Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #1  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Default Time of Day for workout

So, I did all my work outs yesterday before 1 pm. Walked 3 miles, lifted weights for 45 hours. I noticed, from about 3 pm on, I was so hungry! I planned my afternoon snack, then when it was time to take daughter to her eye appt, I completely forgot about it. It was almost dinner time by the time we got home, so I skipped the snack in favor of making and eating dinner. Throughout the evening, I was still hungry. I've read or heard that protein after working out in some form is advised, but I've never been clear on how that works. Could someone explain it to me, or refer me somewhere? Normally I work out in the evening after 8 pm and the high carries me over through my shower and into my realxation time, and I follow that up with some minor yoga, which relaxes me enough to send me to sleep. Is there a big difference in work out times? Do those who work out during the morning, early afternoon find that they are more hungry? Is there some science behind it that can help me understand it?
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

It's not me, but just wanted to say hold on for our pros to come around, they have excellent ways to explain what you are experiencing, and I think it all comes down to metabolism -- how exciting!!!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #3  

Am I reading right that you didn't eat at all after your workout from 1PM to dinner time? I'd be knawing my arm off ...

I am not THE resident expert in LWL but I do know that a portion of protein and carb after a workout is very important to feed and nourrish the muscles you've just worked out out.

Working out does make your metabolism speed up and you can be very hungry after a workout, I know I am. Sometimes when I come home right after my workout I'll have a protein shake and a fruit an apple or orange, within an hour and a half I am starving again, then I'll have my lunch, lean protein - chicken, tuna, eggwhites - and some veggies and and maybe another carb like beans ...

I rarely workout at night because it keeps me awake till all hours. The times that I have, I am not hungry after my workout. I always thought that maybe it was because my body had been nourished throughout the day with my 5 meals of proteins and carbs so I'm really not hungry ...

Hope this helps, the REAL experts will be along shortly
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

No, lol, sorry, I had lunch after I showered when I was done. Half c black beans, h cup red, couple ounces of shredded chicken breast and salsa with an apple.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

All I know is that my trainer has drummed into me to eat a protein, carb and good fat within 1/2 hour of working out. She gave me an article from a journal that, in essence, stated that the most important meal of the day is your post-workout meal. She eats all the time and, at 65, is in better shape than most 20-somethings.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote