviors that I KNOW will help me meet my goals. And clean eating is vital to that. Yes, I can have an occasional treat, but this week it was far more than occasional. Junk food is not good for me. I will fight this. And I will win. Cause I am in charge!!

Monday! A new week. I will plan my food and stick to my plan. Sometimes I get tired of renewing my commitment. But my only other choice is to NOT renew it, and those consequences are unacceptable.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Today, 08:16 AM #72 Lydia227 vbmenu_register("postmenu_2589458", true);

S/C/G: 188/132/120

Height: 5'2''

Fran: Great job on the loss. I also had a nice three pound loss by Saturday morning. I allowed Saturday as my free day and went back up two pounds by Sunday morning weigh in. I'm FINE with it. If you would have known what I ingested that day you would not feel sorry for me. So off to another great BFL week and more prudence on my free day.

Oh, and my Omron BodyFat anaylyzer was delivered over the weekend. The first time I took it my BF was 19%. I was so bummed because while it is a nice low number, my thought was at 19% I still have thighs that look like THIS?! (No definition and calves that still have visible cellulite. grrrr.)

I took it again in the am when you are supposed to, before drinking, eating, showering and had 21.2%. That actually made me happy. This way I feel like I seriously have something to work with here.

Okay. Off to shower. Good luck with the challenge this week everyone.

Lydia227View Public ProfileSend a private message to Lydia227Find More Posts by Lydia227Add Lydia227 to Your Buddy List

Today, 09:08 AM #73 midwife vbmenu_register("postmenu_2589556", true);
Persist. Believe.

Location: behind you. reading over your shoulder. fer real. don't look!

Oh Lydia! See, I think that is part of my problem. I know intellectually I have a good body fat percentage and I know I can work my tail off and it likely won't change much and I was thinking, I don't have much room for change. But then it occured to me---I have a ton of room to change in the other direction and that is reason enough to get strict here!

Name a shrub after me. Something prickly and hard to eradicate.

Hmm, let's see if this worked. I wanted to copy and paste so that we didn't lose some thoughts from the Week 1 thread.........

Lydia, that's an enviable bf%, but yes I get what you mean. Funny, bc on my scale, it tells me do the measurement in the evening, like before dinner, and NOT in the morning when you are dehydrated. Interesting that it is different.

Midwife (sorry, what is your name if you feel comfy telling?) - no, we CAN'T eat like everyone else! Wait, we CAN, but we'll either continue to look like ourselves, or if you have reduced, you will go back to where you are. I learned the same thing this weekend - it's not fair to deprive my kids of icecream, but I need to not partake alongside them.

I learned this weekend that it is as important to plan for your free day in your weekly logging and shopping as it is the rest of the other 6 days. BC you know what happens if you don't? You start saying, well, this can be my free meal. And this can be my free snack. And at the next dalliance, well, this is still my free day, etc., etc. So, when I went shopping this weekend, I pre-purchased chips and dip for NEXT Sunday, if I want them. Plus, we just found out we will be at a swim meet next weeked. But we can deal, just can't panic. We basically need to get a cooler just like we send dd with and pack our own snacks for the whole time and eat from that - not starve and wait for a dinner out afterward and not eat from concessions, not that we do that alot anyway. Anyway, the free meal turns into a free-for-all waaay too easily I learned. Even my kids started telling me, 'Mom, you can't eat that.' or 'I thought it was a free MEAL not a free DAY??' I also think seeing early success on the scale on Sunday morning kind of gave me a slacker's attitude. But you know what, I should turn that around and say BC of the great loss, I don't want to lose my ground! So for next week I have planned to have a FREE SNACK to kind of even it out for my free day(s) of this past weekend. I will only have a free snack. Like Lydia said, it's not worth it to give back part of your achievement the next morning! (I gave back a pound to the community chest this morning myself, but like you said, I know I will earn it back today.)

Last edited by sportmom; 02-02-2009 at 09:29 AM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #4  
No description available.

I'm yet another Jen. A girl child of the '70s, must be a Jen of course!

When I stick to a free meal I do okay, as long as I make overall good choices. Still has to be healthy food....the other problem I had was "Well, this can be my free day." Don't you remember that Tuesday was your "free day"?, I tell myself.

My plan of attack this week is be on plan. Rocket science, right? But I really am looking no farther than today....today I will be on plan. And then tomorrow and then the next day.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
(I gave back a pound to the community chest this morning myself, but like you said, I know I will earn it back today.)
[/CENTER][/LEFT]
Oh Fran. I think perhaps we could market an BFLopoly game here. What a great idea.

At the risk of sounding like I may be on the brink of an eating disorder, (really I'm not, anymore, I do consider the eating I did when I was obese to be a disorder) what has helped me in the past was not to focus upon the food even on my free day. It gives the food waaay too much power.

Previously on a free day, I would go about my day in a regular way, and if DH wanted to head out for pizza, I would say sure. Again, it was usually just one meal or just one treat on that day. The rest of the day was pretty clean.

Sometimes my freedays just didn't even happen. I would be a little disappointed at an opportunity missed but I was never disappointed with the next morning weigh in.

What I am cautioning against is this: when I bought my bag of pretzels on Friday knowing that the next day was my free day I was sure I could be responsible with it. Nope. Not. A. Chance. Shoot, I even made DH pick up extra mustard for me. Now, in my defense I was sitting at the table all day Sunday studying and when I do that I fell right into the pretzel bag face first. ~sigh~ (had a great workout this morning though. ) I now know that is was a trap I set for myself and I need to be extra vigilant about what I bring into the house. Treats belong out there on the street. You know, like that one time scoop of ice cream from Jeni's

Everyone must do what works for them and find there own way. I don't want to discourage anyone from experimenting and seeing what fits best for their challenge. But I did want to share mine and ahem, come clean.

Midwife: I so understand. I can't eat like everyone else either. Bottom line, I don't want to look like everyone else as well. It's a trade off. Got to say, though I was pretty darn happy with what I saw in the mirror this morning in my new gym. (better lighting in the free weight area)
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I'd love to order an Omron body fat thingy, was it very expensive? on this Canadian site it's $69.99 ... is it the one you have?

I'm looking forward to weighing myself tomorrow morning...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Just wanted to add I took pics yesterday .... my first thought was ''Is this what people see when I am walking away in my bathing suit.....GROSSSSS!!! ''

Last edited by Ilene; 02-02-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #8  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Ilene: What a difference in price! I would have never paid that much for it. I ordered on through Amazon. The reviews looked good and for the price I thought it would be just fine. I'm really only interested in trends...

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C...3594880&sr=8-1

There are different models and I really wasn't certain about the differences between them after reading about all of the reviews. I do recall that the one I chose did have an athlete setting.

Last edited by Lydia227; 02-02-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #9  

Hi BFLL,

Week 2 day 2:
Week 1 did not end well for me, the free day ended in 2 free days.
So I guess no more free days here.
On the good side, I did my 25 mins cardio this morning, and I'm going to power class in 30 mins. Food was also not stellar, missed the 3pm snack and overindulged when I finally could get it. Next time I have a doctor's appointment I'm NOT going to believe I'll be home in time for my snack; I was waiting for 70 minutes before I got my appointment. grrrr... AND what she told me could have been handled by phone. I absolutel HATE doctors careless attitude towards their patients time.

Enough vented.
What I notice is I feel better, have more energy, and unfortunately..still occasionally hungry & sweet cravings.
Tomorrow is UBWO.

Have a great day,
Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 02-02-2009 at 02:51 PM.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #10  

Treats belong on the street & tricks are for kids, huh? I LIKE it!!

No, I will heed the advice of those who've traveled before me, cuz you all know the deal. But I did try one of the "as the topic is brought up" attempts this weekend and it didn't go so well. It was dd's wanting breakfast out, then icecream, then dinner out. Yeah, they can go a little wild. Wonder where they learned it? They're fine for now, but when they stop growing in their late teens & 20's, I could see it becoming a problem. Have to train them correctly now.

Speaking of which, dd & I were sitting in dance sharing 2 clementines before class. While we were eating, another kid got a big pack of skittles from the snack box that they keep on hand for kids who are starving after class. Then she went back and got another. Yes, she had a weight problem. Yes, her dad was obese and said nothing to her (candy keeps 'em quiet so he can read his book and nod off). I know when the mom is there she steers them away from that box even tho she is heavy herself. And in the fall they'd bring in Dunkin's food and since the new year she's been bringing snacks from home. You could tell mom was off duty Saturday and the child was taking advantage of an opportunity. I found it interesting that while she was eating her specific fruit-flavored candy, we were eating the real fruit. Oh, and then after class, she asked her dad, can we go to Dunkins now? and he agreed. But hey, I've been there, using the kids' wants as a reason to get what we really want.

Guess what!! DH did BFL starting today! We did our ubwo together this morning. Seems the 1 min breaks are perfect for working as partners. He scared me tho - he's pretty out of shape. Like not limber at all - getting off and on the weight bench was hard. He's overweight and needs to lose about 60 lbs too but has it all in his belly. He's strong, but has lost his edge. He used to be in the military and all that that entails with physical fitness. Sigh, we've both let it slide. After he was done he had spaghetti arms (like dee mentioned last week and not driving) and said he was going to subway for lunch (like I give up!) I said, 'well, you can, but as bad as this was, you could look at it from the other side and instead of quitting use it as a real wake up call of how far off you are from where you THINK you are.' I think in the end he agreed. I plan on torturing him with HIIT tomorrow; he plans on keeping his 911 speed-dialing cell phone nearby! He's 50, he needs to get it together while he's still young and can make good choices.

Last edited by sportmom; 02-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, yesterday ended up as my "free day" and while it could have been worse (I certainly have done worse!) I should have quit after the brunch I went to and not been so free with dinner as well. But this is a new week. I did do my NRLW workout on Saturday, and found I hadn't backslid as far as I thought. I'm grocery shopping tonight, so I'll round out my food plan. Exercise this week:

M - HIIT Cardio
T - NRLW 1B
W - SS Cardio
Th - NRLW 1A
Fri - active rest
Sat - HIIT Cardio
Sun - NRLW or rest (I have to take DH to the airport Sat night for a 1am flight, may or may not stay in Anchorage with a friend)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #12  

S/C/G: Starting over

Well I wasn't intending on a "free day" but it was my son's birthday so a little bit of cake was had. All in all not too much damage was done.

Great to see everyone doing so well. I feel great about my workouts since I have been such a slug for awhile. However the scale just isn't budging so I have finally gotten around to some HIIT which I am going to add 2-3 times a week. I am mostly into the lifting and getting strong part but it would be nice to at least see some numbers in the 140s eventually.

I have been doing the NROL hypertrophy workout. It is completely killing me. I figure I will do this for 6 weeks and move on to one of his fat loss workouts.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Rabbit, my free day ran into two days also... I'm hoping it didn't do too much damage... Next weekend it may just be a free "treat" ONLY... Free day, sends me over the edge...

Today one little mishap, but I hope it didn't ruin everything ... I won't mention what it was in case it sends someone else over the edge, we should have a smilie going over a cliff ...

Off do do UBWO later...
Old 02-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #14  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Ilene - I came here to post the same question with the same link for the BF analyzer! It was the only online location that I could find for us Canadians! And yes, that price difference is craziness, but not surprising. I really want one but I'm not rushing to buy it yet. I'm going to do a little looking around first and if I find it anywhere else, I'll let you know.

Fran - good for you on getting DH on the BFL train! As I've mentioned, my DH is new to the gym and the training and I think I might be able to get him to join in (which would help a lot) but he's still figuring things out and, more importantly, starting a new job, so he's not sure what his hours will be or where or when the gym will fit in.

I'm a bit behind but I'm still thinking of hopping on the BFL train myself. Last week wasn't great, and I think it's what I need. Either way, I'm taking it one clean week at a time. I like the idea of the free day (if you can manage it without too much damage) but I really liked the idea that I read somewhere of two free meals. That seems sane and easy to manage. It seems like there's "always something" in the way of functions, parties or family dinners and the two free meals seem so doable. You just have to know yourself though and whether or not you can stick to the one or two meals or not.

Keep up the good work everyone...I'm envious and proud of your progress so far!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #15  

HELP ME!!!!! I have just eaten spaghetti with homemade meat sauce from extra lean ground beef. 2 servings, green beans.

I AM STARVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UGH. It is my metabolism , right???

These are the times when it does NOT make sense to pre-buy your free day treat.

BFL says (so someone said) if you are still hungry, eat. It was a lifting day. And no doubt I'm coming down off of yesterday's freebie, so Monday's are always going to be a challenge, no doubt. I don't remember being this hungry last week.... I mean, like I just finished dinner 1/2 hour ago starving. Like never really satisfied. Ugh