Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 AM   #61  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Good Morning .

I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was great, I went to the gym Saturday for a LBWO which went really well. I love having a gym only 15 minutes away, it means I can do one workout on a weekend and not have to get up at 5am to do it! Or worry about getting out of there on time to get to work! Sunday I did my new yoga dvd which was challenging and made me feel like I had a great stretch. Saturday's food was great, Sunday not so great. This morning I did 30 mins split between elliptical and treadmill.

Oh well, it's Monday, hope you all have a good one!
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #62  

Hi LWL,

Trying to get back on track. Foodwise it is still not OK. But I did run outside for 20 mins yesterday, followed by 20 mins yoga workout. And today I did 15 mins elliptical, 15 mins rowing machine, 20 mins small FBWO and 10 mins stretching.

I just hate to see the layers of fat around my waist and on my arms.

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 AM   #63  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Morning All .

Rabbit, I hear you about the waist fat. I carry most of my excess fat on my stomach and abdomen, I reckon if a magic fairy took all that fat away (hmm must get onto devising and marketing that fairy btw), I'd be down about 20 lbs. I hate it, it stops me getting clothes that fit right and makes me look preggers.

UBWO today and it was the first week with increased weights which worked good, I failed on a couple of exercises before I had completed all my reps (my db curls on the middle set where I lift the heaviest I only got 3 out of 8 reps done teehee ). Hubbie reckons that if I fail before completing all my reps, I should go down to the next lower weight to finish the reps for that set, does that sound right? It makes sense to me. What do you all think I should do?
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #64  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I was also going to suggest the ball hip extensions with leg curl for the hammies and glutes. I found a video: Hip Extensions Doesn’t show the entire movement but it gives you an idea of the starting position. I push my hips up to starting position with heels on the ball, legs straight with core muscles tight (like you’re doing a plank) and then roll my heels in and out for 10 or 12 reps. It’s harder than it looks!

I had a weekend of way too much food indulgence and not enough exercise. Got the food back on track yesterday and went for a run this morning, feeling loads better now. As much as I hate getting up at 5am you really can’t beat the cool and quiet you only find in those early morning hours, just perfect for running. Had a little confrontation with a coyote this morning though, posted about it in the cool runners thread. Neither my dog nor me got eaten, but I won’t make the mistake of taking my dog back there. Too bad, it is really such a beautiful place to run.

Plan on some pilates and maybe some UBWO with stretchy bands tonight. Tomorrow we’re headed to Milwaukee for a Brewers/Mets game so probably no exercise there. Hopefully it will be cool enough Thurs evening to run.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:59 PM   #65  
Working My Way Back Down

Thanks for the video Shan. My physical therapist has me doing a jillion hip strengthing exercises to keep my knees rotated correctly (who knew?) and this is harder variation on one I do. I must go buy a ball - I think I'm the only person in the country without one.

Having another rainy day here, which is good as it's been very dry and my lawn was turning brown. My neighbors who are putting in a new lawn are thrilled - much less hose watering. Now as long as it clears by the weekend.

My life is finally settling back in some sort of routine. Eating has been good for the last few days, and some cravings are gone - whew. I'm working on getting the exercise more regular - might actually make some progress that way!

We had a new range and dishwasher delivered last Friday. The oven and broiler on the range don't work - grrrr - and after a frustrating call to a customer service call center (Me: the burners work fine, but the gas doesn't flow into the oven CS: Is the shut-off valve in the on position?) I find that the soonest appt I can get is next Monday. So annoying.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #66  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Harder than it looks indeed. Thanks all for the hammie/glute suggestions. I have a ball and dumbells BTW. I think I can lift more than the weight I have for deadlifts. Maybe I should get something heavier? And I don't think you can do good mornings with dumbells.

Still that ball thing was hard. Good, I needed hard. Did a bunch of step ups too and a round of baby squats (upon the insistance of baby).

I am feeling more balanced already.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #67  
Mel

Try doing your deadlifts on one leg at a time. It makes the exercise a lot more challenging. Or any exercise, for that matter!

All is well here. Just in an everyday routine of morning cardio (the resistance has died on my elliptical but I sure go fast ), eating clean, and gym at lunch time. My workouts aren't as long, but they are more frequent and I really need that time away from the computer, phone and clients!

See you next month

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote