Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 09:15 PM   #1  

Default To Weigh or not to Weigh, that is the question

I was weighed at my post op visit 16 days after surgery, my next appointment is 3/17/04. I don't have scales. I was determined that I was not going to weigh my self, so that I didn't get all crazy about the ups and down, and wouldn't get on the scales every couple of hours, since I am still home from work, (also DIDN'T have the money to buy scales that would weigh over 350)

Yesterday I took my son in to get some stitches out and literally begged the nurse in the ER to use their scale. I couldn't do it, I couldn't go just by how I felt or that the clothes were getting looser, I had to have validation. I am now one month out and I was worried if I was going to be a slow loser or what. I have decided that scales may be the devil's work--I may be as hooked to scales as some people are cocaine or meth. Now that is strange as I have gone for the last several years ducking scales, but now that I am losing I have such a hankering to check the weight, and I AM NOW UNDER 350. i HAVE LOST 28 LBS IN A MONTH,

SO, the question is, what is all of your attitudes about weighing? do you do it at home, do you do it secretly, do you do it with MIss Scarlett in the library with a scale (oops wrong simile)

By the way did you notice that I just slipped in the fact that I HAVE LOST 28 OBS IN ONE MONTH--
Old 02-17-2004, 09:44 PM   #2  

Hey Buffy...You funny bunny...Congrats on the 28 pounds...that is fabulous!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy, the slayer
)
I have decided that scales may be the devil's work--I may be as hooked to scales as some people are cocaine or meth. --
or chocolate?

Buffy, I weigh myself every day. Once as soon as I get up and again after I get out of the shower. The scales doesn't lie. The clothes? Well, I am nuts and think that hey, maybe I dried them to death, washed them in hot water maybe dh needed to run out and get the paper and my pants were more convenient than his ...you get the idea. Anyway since I love comfortable and lose clothes I don't think that mine are that reliable in judging. PLUS, for me in the plus sizes it is/was a good twenty pounds or more per size and I need more imediate gratification.

Interesting though...I think that shoes are a neat judge. Mine fell off today!!!!

Buffy, try to find a happy medium that works for you that won't make you nuts.

peach
Old 02-17-2004, 11:15 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

after the first month or so, when the time between surgeon visits went into MONTHS rather than days or weeks... i wandered all over northern new jersey looking for scales!!! well, after i got below 350, which took, oh, about 2 months. peachie was actually enjoying hearing where i ended up!!!

congrats on the 28 pounds.. it's hard to believe isn't it??? but it's REAL!!!!!

AND PEACHIE... not only do you need new bras, but it appears that you need new shoes!!!! GET SHOPPING, GIRL!!!! take mom.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:45 PM   #4  

Buffy,
I too tried to steer clear of scales before surgery. Soon after surgery I ran out and got one. A small digital scale from wally-world. I agree that it can be addicting! I weigh myself maybe 4 times a day some times! I guess I just amazed with the weight loss. But they can decieve, With the little ups and downs. You will come to realize the ups are still better than what our weight was before surgery
Old 02-18-2004, 06:05 AM   #5  
Meg

Woo hoo, Buffy! You’re on your way!

Hey Peachie! Welcome to Scale Addicts Anonymous! I weigh myself every day too and have tried to break the habit but can’t … so I figure I'm doing OK if I can keep it to just once a day.

Seriously, though, I have to weigh myself every day in order to keep myself in line because I didn’t weigh myself for so many years (and refused to believe what the scale said when I did — I mean, how crazy is that? but I’d get off and say “that can’t be right; I can’t weigh that much; it must be broken" and go eat something to get over it). Now if I eat things that I shouldn't, they always show up on the scale the next day — there’s no “free lunch” for this chickie! So weighing myself every day keeps me in line cuz I hate hate hate seeing that number go up.

If I relied on how clothes fit, I could do too much damage before it would show up. And I hear you on the plus size clothes — I had to lose 35# before I dropped even one size (which shows how much I was squeezing myself into my 22s at that point ). All of my shoes ended up too big too! But I’ll still clomp around in some of the fancy ones that never got much use and are too nice to get rid of now — DH is used to taking me out to dinner and having my shoes fall off. The only clothes that I own now that are more than two years old are socks and the one pair of size 22 pants in my avatar photo (with matching pink tent T-shirt) that I’ll never get rid of.

New bras? That’s a whole ‘nother (depressing) story ...
Old 02-18-2004, 10:43 AM   #6  
For my HEALTH...

Congrats Buffy on the 28lb loss!

You are all right about the shoes. In the last couple of weeks I have lost weight and my shoes are already going up and down off my heals when I walk.
I had to go to the drug store and get some of those heal inserts to keep them on my feet properly.

It's funny how just a few pounds make a difference. When I got out of bed this morning I suddenly realized it was a bit easier moving around.

Scale: I have mixed feelings about the scale. It is true it helps to keep you in check, but there have been too many times that I fell off diets because the scale showed no movement for a while. Maybe if I held out a bit longer before weighing I could have gotten over the hump.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:11 PM   #7  
VOW
Vegan for Health!

*delirious dancie for joy over 28 lb loss*

Who CARES about "scale philosophy"? YOU LOST 28 POUNDS!!

YOU GO, GIRL!

~VOW
Old 02-18-2004, 06:57 PM   #8  

Thanks for the encouragement, I know what you mean about the clothes being looser, I must have looked like a stuff sausage in some of my clothes, as they are just now getting a little looser. I am going to try to wait until my next doctor's appointment to weigh, we'll see if it works or if I am going to have to do serious damage to my son, so we can go back out to the ER.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:16 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy, the slayer
. I am going to try to wait until my next doctor's appointment to weigh, we'll see if it works or if I am going to have to do serious damage to my son, so we can go back out to the ER.
Works for me, Buffy!!!!

Must admit, I am with Meg on this one. When I don't weigh myself on a regular basis, my weight gets way (weigh ) out of hand!

Jiff.....I found a bunch of gently used underwire bras from my smaller days in one of my drawers. the cup size fits fine but I needed an inch or two in the back. I bought bra extenders at the fabric store and they worked out fine.

I hate underwire. At what age can I give it up. I hate buying bras. The cups could fit my head. (cause I am so smart?) I could wear them as a helmet. I slay me.

peach
Closed Thread