Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Checking in from the land of lift and strep. Minus the lift. Just the life of mom to 2 young ones. Looking forward to middle school in 3 years ONLY because it might mean less germs coming home. ugh
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #17  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm just checking in too. It's just been a busy time all around...as I guess it has with everyone because it's been so quiet around here.

I've been doing tons of baking, which I love to do, but have eaten a few more cookies than I would like. I know that it's my own fault but it's something I do once a year and I'm not willing to give it up. I'm just trying to focus on my goal...no gain for the month of December.

Workouts have been good this week. I've had to force myself to go to the gym every day but once I'm there I've been feeling really good and had some great workouts. Yoga is still a challenge but I really like it. I think it's a good regular addition to the week.

Fran - hope your germs leave your home quickly so you can get back to the land of the lifting!

I hope everyone's having a good week.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #18  
Mel

I'm here
Eating and workouts are in "back to basics" mode. I need to keep it super clean during the week, because the last couple of weekends have gotten off track. I wish I could say I was out partying, but I was just plain off track.

Nelie- you're right! Those are called windmills. I'm amazed you could visualize it from my ragged description And I also have usually seen women wearing wrist guards when doing kettle bell snatches. I tried them again at the gym last night with an embarrassingly light bell and "punched through". Better, but still painful. I'm not sure I want my body hardened with calcified bruises!

Elisa- got snow? Are you still running? I've mostly given up baking, except some gluten-free desserts for my son. No cookie temptation here.

Fran- hope the germs leave soon! I sure don't miss those days. Of course, at this point my ds seems to be sick about a quarter of the time, but at 17 he's old enough that I can leave (as long as I've done a lot of cooking...).

Kim- Yikes! I'd forgotten that you use a university gym! Lots of great bodyweight exercises to keep you in shape, tho. there is a site somewhere (I'll go look in a bit) of firemen's workouts. A lot of the exercises are partner lifts, but there is also plenty you can do on your own. How big is your son? if they think it's a game, kids can be great pieces of exercise equipment

Hmmmm...can't find it and I don't remember what I was researching when I found it

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #19  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Mel - yes, we have a bit of snow here. Nothing too bad really. Such a change from last December which was so warm (relatively speaking ) How about where you are?

And yes, I'm still running, but only on the treadmill and only once a week. I was scared last spring to try to run outside and now I don't know how I did it on the treadmill. So mind numbingly boring. I try all kinds of tricks to stay motivated. I hope the once a week will allow me to pick up (almost) where I left off, come spring time. I think the spinning helps keep the cardio up too. I wanted to run outside but I really really hate the cold. I see people out there doing it but it's just not for me. I hate the cold so much I just bought the most amazing parka...designed for people who work in the Arctic!!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #20  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I found out today that our local recreational department has a kettlebell basics workshop in january. I'm going to sign up for it. I need to learn. I'm getting better but whew I do need wrist guards. I was going to buy some today but didn't get a chance to go to work due to the roads this morning.

Fran,
Want to come? its in Rockville
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #21  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, oh, a secret kettleball meet-up in Rockville. I love it. I've actually been to Rockville. I have a friend who used to live there. She's moved to Columbia now though.... I have all sorts of cousins and assorted family in the Silver Spring area too, but I haven't seen them in years.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 AM   #22  
Mel

Nelie- I hope you aren't disappointed! I went to a kettle bell class several times to learn the basics and we marched around doing one arm presses, squats, curls- nothing that couldn't have been done with the same form with a dumbbell. And this was taught by a guy who makes a living doing NOTHING BUT kettle bell training. I'd inquire about what is being covered if it's a class that you have to pay for.

If you find a real kettlebell expert, it might be worth doing a private session.

Cardio done- I'm sore from deadlifts and barbell clean and presses
Supposed to be doing back today, hahaha!

My first workout will be scraping the ice off my car. Schools are delayed 2 hours, but my job isn't

Mel
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #23  
Just Me

Pat,

You are invited too!

Mel,

I know that is a possibility. I have the instructors email so I plan on emailing him to find out what will be covered in the class. There are a few options in this area but very few.

Body is sore today, wrists are red... uhh yeah
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #24  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Morning all!

It was -9 this morning when I rolled out for power class. We got snow twice this week already, more coming tonight and more yet on Saturday. Running is now happening on a treadmill and I'm already hating it. So boring! Think I'll have to branch out and get some more swimming and indoor cycling in if I want to do indoor cardio and retain my sanity. I actually don't mind running outside if it's at least in the mid 20s and the sidewalks are clear, but that's not going to be the case much of the winter. Booo! OK, I'm done whining now.

nelie - The kettle bell sounds fun! I read over some of the kettle bell stuff on Krista's site a while ago, might look in to that next time I need something new and exciting.

Fran - Ugh, kids and germs. No fun, hope everyone is feeling better soon.

I've stopped weighing myself daily and just checking in when I feel like it. Guess what, the scale does exactly the same thing when I'm not watching, it stays the same *sigh* I guess I'll be happy to not gain through the holidays, then ramp it up after the new year. At least I'm getting lots of extra exercise with the shoveling.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

We got 5" here yesterday and late school today too. I love the forecasting - it wasn't supposed to start until after 3 pm as of Tues nite and I was awakened by dd Weds morning (I was sick, remember) telling me it had already started. So had to deal with going to dr yesterday in that plus the fear that they would release school early and I'd have to call a neighbor to pickup the kids at the bus (dh is out of town too). Luckily they didn't, which was good.

Ya know, I watched those video links you all provided for those kettlebells and just did not find it appealing. Deathwish, was the first thought that came to mind actually. I could just see myself ripping out my shoulder socket or getting a rotator injury. Everything about it looked bad, weight extended off of a base that could really give it some momentum away from the controlling handle......... Okay, yeah, I'm scared of 'em.

But I will take you up on the next piece of fun you find nelie. Maybe I will get to one of these parks you go to in my area next spring and finally do some hiking.

Pat - I live in Columbia

Last edited by sportmom; 12-06-2007 at 12:50 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #26  
Working My Way Back Down

Thanks for the invite, Nelie. Little far for an afternoon though. Fran, I've been to Columbia too, but frankly all I saw was my friend's house/neighborhood and a mall. I was only there for a weekend, and we spent one full day of it in Baltimore!

I've been slacking on my weights, and needless to say, did not start my own personal challenge this week. I've been doing plenty of cardio though. Our Grand Canyon trip got pushed back to the second week of April so I have some more time to get aerobically fit enough for a week of hiking at altitude.

Shan - I agree about the I've been using the elliptical exclusively. Easier on my knees, and moderately less boring, plus you can speed up/slow down without punching buttons... I do find I need to have some really upbeat music to keep up the speed though. Though last night I ended up on one next to a guy I used to work with - not only is he much taller than me, but also in tons better shape. Man he was a blur in my peripheral vision! I always feel like I'm working harder when I'm next to one of the spandax wearing/magazine reading gym bunnies.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:49 PM   #27  
Just Me

Fran,

How about rock climbing on the potomac? Have you ever seen people do that? Its crazy... I do have a death wish though. I love my kettle bells and I'm thinking that I already need a bigger size for some moves although it helps to practice form with the smaller ones.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #28  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Speaking of kettlebells, some of the morning regulars and I played a fun game this morning called Virtual Remodel the Gym. It all started when I began singing the classic Christmas song, "all I want for Christmas is some kettle-bells, some Kettle-bells..." One of my morning buds pointed out that we'd need to make space in the gym, which led to a lengthy discussion (between sets, of course), of which pieces of equipment were least essential. I think the upshot was that anything with a hinge or pulley could go, except the adjustable benches.

Somehow, I don't think the gym manager is going to go for it.

Not much else going on. As I posted in maintainers, it's been a tough few days at work, but I'm hopefully optimistic that the worst is behind me. The good news is that I didn't let it disrupt my workout routine. Eating was a bit more stress-affected, but it certainly could have been a lot worse, and the scale hasn't moved so my body must have coped with the cookies OK.

Stay warm, everyone! It's frigid up here in Middle of Nowhere, NY!

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #29  
Mel

Get rid of pulleys???? I love cables! but I sure don't use them in orthodox ways The gym where I train was designed by the trainers (and owned by one of them). The most popular "equipment" is the 20X20 rubber mat in the center with nothing on it. The sandbags and weight sled are a close second, followed by the dual cable tower. When we opened, my boss spent a small fortune on machines. Every once in a while, we use one so that he isn't totally bummed out. Actually, he is the biggest fan of functional training for everyone, but he and two others are competitive body builders. They use some of the machines.

Quote:
How about rock climbing on the Potomac? Have you ever seen people do that?
uh...yeah...done that. Also kyaked along the same stretch...a long time ago when I thought I was immortal.

I did do a pretty good back workout today- I was surprise because by noon I was feeling like Fran's germs had moved north. I'm definitely sick now

Scraping ice this morning was NOT fun. I've had enough winter. Fran, you got more snow than we did!

Mel
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #30  
Just Me

I don't think I ever thought I was immortal, I'm such a wimp

Hope you are feeling better Mel.

I went to Sports Authority today to find something to protect my wrists. The only thing I could find were things for tennis players but hey I think it'll give me a little cushion at least.