3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   BFL -- week 2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/163372-bfl-week-2-a.html)

Ilene 02-02-2009 08:15 AM

BFL -- week 2

I thought I'd start the new thread... I haven't weighed in today, my day is tomorrow :crossed:

Congrats on those who have lost Dixie and Sportmom, I think, I read on the weekly thread? Keep it up girls, you keep us going...

Off to work ............

midwife 02-02-2009 09:06 AM

I did NOT have a stellar week. Not with our 12 week challenge, not even with maintenance.

The truth is I can't eat like everyone else. Not if I want to reach my goals. I can't have cake on a Sunday afternoon just cause it is there. I was watching all the other folks at the hospital eat cake too and the reality is is that most people I know are overweight. I don't ever want to go back there ever ever ever again.

I must engage in the behaviors that I KNOW will help me meet my goals. And clean eating is vital to that. Yes, I can have an occasional treat, but this week it was far more than occasional. Junk food is not good for me. I will fight this. And I will win. Cause I am in charge!!

Monday! A new week. I will plan my food and stick to my plan. Sometimes I get tired of renewing my commitment. But my only other choice is to NOT renew it, and those consequences are unacceptable.

sportmom 02-02-2009 09:25 AM

Today, 08:16 AM #72 Lydia227 vbmenu_register("postmenu_2589458", true);

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/cust...tar47414_4.gif

S/C/G: 188/132/120

Height: 5'2''

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
Fran: Great job on the loss. I also had a nice three pound loss by Saturday morning. I allowed Saturday as my free day and went back up two pounds by Sunday morning weigh in. :lol: I'm FINE with it. If you would have known what I ingested that day you would not feel sorry for me. :rolleyes: So off to another great BFL week and more prudence on my free day.

Oh, and my Omron BodyFat anaylyzer was delivered over the weekend. The first time I took it my BF was 19%. I was so bummed because while it is a nice low number, my thought was at 19% I still have thighs that look like THIS?! (No definition and calves that still have visible cellulite. grrrr.)

I took it again in the am when you are supposed to, before drinking, eating, showering and had 21.2%. That actually made me happy. :crazy: This way I feel like I seriously have something to work with here. :lol3:

Okay. Off to shower. Good luck with the challenge this week everyone. :coffee:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/imag...er_offline.gif http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/imag...ons/report.gif http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/imag...tons/quote.gif http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/imag...iquote_off.gif http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/imag...quickreply.gif
Lydia227View Public ProfileSend a private message to Lydia227Find More Posts by Lydia227Add Lydia227 to Your Buddy List

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/imag...n/post_new.gif Today, 09:08 AM #73 midwife vbmenu_register("postmenu_2589556", true);
Persist. Believe.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/imag...ww_january.gif

Location: behind you. reading over your shoulder. fer real. don't look!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
Oh Lydia! See, I think that is part of my problem. I know intellectually I have a good body fat percentage and I know I can work my tail off and it likely won't change much and I was thinking, I don't have much room for change. But then it occured to me---I have a ton of room to change in the other direction and that is reason enough to get strict here!

Name a shrub after me. Something prickly and hard to eradicate.

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt...v/exercise.png

Hmm, let's see if this worked. I wanted to copy and paste so that we didn't lose some thoughts from the Week 1 thread.........

Lydia, that's an enviable bf%, but yes I get what you mean. Funny, bc on my scale, it tells me do the measurement in the evening, like before dinner, and NOT in the morning when you are dehydrated. Interesting that it is different.

Midwife (sorry, what is your name if you feel comfy telling?) - no, we CAN'T eat like everyone else! Wait, we CAN, but we'll either continue to look like ourselves, or if you have reduced, you will go back to where you are. I learned the same thing this weekend - it's not fair to deprive my kids of icecream, but I need to not partake alongside them.

I learned this weekend that it is as important to plan for your free day in your weekly logging and shopping as it is the rest of the other 6 days. BC you know what happens if you don't? You start saying, well, this can be my free meal. And this can be my free snack. And at the next dalliance, well, this is still my free day, etc., etc. So, when I went shopping this weekend, I pre-purchased chips and dip for NEXT Sunday, if I want them. Plus, we just found out we will be at a swim meet next weeked. :rolleyes: But we can deal, just can't panic. We basically need to get a cooler just like we send dd with and pack our own snacks for the whole time and eat from that - not starve and wait for a dinner out afterward and not eat from concessions, not that we do that alot anyway. Anyway, the free meal turns into a free-for-all waaay too easily I learned. Even my kids started telling me, 'Mom, you can't eat that.' or 'I thought it was a free MEAL not a free DAY??' I also think seeing early success on the scale on Sunday morning kind of gave me a slacker's attitude. But you know what, I should turn that around and say BC of the great loss, I don't want to lose my ground! So for next week I have planned to have a FREE SNACK to kind of even it out for my free day(s) of this past weekend. I will only have a free snack. Like Lydia said, it's not worth it to give back part of your achievement the next morning! (I gave back a pound to the community chest this morning myself, but like you said, I know I will earn it back today.)

midwife 02-02-2009 10:24 AM

I'm yet another Jen. :D A girl child of the '70s, must be a Jen of course! :lol:

When I stick to a free meal I do okay, as long as I make overall good choices. Still has to be healthy food....the other problem I had was "Well, this can be my free day." :doh: Don't you remember that Tuesday was your "free day"?, I tell myself.

My plan of attack this week is be on plan. :lol: Rocket science, right? But I really am looking no farther than today....today I will be on plan. And then tomorrow and then the next day.

Lydia227 02-02-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportmom (Post 2589592)
(I gave back a pound to the community chest this morning myself, but like you said, I know I will earn it back today.)
[/CENTER][/LEFT]

:rofl: Oh Fran. :chin: I think perhaps we could market an BFLopoly game here. What a great idea.

At the risk of sounding like I may be on the brink of an eating disorder, (really I'm not, anymore, I do consider the eating I did when I was obese to be a disorder) what has helped me in the past was not to focus upon the food even on my free day. It gives the food waaay too much power.

Previously on a free day, I would go about my day in a regular way, and if DH wanted to head out for pizza, I would say sure. Again, it was usually just one meal or just one treat on that day. The rest of the day was pretty clean.

Sometimes my freedays just didn't even happen. I would be a little disappointed at an opportunity missed ;) but I was never disappointed with the next morning weigh in.

What I am cautioning against is this: when I bought my bag of pretzels on Friday knowing that the next day was my free day I was sure I could be responsible with it. Nope. Not. A. Chance. Shoot, I even made DH pick up extra mustard for me. :rolleyes: Now, in my defense I was sitting at the table all day Sunday studying and when I do that I fell right into the pretzel bag face first. ~sigh~ (had a great workout this morning though. :devil:) I now know that is was a trap I set for myself and I need to be extra vigilant about what I bring into the house. Treats belong out there on the street. You know, like that one time scoop of ice cream from Jeni's :lol:

Everyone must do what works for them and find there own way. I don't want to discourage anyone from experimenting and seeing what fits best for their challenge. But I did want to share mine and ahem, come clean.

Midwife: I so understand. I can't eat like everyone else either. Bottom line, I don't want to look like everyone else as well. It's a trade off. Got to say, though I was pretty darn happy with what I saw in the mirror this morning in my new gym. (better lighting in the free weight area) ;)

Ilene 02-02-2009 11:27 AM

I'd love to order an Omron body fat thingy, was it very expensive? on this Canadian site it's $69.99 ... is it the one you have?

I'm looking forward to weighing myself tomorrow morning...

Ilene 02-02-2009 11:28 AM

Just wanted to add I took pics yesterday :faint: .... my first thought was ''Is this what people see when I am walking away in my bathing suit.....GROSSSSS!!! '' :fr:

Lydia227 02-02-2009 12:17 PM

Ilene: What a difference in price! I would have never paid that much for it. I ordered on through Amazon. The reviews looked good and for the price I thought it would be just fine. I'm really only interested in trends...

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C...3594880&sr=8-1

There are different models and I really wasn't certain about the differences between them after reading about all of the reviews. I do recall that the one I chose did have an athlete setting.

4rabbit 02-02-2009 12:26 PM

Hi BFLL,

Week 2 day 2:
Week 1 did not end well for me, the free day ended in 2 free days.
So I guess no more free days here.
On the good side, I did my 25 mins cardio this morning, and I'm going to power class in 30 mins. Food was also not stellar, missed the 3pm snack and overindulged when I finally could get it. Next time I have a doctor's appointment I'm NOT going to believe I'll be home in time for my snack; I was waiting for 70 minutes before I got my appointment. grrrr... AND what she told me could have been handled by phone. I absolutel HATE doctors careless attitude towards their patients time.

Enough vented.
What I notice is I feel better, have more energy, and unfortunately..still occasionally hungry & sweet cravings.
Tomorrow is UBWO.

Have a great day,
Rabbit

sportmom 02-02-2009 12:47 PM

Treats belong on the street & tricks are for kids, huh? I LIKE it!!

No, I will heed the advice of those who've traveled before me, cuz you all know the deal. But I did try one of the "as the topic is brought up" attempts this weekend and it didn't go so well. :shrug: It was dd's wanting breakfast out, then icecream, then dinner out. Yeah, they can go a little wild. Wonder where they learned it? They're fine for now, but when they stop growing in their late teens & 20's, I could see it becoming a problem. Have to train them correctly now.

Speaking of which, dd & I were sitting in dance sharing 2 clementines before class. While we were eating, another kid got a big pack of skittles from the snack box that they keep on hand for kids who are starving after class. Then she went back and got another. Yes, she had a weight problem. Yes, her dad was obese and said nothing to her (candy keeps 'em quiet so he can read his book and nod off). I know when the mom is there she steers them away from that box even tho she is heavy herself. And in the fall they'd bring in Dunkin's food and since the new year she's been bringing snacks from home. You could tell mom was off duty Saturday and the child was taking advantage of an opportunity. I found it interesting that while she was eating her specific fruit-flavored candy, we were eating the real fruit. Oh, and then after class, she asked her dad, can we go to Dunkins now? and he agreed. But hey, I've been there, using the kids' wants as a reason to get what we really want. :no:

Guess what!! DH did BFL starting today! We did our ubwo together this morning. Seems the 1 min breaks are perfect for working as partners. He scared me tho - he's pretty out of shape. Like not limber at all - getting off and on the weight bench was hard. He's overweight and needs to lose about 60 lbs too but has it all in his belly. He's strong, but has lost his edge. He used to be in the military and all that that entails with physical fitness. Sigh, we've both let it slide. After he was done he had spaghetti arms (like dee mentioned last week and not driving) and said he was going to subway for lunch (like I give up!) I said, 'well, you can, but as bad as this was, you could look at it from the other side and instead of quitting use it as a real wake up call of how far off you are from where you THINK you are.' I think in the end he agreed. I plan on torturing him with HIIT tomorrow; he plans on keeping his 911 speed-dialing cell phone nearby! :lol3: He's 50, he needs to get it together while he's still young and can make good choices.

WaterRat 02-02-2009 01:36 PM

Ah, yesterday ended up as my "free day" and while it could have been worse (I certainly have done worse!) I should have quit after the brunch I went to and not been so free with dinner as well. But this is a new week. I did do my NRLW workout on Saturday, and found I hadn't backslid as far as I thought. :) I'm grocery shopping tonight, so I'll round out my food plan. Exercise this week:

M - HIIT Cardio
T - NRLW 1B
W - SS Cardio
Th - NRLW 1A
Fri - active rest
Sat - HIIT Cardio
Sun - NRLW or rest (I have to take DH to the airport Sat night for a 1am flight, may or may not stay in Anchorage with a friend)

hikerchick 02-02-2009 04:31 PM

Well I wasn't intending on a "free day" but it was my son's birthday so a little bit of cake was had. All in all not too much damage was done.

Great to see everyone doing so well. I feel great about my workouts since I have been such a slug for awhile. However the scale just isn't budging so I have finally gotten around to some HIIT which I am going to add 2-3 times a week. I am mostly into the lifting and getting strong part but it would be nice to at least see some numbers in the 140s eventually.

I have been doing the NROL hypertrophy workout. It is completely killing me. I figure I will do this for 6 weeks and move on to one of his fat loss workouts.

Ilene 02-02-2009 05:24 PM

Rabbit, my free day ran into two days also... I'm hoping it didn't do too much damage... Next weekend it may just be a free "treat" ONLY... Free day, sends me over the edge...

Today one little mishap, but I hope it didn't ruin everything :rolleyes: ... I won't mention what it was in case it sends someone else over the edge, we should have a smilie going over a cliff :lol: ...

Off do do UBWO later...

elisa822 02-02-2009 06:38 PM

Ilene - I came here to post the same question with the same link for the BF analyzer! It was the only online location that I could find for us Canadians! And yes, that price difference is craziness, but not surprising. I really want one but I'm not rushing to buy it yet. I'm going to do a little looking around first and if I find it anywhere else, I'll let you know.

Fran - good for you on getting DH on the BFL train! As I've mentioned, my DH is new to the gym and the training and I think I might be able to get him to join in (which would help a lot) but he's still figuring things out and, more importantly, starting a new job, so he's not sure what his hours will be or where or when the gym will fit in.

I'm a bit behind but I'm still thinking of hopping on the BFL train myself. Last week wasn't great, and I think it's what I need. Either way, I'm taking it one clean week at a time. I like the idea of the free day (if you can manage it without too much damage) but I really liked the idea that I read somewhere of two free meals. That seems sane and easy to manage. It seems like there's "always something" in the way of functions, parties or family dinners and the two free meals seem so doable. You just have to know yourself though and whether or not you can stick to the one or two meals or not.

Keep up the good work everyone...I'm envious and proud of your progress so far!

:D

sportmom 02-02-2009 07:21 PM

HELP ME!!!!! I have just eaten spaghetti with homemade meat sauce from extra lean ground beef. 2 servings, green beans.

I AM STARVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :fr: :fr: :fr:

UGH. It is my metabolism :flame:, right???

These are the times when it does NOT make sense to pre-buy your free day treat. :no:

BFL says (so someone said) if you are still hungry, eat. It was a lifting day. And no doubt I'm coming down off of yesterday's freebie, so Monday's are always going to be a challenge, no doubt. I don't remember being this hungry last week.... I mean, like I just finished dinner 1/2 hour ago starving. Like never really satisfied. Ugh

sportmom 02-02-2009 09:00 PM

OK. Hunger has subsided. Nothing else eaten.

It's like my digestor revs up for food and then is like, what? you revved me up for just this? Are you kidding me? Where's the rest??

Forgot to mention that I took my photos again yesterday since we had the camera out for dh's starting photos. Am I dilusional to think I saw differences? Some subtle differences in the upper back - things shifting. And definitely some difference in the gap between my arms and my waist. Same clothes, same room, same size photos. Need to go back and look at those every time I get hungry.

Lydia227 02-02-2009 09:18 PM

Fran: Similar experience here. After feeling very real hunger for over an hour my appetite is difficult to immediately satisfy with the small meal. I also think fighting this hunger feeling all week long, day by day, sometimes hour by hour is the reason why I let go on my free day. I needed to feel full. I really hope this subsides a little bit.

One of the things I am going to be more mindful of is to drink 16 oz of water before the meal. It may help to feel "full" and water is needed to properly metabolize so it couldn't hurt. I am also going to try to end the meal with something relaxing like hot tea or decaf coffee. Something that both is warm, comforting, and signals to my brain that the meal is over. (Basically I'm replacing my pretzels with the drink)

Interesting conversation with one of my friends who has never been overweight. She stated that she can't go for more than two or three hours max without food. :chin: She describes the feeling of tiredness, weakness etc. Then, within twenty minutes of eating she gets her second wind. She described the things that I experience when I eat this way. Yet another sign that this has to be one of many correct courses to feeding our bodies.

midwife 02-02-2009 09:22 PM

Okay, 7:20 pm here and POP so far. Just the gym and a protein shake to go!

Fran, I've had weeks where I am super hungry. I try to drink a lot of water and then do a chore or something. Then if I'm still hungry have some protein and fruit or somesuch.

sportmom 02-02-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lydia227 (Post 2591216)
Interesting conversation with one of my friends who has never been overweight. She stated that she can't go for more than two or three hours max without food. :chin: She describes the feeling of tiredness, weakness etc. Then, within twenty minutes of eating she gets her second wind. She described the things that I experience when I eat this way. Yet another sign that this has to be one of many correct courses to feeding our bodies.

WOW! Thank you for sharing that. What interesting insight. Yes, I was trying to come up with what might be the best plan - I didn't care if it was the most restrictive, most work, or one that kept me most tied to home with prep work, I just wanted one that would work and made sense. I like these affirmations that we are on to something here. :yes:

Thanks Jen for that feedback too. I suppose this is why I bought the gum 2 weeks ago, but just forgot until now that I had it. As you guys know, I am already the queen of water drinking at about 128 oz a day for my kidney stones prevention, so adding more is just not really necessary or going to do anything for me at this point! :swim: The intense ongoing hunger must be related to winter time too. Stoking our furnaces and trying to keep warm and all. Extra good reason that this was the right time to start - take advantage of the season.

Ilene 02-02-2009 11:37 PM

I can't wait for tomorrow after the leg workout I had today, I too, will be ravenous :rolleyes: ... Yes, :yes: working out hard revs up my metabolism too and sometimes within an hour and a half I am again hungry, **** sometimes within finishing my meal I'm still hungry ...

Mel, was telling us a few years ago that she ALWAYS felt hungry, I'm not sure if she still feels hunger like that all the time, but I would think it's because she works out with such intensity... But, hey, small price to pay?

Lydia, that is interesting about your "skinny" friend, I hate skinny friends :tantrum: I have only ONE skinny friend like that, all the others are slightly to a LOT overweight... go figure :shrug: ...

elisa--- Let's keep in touch about that BF monitor :yes: .... I wonder if we can order from Amazon.com?

Ok, getting late here... time for bed...

elisa822 02-03-2009 08:56 AM

Ilene - I'm pretty sure that we cannot order from Amazon.com. The site knows your IP address and directs you to Amazon.ca, which is fine for most books etc. but not for these types of items. Amazon.ca doesn't carry anywhere near the same variety of items. Sometimes it's just so ridiculous how close we are and yet so far!! If I find it anywhere else, I'll let you know!

midwife 02-03-2009 08:57 AM

Food yesterday was POP. I did a serious leg workout and my rear end is already massively sore. Usually it takes a couple of days.....

Will run intervals after work.

Have a great day all!

Ilene 02-03-2009 10:21 AM

Elisa, I am only 20 mins away from Massena NY, I wonder how I could get it delivered there somehow...

Midwife, my butt is sore already too :dance: , my hammies from the lunges, OUCH!!

Tomato 02-03-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elisa822 (Post 2591836)
Ilene - I'm pretty sure that we cannot order from Amazon.com. The site knows your IP address and directs you to Amazon.ca, which is fine for most books etc. but not for these types of items. Amazon.ca doesn't carry anywhere near the same variety of items. Sometimes it's just so ridiculous how close we are and yet so far!! If I find it anywhere else, I'll let you know!

Elisa, I don't think this is true - I have ordered from Amazon.com before. About 2 years ago, I got a $100 gift certificate at work and it was for Amazon.com - I had no problem ordering.

Alena

Ilene 02-03-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomato (Post 2592221)
Elisa, I don't think this is true - I have ordered from Amazon.com before. About 2 years ago, I got a $100 gift certificate at work and it was for Amazon.com - I had no problem ordering.

Alena

Was there shipping and handling or customs problems?

Ilene 02-03-2009 02:38 PM

This OMRON BF 300 Body Fat Monitor is on Ebay.ca for approximately C $10.51 and the shipping would only be 7$ something.... I've never bid on e-bay, so I have not clue... there's only an hour left for the bidding... http://i18.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/2e/33/3bd2_1.JPG

WaterRat 02-03-2009 02:54 PM

Oh, that's what they are! My gym has someone who comes in with one at least once a month. I haven't had my BF tested for quite some time, maybe I will when the 12 weeks is over......

sportmom 02-03-2009 03:10 PM

Hey chickies!

Well got up eeearly this morning to get the HIIT cranked out before the kiddies awoke. I got down to the basement and dh was there just sitting, and I was like, 'are you done?' Long story short, he had not even started! I went all drill sergeant on him and his 10 excuses about doing it later, doing it on the elliptical, too sore to move from yesterday, etc. Had an answer for everyone one of them, mostly that he can't break the Plan! THe PLAN calls for cardio before breakfast - you must abide by the Plan!!! I was all crazy! ...but serious. I was like if you don't follow it to the letter, it won't work, you'll say it's too hard for only 2 lbs lost, and you'll quit. You do it legitimately the first week to see what's possible. Told him I couldn't help him on the elliptical as the program I made was for the treadmill and I didn't know what his max would be on the ellip. Told him his arms would feel BETTER if he worked out now rather than later (we all know that's true, right?) By gosh he got up there and did it! Wasn't happy, but was happy at the end and got to experience that great feeling of being done with your workout first thing in the morning instead of having it hang over your head.

So I sat thru that 20 minutes and then got on myself and did my workout. I felt really heavy today, not sure why. I may try going faster next week if it feels the same way on Thursday. Don't want to increase too quickly though and risk injury or mental checkout.

Tomato 02-03-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilene (Post 2592613)
Was there shipping and handling or customs problems?

Hi Ilene,
No, none whatsoever.

Alena

jamsk8r 02-03-2009 04:00 PM

Hey ladies. :wave:

Week 1 report: I missed 3 workouts last week. I'm shooting for POP with the workouts for Feb. Seems like one "rest day" always turns into 2 or 3, so if I need a recovery day, I'll be walking or something, just so I don't get into the habit of a no workout day. No weight loss to report, but the scale was all over the place due to TOM and lifting, so I'm still waiting to see some kind of trend on the scale.

On the free food, I just wanted to say that I couldn't handle the BFL free day, either. Even a free meal weekly pretty much negated any fat loss I'd worked so hard for, so now I will have an occasional off-plan meal or treat, but it's got to be something really worthwhile, since I know there really are no "free" meals, and I have to pay for it in the gym, on the scale, etc. That kind of eating seems to work a lot better if you're a guy, or if you're 20-something, lol.

Lydia, thanks for the link to the BF monitor. I might have to check that out. I've never had mine tested, and it would be nice to have one I could use at home, to track the trends, as you say.

Good luck with Week 2, everyone! Congrats to Dixie and Fran (?) who had the big weight losses this past week! :celebrate:

Ilene 02-03-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomato (Post 2592785)
Hi Ilene,
No, none whatsoever.

Alena

Thanks...

My run is done also, it was cold but it's done, the girl I run with didn't feel like running either...My legs felt really heavy must be because of the leg workout last night...

This morning the scale did not budge :( ... but I lost inches all around from .25 to 1 inch... so I'm happy with that... I lost the inch on my chest :rolleyes: woohoo, now I'll go from a small B to an A cup :faint: with a big butt :rofl: , nice.........NOT!! I feel good though, my fingers feel bony, I can always tell that I've lost weight by my hands, my rings get really loose...

I went online for some BF calculators, damn, I have a high BF% on average in the high 20s to low 30s, I know these are not accurate, but chit, in the 30s :dizzy:

elisa822 02-03-2009 06:47 PM

Maybe amazon has changed the way they ship or has restriction only about certain types of items. As soon as I go to Amazon.com, it tries to redirect me to amazon.ca. When I selected the BF analyzer and tried to purchase it, just to see if it would let me, I got this message:

"*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below."

So who knows really but I couldn't purchase this specific item anyway! :(

Since I was just in LA, I should have just had my friend order it and then I could have brought it home with me. Otherwise I can either suck it up and spend the overpriced cost here or (and here's probably the smartest choice), I could just go to my gym and get them to do it anytime...for free!

I'm too embarassed to do it as often as I would like but that might still be the best way. It's just that when I go, they try to sell me personal training sessions!!

And, Ilene, the only reason I'm obsessing to begin with is because they showed me as having 31% BF, which I was very upset about, given my height, weight and the shape that I thought I was in. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work!!

I missed my yoga today due to a meeing at work...stupid work! ;)

Ilene 02-03-2009 07:08 PM

Elisa, I was online this afternoon at some sites and testing my BF and mine was that high too, very discouraging indeed... I'm surprised that yours is like mine because you weigh wayyyy less than I do and you're a WHOLE inch taller... My gym does nothing/nada for free so you have to have a trainer to even get close to one of those things...

It's been a good day all around...:yes:

Lydia227 02-03-2009 08:55 PM

Ilene and Elisa: I feel so bad that the only option to purchase one of these is to pay way more than it is sold through Amazon. I found another site that offers these. It appears to ship to Canada but they contact you about the shipping costs a couple of days later. You may want to check it out if you are still interested.

http://www.comforthouse.com/ombodfatan.html

elisa822 02-03-2009 09:09 PM

Thanks Lydia! Don't feel bad for us poor Canadians! ;) It is funny how close we are and yet how far in some ways. The problems that I've had in the past, ordering from US sites is that, forgetting the shipping costs, once the package reaches Customs, the costs can skyrocket. Unless it is something that I absolutely cannot find here, I generally only shop from Canadian locations. No big deal really, I have to just move on or buy one here.

My gym did say come anytime for the BF test but, like I said, I want to just check the number and move on...and not get the hard sell! I was hoping that maybe if I could see the BF% go down, while the scale doesn't move too much, it might be great insentive.

kittycat40 02-04-2009 10:41 AM

Hello BFLL :)
I am a BFLLurker at this point.

But you all are inspiring me in my quest for muscles. Last night feeling pissy and bloaty I did a very fast sweaty mile on the tread and then lifted my heaviest and squatted with my heaviest and lunged with my heaviest....

THX! I am a BFLL but maybe only for this challenge :)

Keep on truckin' gals/ You be doin reel gooood

jamsk8r 02-04-2009 11:31 AM

Kitty, WTG with the workout! I see you are rackin' up the running miles!

Ladies, I did the BFL rep/set scheme for my upper body workout last night, to honor the challenge. I got a new PR on my flat DB bench press, using 40 pounders for my six rep set! Miraculously, I didn't break anything, and all the parts still work today. I then dropped it to 2x30 and cranked out the 12, then 12 flat bench flyes, which nearly kill't me! :faint: Anyway, great workout!

I do have a question, though. Does anybody else have trouble with their supporting arm on one-arm DB rowing? I mean, the arm that's supporting my weight on the bench...that just kills my wrists, and while I feel like I could lift more with the working arm, my supporting arm just won't take it. I usually have to stop and rest because of that arm hurting so bad. I've tried shifting more weight to my legs there, but can't maintain that when I start getting fatigued. Is there a secret to doing those that I am missing?

hikerchick 02-04-2009 12:18 PM

Wow Cheryl you are strong. The other day I tried to bench press two 25 lb dumbells and my husband tried to talk to me which caused me to drop them (well I put them down but pretty quickly) and broke the coffee cup that I accidently had under me. (Lesson: be more mindful during home workouts).

I have decided to take a mini rest period since I think my body is in a state of shock. I am going to take off until Sunday and then proceed with the fat loss workouts in NROL. I think I was overambitious to jump into Hypertrophy first (after a year off eek). I really did want to gain some strength and I think I did but at this point I want to get into fat loss mode so I am going to do the full body workouts coupled with sprints and or plyometric circuits.

Congrats to everyone who is working so hard! Great job.

midwife 02-04-2009 12:55 PM

jam, first congrats on the flyes! Impressive! Second, do you put your hand flat on the bench with the rows so that your wrist is bent? Could you make a fist and put your weight on your knuckles? When I do planks with my hands flat it kills my wrists but when I go on fists it is better. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will be along soon.
Kitty when you say heaviest are you referring to a weight or a child? :)

Lydia227 02-04-2009 01:15 PM

Cheryl,

When you are doing your rows, do you press your hand open flat against the bench, or are you making a fist with your hand and pressing your fist flat on the bench?

Also make certain that you do not have any slack from the shoulder down to your wrist. Nice straight line so the weight is evenly distributed.

Also, think about shifting the weight onto the heel of your hand and not rock forward toward your fingertips. Go ahead, practice this on the kitchen chair as you read this. There is a difference. :lol: I just tested it myself.

I also noticed that I am most comfortable when my elbow is face outward and not toward me. It's a slight shift of movement in the wrist and makes a little difference. ~sigh~ I hope this makes sense. :crazy:

So, elbow faces outward but still in a straight line from the shoulder to the wrist and the weight that does travel down to the wrist is focused more upon the palm of your hand.

Keeping the weight more in the leg is a good idea. I really don't have trouble with the wrist but the elbow...Sometimes I have to stop shake it out, reposition and then go again.

If you are at the Y you may want to do the low cable row or use and iso lat row machine if they have one. It may give your wrist a little rest if it is truly troublesome that day.

Hiker: Dumb bells are very dangerous around coffee cups. :coffee:
Enjoy the minirest. After a year off it does take a little time to readjust but it's all part of the experience.

Okay. The scale is finally moving back down again after last weekends intimate affair with carb overload. I remember playing this game before. Please do not allow me to overdue it this weekend again. I pledge to be on my guard for deviant carb behavior. :lol: