Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 08:21 AM   #1  

Arrow WLS chat week of September 3rd

Starting up!

Bella, good to see you!

Debkay...where are you?

Last day of summer vacation!!!!! Yipppeeeeee!

peach
Old 09-02-2003, 09:17 AM   #2  

Well, Its tuesday morning already, and here I am sipping away---------that was a sip. Still on clear liquids when the Dr gets in I am suppossed to have an appointment but he doesn't see patients today so it may have to wait till tomorrow. Having trouble with my pills. Others have told me that nothing larger than an m&m but they were crushing them in the hospital. I tried that yesterday and I couldn't get them down. So I will wait on the Dr. My blood sugar was 98 this morning and I take the blood pressure at night.sip-------- hope all have a good week. Love Marsha
Old 09-03-2003, 08:46 AM   #3  
she who must be obeyed

Hi all!!

Marsha the is for your surgery. Sounds like you are doing well, so glad to hear that.

Here I am peachie.......been gone for a few days. We went to Florida to celebrate my Mom and Dad's 45th anniversary, Everyone was there except my older two. As soon as hubby gets the pics loaded I will post a link.

I'm really behind in the posts, hope to catch up today. I'm stranded at home without my van. Daughter is driving Dad's car to school, she has a flute lesson right after school. Hubby is driving my van.......so today is catch-up on house cleaning for me.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:23 PM   #4  

Hi all,

Well I went to the doctors yesterday and they gave me a refferel to a gastroentrologist (sp?)( or what ever he is called, lol) and they will be calling the three in the area and getting me an appointment with the one that can take me the soonest. My doc loves all three of them. So I should be hearning from them soon!

They said that it will be around 6 months to see the doc and then I'll have to have several tests at my local doc about 2 months prior to the operation. But they said that if all goes well I'll be under the knife by next spring/summer.

I just told or wrote it in a letter to my hubby, who does NOT want me to do this, and told him that I didn't want him to get a vasectomy (sp?) but supported him so he should support me weather he likes it or not, lol. And that I have enough to worry about and don't need him on my case about this, lol.

So we'll see. I went down a couple lbs this week, but it's not out of the ordinary at this point, my weight stays the same give or take 10lbs.

Well that is all for now, I'm at school currently and may or may not get on my puter later tonight (depends on if I can get it working.)

Talk to you all later,

Oh, before I noticed this thread, I posted on last weeks one, lol OOPS, sorry, so I just copied and pasted.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #5  

Hey gang,
I haven't written for a couple weeks... but that's not because nothing has been happening!! Let me think... where do I start... lol
I knew back a year ago I had arthritis in my left knee, but both knees were bothering me to sit and stand...steps.. etc. Ended up witha series of shots in both knees (which hurt like heck to get.. and did not seems to help) That is when i went into warm water therapy. Right knee xray at that time showed no arthritis.
Now as of about a month and ahalf... sorta started after i was in the hospital for the blood clots.. and having the greenfield filter put in, I have been having bad pains in my right knee. AT firest I thought it was because of the blood clots, but after having another dopler done on my right leg, and then another set of xrays... It now show that I do have arthritis and also a bone spur in my right knee.
As much as I hated the shots last time I got them, the pain of taking just a step is getting to much to bear, so I agreed to a shot yesterday of?? and then I will start a series of 5 shots/ once a week in both knees. At first I was only going to have it done in my right knee, but this morning I called them and asked them to change it to both knees.
These shots will take me close to the end of Oct. and I can reschedule to have surgery FINALLY in NOV. I figure I have to be able to walk for that.
I have felt some relief from the shots, and am hoping to get back into warm water therapy friday if not monday. I was to the point I couldn't walk into the theraphy place. I do have a wheelchair but i can do it myself, and my husband works 2nd shift.
ohh AND... found out that I have to have a stress test done, and that is scheduled for next week... I am doing the drug indused one, and it's a two day thing... not all day though. THEN.... then..... i should be ready.
Talk about 2 steps forward .. one step back. But i know it's all happening for a reason.
My husband's surgery has also been approved, and actually could have had it done before me. After talking about it, and how I can not get around, we decided to stick with our original plan that he would wait until I got mine done and was up and around.
SO that's my life.... your welcome to it... lol
A year from now, I will look back and think this is all funny.... but this past few months have been anything but. Although I try and laugh about it, cuz if I didn't... i'd spend my day in tears.
It sure bites ........ only being 42 and feeling like i'm 99~!

Hope everyone is doing well... Welcome to all the newbies here, and continued good luck to the recent "rebirths" My day is coming ..... soon !!
hugs
Cindy
Old 09-04-2003, 09:12 AM   #6  
Hang In There

Well, Branson MO is right up there with the Grand Canyon on my list! Things I'v always wanted to see, and now that I've seen it, I have no desire to go back. The trip was great though. Things have not been really smooth for ole Alvin and his sister, (ever really)and it was good to be with them doing something we all enjoy. I won't go so far as to say we stopped and EVERY antique store between here and there, but it was close! Between the four of us we managed to pack the Excursion pretty full! Now that I'm back, I plan to get serious about getting this weight off again. I've called to make an appointment with a personal trainer. Maybe that will get me started in the right direction.

Before we left we had lunch with a couple who we lived by about 12 years ago. They could not believe ole Alvin was the same person, and they never even saw him at his largest!!!

Also the day before we left my mom went in for a colon scope, she'd been having problems since before dad died, but keep putting off going to the doctor, cause she was so tied up taking him to doctors. The removed what the said was a large polyp that they tink might be cancerous. The report was supposed to be in this week. Last night I asked her if she had heard from the doctor, andshe said she hadn't, but that she had heard from her mammogram and they wanted her to come back because they saw somethig "suspicious" in the first one. Keep her in your prayers.

It's hard getting back into the grove after even a couple of days off work, but I guess I need to. Hope everyone has a great rest of the week , and an even greater weekend.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:22 AM   #7  

Barb,
Your first two sentences just cracked me up! Thanks for the giggle.

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. My MIL has just started chemo for liver cancer and they saw some other suspicious spots too, so I know how hard it is. I will keep her in my prayers!

Chickadee
Old 09-04-2003, 04:47 PM   #8  

Red face is this a dream?

Hello everyone! just letting you all know if this is a DREAM don't wake me up! I still can't believe I really had the Surgery! As you may remember I had my Lap-Band Monday Aug. 25th...I've lost 14lbs. I can not believe this is really hapening..Can you tell I'm just a little overjoyed!!!
Deb, if you remember my DH from another site...he did just fine,had a few tears in his sweet eyes when they brought me in from surgery,and he is taking real good care of me. He is so happy for me
How is that Peach?
You all write soon/Mary Beth
Old 09-04-2003, 08:50 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

mary if this is a dream, DON'T WAKE UP!!!!!! glad things are going so well for you...
Old 09-05-2003, 06:11 AM   #10  

Good morning all!!! Glad to hear everyone is doing so GREAT!! R's Wife - I know how you feel. I also had the lap-band surgery and I feel like I am living a dream everyday. I had my surgery May 31, 2003 and I am down a total of 42 lbs. Never - and I do mean NEVER have I lost that much weight on any diet. I just remember that the lap-band is a tool and not a cure-all. What I put in my mouth is my choice. I am making smarter choices in what goes in my mouth (and how much) now. It feels so good to say - "no thank you, I am full". It is also a great feeling not to be deprived as on many diets I have tried. I "treat" myself to a BITE of cake - not 3 pieces, or one thin slice of pizza - not the whole pie!!

Everyone keep up the good work. You all are such happy people. I am glad I joined. I hope you all have a very nice day!!!

Old 09-05-2003, 10:42 AM   #11  
she who must be obeyed

Good Friday!!

Bella, hope your hubby comes around and gives you his support.

Cindy hope you feel better soon. I can so relate on the being in the 40's but feeling much, much older. I was like that before wls........now I feel 29 again

Barb, your Mom is in my thoughts and prayers.

Chickadee How is your son doing without you? How is Mom doing without him?

Mary Beth glad you are doing so well, and I saw the post your husband posted on the other board about you, what a sweetie he was.

SeptemberBreeze you are so right, our surgery is a tool, not a cure all. I'm so, so happy we have this option, for without it, I would still be way over 300 pounds........with no hope in sight.

just spoke to peachie and she was on her way to Wal-Mart.....without me

ARE YO READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL??? or in my case.......it's BAND SEASON to all the new folks here, fair warning......I'm a Band Mom! My daily chat is littered with band talk......my youngest child is in the high school marching band, this is her last year she is a senior this year Tonight is our first away game, hubby and I chaperone at all the games and we are the chaperones on the "drum-line" bus, which has ALWAYS been known as the trouble bus. Well, I have a solution for that, it worked well last year......bribery I make cookies and pass them out on the way home. We had such a great bus last year, no trouble at all. I'm making chocolate chip cookies right now.

here is a link to a couple of pics (click on the Florida album)
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/dtjonesga
picture 0079 is, me in the purple, my younger brother, my Mom and Dad and my little sis
picture 0080 is me and hubby (poor hubby hates the pics, I brought the wrong pants, which are too small so he had to wear his shirt out, which makes him look chubby )

off to finish my cookies

Last edited by debkay; 09-05-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:02 PM   #12  

Great pics, Deb! I see your mommie in you - what beauties you both are. Thanks for sharing!

Kel
Old 09-05-2003, 02:15 PM   #13  
she who must be obeyed

Thank you Kel, your too kind.

Oh, and pic 76 is my daughter and my Mom, Mom is the one sticking out her tongue
Old 09-05-2003, 04:38 PM   #14  
she who must be obeyed

peachie........I paid $1.43 for gas a few minutes ago, gotta love Georgia for cheap gas prices.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:36 PM   #15  

hmmmm....I think dh paid about $1.67.....I have been driving the little compact car...now that I can get in and out if easier instead of the big honkin van.

sorry I have been mia the past few days...I have had my nose in an extremely haunting book. "The True Story of HANSEL AND GRETEL a novel of war and survival" by Louise Murphy. It is about two Jewish children during WWII and their struggle of survival in the woods of Poland. An amazing book.

Plus the kidlets went to school (hear the applause??) I went to wally world (how fun was that?), got my paws and claws done and a new hair cut to boot.

Those are my excuses and I am sticking to them!

peach
ps....did anyone notice that we are now being moderated????? sheeeesh....the only "f" word I have used lately is FLUFFY!!!!
Closed Thread