Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default If you had to pick one book....

Hey all!

I am primarily a runner with weights on the side..fair bit of history with weights (I used to be a weights gal with cardio on the side...go figure) but a bit rusty.

When my marathon is over in 3 weeks I plan on a few months of serious cross training for good base building, including quite a bit more weights with the goal of adding some muscle mass and all the beautiful things that go with it. (I have killer legs now, but my arms wave bye bye for tooooo long)

So...if you had to recommend just one book for a not-so-new-but- a-bit-rusty gal for lifting, what would it be?

I think I am looking less for theory and more for a "do these exercises:" type book. Program design help. I could hire one of the overweight-lazy-never-once-seen-them work-out personal trainers from my gym to design a program but considering their state of fitness I wouldn't trust them farther than I could throw them. They strike me as the "little lady here is a 5 lb dumbbell and let me show you the machines" types.

Excuse me...I am a bit high on lack of sleep today!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Ennay, when I first started out, I found the "Body Sculpting Bible" helpful. It has lots of different exercises with detailed descriptions of how to do them. It also has a bunch of different programs (I think). At the moment I'm really liking the "New Rules of Lifting". It has less description of exercises (though you can look those up online for more detail) but more comprehensive programs, I think.

Last edited by baffled111; 09-19-2007 at 05:56 PM.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

I went along with just Weight Training for Dummies for a couple of years. I also like Body Sculpting Bible and these are the two I own. But you need to remember I work in a library, and in fact, I buy all the books, so I have access to all I could want. Have you checked Krista's site? stumptuous.com

The one and only trainer at my gym (and it's not his full-time job) does a decent job with men, but women, he's about as you describe. His wife, however, is in great shape. I covet her shoulders and back.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

For more reviews of books, some of which may be "oldies but goodies" available in your local library, see here.

Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

I did pick one book for myself. It was the New Rules of Lifting by Alwyn Cosgrove and...? I forget the guys name but the bonus is that it is written for guys and you get to look at a muscular dude for all in all of the pictures. Anyhow I like it.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote