Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #91  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey everyone - busy day at work, so just a fly-by post today.

Got this morning's workout in despite getting up late this am. But, since I'll miss tomorrow for an early morning call, I figured I'd better get myself in there today!

Sorry to hear about those who are under the weather - try to get better soon!

Have a good one!
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #92  
Working My Way Back Down

Another sickkie here. At least I'm back in my own house now. I'm past the really awful part (I think) but I still have a nasty sounding cough and some lingering aches and congestion. I had planned to have today off, so I didn't have to make that decision of should I/shouldn't I go in to work.

Hope you're feeling better too Rabbit. I've not had much appetite either, and since I was at a conference, I had no comfort foods to turn too either. I'm down about 4 lbs, maybe more after I get over flying.

Silver - I sure envy you spring! It's been very cold here, below zero F overnight still. Lots more sunshine though, so the days are pretty, if cold.

On that note, it's time for another cup of tea and a lie-down on the couch.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #93  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hi LWL:

Wow, it looks like the month of February was really hard on us. If we aren't sick with some virus or recovering from one, we dealing with an injury of some kind. Anyone else looking forward to SPRING?!

Had a nice 90 minute workout this morning. 35 minutes on the elliptical, 40 minutes of weight training, 15 minutes of core and stretching. I love Monday workouts but today was insanely busy at the gym. One of the staff members pointed out it was the first day of a new session. (Kids classes) Okay, but those don't start until an hour after I get there. The place was packed at 8:30. Could be everyone had a bad weekend or are they getting ready for the "Arnold" next weekend

FRAN: I'm relieved to know that your ankle is getting better and thanks for the book suggestion. I'm going to look it up at our library.

HICKERCHICK: Welcome aboard! Funny story about your daughter. See, that is the very reason I decided to join a gym when my DS2 was 18 months old. If I wasn't tripping over him, he was crawling all over me thinking it was play time. I felt so guilty about taking him there everyday during that first year, okay the second year too. This is our third year and he seems quite at home there. We walk in and most of the morning staff members greet him by his first name. One of them remarked that it's like "CHEERS" when my DS walks in. (his name is SAM) I said yeah, okay, just don't call me Lillith!

NELIE: Glad to know your feeling better too.

PAT: Good to know you are home. Now you can really rest and get over that cold. Congrats on the four pound loss. Although, getting cold to do it isn't much fun. Take care of yourself.

Okay. I'm bushed. I'm going to sit and read for a few minutes before dinner. Have a great evening everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #94  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Oh Lydia I envy you for having a gym nearby. I am way out in the boonies and its at least a 40 minute drive to the nearest gym. So here I am at home with the little uns.

At least I will have fit kids but it would be nice to have a break.

I do get a small break every other day. I have been doing the couch to 5k running plan and I get out every other morning for a half hour. Not up to 5k yet but I have made great strides.

So after the 30 minute jog I did 30 minutes of yoga did about 30 minutes of lower body. I took it easy and did bodyweight only excercizes today. I had been doing weighted lunges and squats but my knees were complaining. I will see how it goes and up the weights when my knees have recovered.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #95  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone!

Maybe it's a bit of the end of winter blues but there certainly is a lot stuff going around here. For me, I've just had a bad few days. Nothing terrible but I've been absolutely starving for the last few days and while I haven't pigged out, I've eaten a fair bit, compared to what I normally eat anyway.

And last Thursday was the first day I have ever skipped a workout for no really good reason and maybe that threw me off too. I was really busy and I had a blister on my foot but I could have gone to the gym. Friday was a work thing so I missed my favourite class and since then? Blah. I dragged myself to the gym today to do some upper body work and it went okay. If I can manage my normal Tuesday 5k then I'll hopefully feel back to normal.

I did take a peek at the scale and I don't think I was punished too terribly for my last few days but I liked it better when I was looking forward to the gym. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

hikerchick - good for you on working on the C25K. Lots of people around here are big fans. I've checked out their website but I mostly did my own plan to get up to the 5k. It's actually been fun but I have yet to give it the true test...getting off the treadmill and hitting the road. I'm waiting for the snow to melt a bit first!

I hope all the "sickies" get drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:42 AM   #96  

hi LWL,

Still coughing my way around. I'm definitely on the mend though...vacuumed my house on sunday, did grocery shopping and administration yesterday, cleaned bathrooms today...that's me after one week full blown flu. Pat, I hear you on the aches and pain. My back simply cannot tolerate one position for too long, even if it is lying in bed or on the couch. I woke up yesterday from the pain & had to get a hot water bottle for it to get back too sleep.

Get well soon to all the other sickies!

Silver..YES, it's spring here as well! We should consider ourselves lucky...I read in the paper that the US still has snow problems in parts!

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #97  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Morning!

Back from the gymn through the spring rain! It'll make the garden grow.

Keep recuperating, those that need to. Have a good day, everyone.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 AM   #98  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit View Post
hi LWL,Silver..YES, it's spring here as well! We should consider ourselves lucky...I read in the paper that the US still has snow problems in parts!
Rabbit
Yep! And I'll be out there this morning clearing my sidewalk of the last of if.

No gym workout today. Its a library browsing, closet cleaning, bathroom disinfecting, and sidewalk shoveling kind of day. I have physical therapy tonight so I'll get a little cardio and core work in before bedtime.

Make it a great day everyone
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all, welcome hiker, get well rabbit and etc. not a lot of time to read / post / think / breathe as boss is back from a week vacation! stay focused e'reone!!!

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #100  

Hello all,

I am in the calm before the storm. got a big stow storm coming. We only get one or two a year so it is part exciting and part annoying since our road doesn't get cleared and sometimes we get snowed in.

Last year we did the snow in a pot on the wood stove to wash dishes manuver when the power went out and the snow came at the same time. First year out in the country caught us unprepared!

Elisa, I am really doing my own version of c25k too. But I still call it c25K since I definitely started on the couch and I plan to get to 5k and beyond.

Resting helped enomously. Now I just have to make sure I don't rest too much.

Hope all the sick become well

and Tiki, don't let your boss work you too hard!
Old 02-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #101  
Out there trying

Okay - feeling a bit more normal today and I completed my 5k run without too much trouble. I'm clocking in at about 36 minutes, which I don't think is too bad but who cares really - I finished!

Hikerchick - did you say how long you've been working on your C25K? Are you running inside or out? As I said in the cool runnings thread, I haven't yet made it outside due to weather and I'm so scared of making the switch. I'm waiting for all the snow to disappear before I try since I'm scared of slipping.

Had some cottage cheese for lunch but at 2:00 I have a department meeting that includes a "goodbye cake" for someone. Can't say no, since I ALWAYS say no but I'll try to just have a sliver. The problem is I love my chocolate! Oh well. I have a nice healthy bean soup for dinner so it should all work out.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #102  

I think I have been doing it almost 4 weeks. The past week I jumped ahead to 2 8 minute runs. Actually last time I did an 8 minute and a 10 minute. I am thinking of going for 2 one mile runs with a rest in between next time. Wish me luck.

I have no gym so I am limited to outside running which I think I prefer. Still I think it is wise to wait until the snow melts. So far it has been my experience that running outside in the cold in the rain and even in the cold rain is a joy. However I dislike icy roads. It totally makes me nervous and messes with my mind. On those days I wish I had a tredmill.

I just got back from a 2 mile hike with my daughter in a backpack. I haven't done that in awhile and boy has she gotten big. Sure added to the workout value of the hike. I think I will do that more often especially now while the weather is cold. In the heat I am all about strollers.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Elisa - have you thought about getting grips for your shoes? You can pick them up at any running store. I love mine - even though I've been a weenie and not done much outside running this winter!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Evening everyone! After four days, I'm down to sniffles in the morning and a mild headache. Fit folks do heal faster!
Abs and arms today but reading Mel reminded me of something I haven't tried in a while ... hmmm ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #105  
Out there trying

Susan - yes, I think I might actually own a pair that someone bought for me for those "freezing rain" days that scare me. I'm not sure if they're the same thing that I would use for running or not. Being a new runner, the last thing that is realistically going to happen is that I'm out there running in the snow! I know other people do it and like it but I'm still afraid of even going outside, so I'm not likely to try for the first time in the snow!! I think if I really enjoy it and stick with it through the whole spring/summer/fall, then I would be more inclined to give the winter running a go. Right now, I still refer to the -20C runners as "the crazies" Thanks for the tip though!

I'll have to check out the running room for lots of cool gadgets. Right now I don't even have a way to carry my keys etc. I'm spoiled by the treadmill and if my husband were at home I would be okay but ideally I need something for my Ipod, key, maybe cell phone (?) and some water. That's a lot to carry around!

hikerchick - it sounds like you're doing pretty well for only 4 weeks. My Ipod tracks my runs so it says that I have been running since January 8th. Right now I'm trying to do my 5k twice a week and then a step class for some different cardio. Today I only had to slow down to a slow jog once and to a walk once for about one minute "rests" each. I don't think I'll really increase my distance, just try to work on my time, but we'll see.

And yes, I did have some chocolate cake at work but I only ate half the peace and threw the rest away...and this was very difficult for me!!