Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #16  

I agree with Kira.It is not the path for all, but diet and exercise certainly is the healthiest (and least invasive) way to go about weight loss.As a nurse I have seen some horrible and very sad complications from WLS.Some that did not appear for over 10 years after the procedures.I would not want to roll the dice on this one............
Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Harrismm and Kira: Yes, diet and exercise are a very good way to go for a healthy lifestyle. I'll agree with that wholeheartedly. I too am a registered nurse. I have seen complications after many years of WLS: failed suture lines, adhesions, gangrened stomach, twisted bowels, neurological problems, nutritional,etc. Some of these were preventable some not. I have also seen complications from mobid obesity: diabetes, heart disease, joint problems, amputations, liver problems. You have chosen your path and some of us have chosen another path. I guess what it comes down to is that we are all in control of how we decide to get down the road of health. I've walked in your shoes and pray to God that you never have to walk in mine. Anyone who goes into WLS in this day and age and don't know the facts, the possible risks, and health, must live in LaLa land. People come here for support and knowledge, and I don't know a single person that has had WLS here that has told anyone that it is a bed of roses or you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I do have to agree with the linked article though, that the statistics are not being truthfully monitored and communicated. This shocked me when I began researching wls.

It is true that most patients and doctors say that the risk of wls is lower than that of obesity itself, which the statistics do not support. WLS is risk is more dangerous and more likely to result in severe health issues than obesity itself for many people (perhaps most, since the long-term consequences aren't being well-documented).

I believe that the reason that the risks from the surgeries are glossed over many times, is because of the cultural stereotype that obesity is a fate so much worse than death, that the death risk is not a significant deterrent.

The risks of death and/or debilitation from wls is by far the highest for any elective procedure. Liposuction in it's earliest days took a far-distant second place. The risk of death from wls (where stats are available) is most similar to emergency cardiac surgery (not at all an elective procedure).

Saying that, of course makes it seem that I am anti-wls for everyone, which isn't the case at all. I just believe that the information needs to be made available so that people truly can make the most informed decision possible, and that means knowing the risks. I find it unconscionable that better wls stats aren't available. There has not been consistent long-term follow-up, which I find rather odd. I can find more thorough information on gender-reassignment surgery than wls.

I think it's also a bit odd that there's a huge gap in weight loss therapy. It seems to jump from self-driven experimentation (dieting) to wls. When a person has struggled unsuccessfully with dieting, wls is often the next and sometimes only affordable option. Inpatient and outpatient treatments aren't covered by medical insurance, and it just seems rather strange to me that such therapies aren't covered.

Our hospital has an amazing weight loss clinic, but in the program's history, they've only had one patient who was able to get their medical insurance to cover the program. It would be cheaper for most of their patients to get wls than to enroll in the comprehensive program (you see a doctor and dietitian monthly, participate in weekly group sessions, have regular physical therapy and/or personal training sessions with a personal trainer, and a significantly discounted YMCA membership).

I strongly believe that wls should be an option. I just can't reconcile the fact that less invasive therapies aren't more available and affordable.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #19  
Old Cackler

For those of you who do not believe the surgery is the right course for you, i'm glad that you made the right decision for yourself.

For those of us who have had the surgery, we need to figure out how to live the healthiest life possible. We come together in this forum to support each other in doing it.

You who have chosen a different path are entitled to your opinions, and we welcome your concern, but kindly refrain from telling us that we were [are] uninformed about the risks and that we did not make a well-researched decision.

For some of us, the risks of NOT doing the surgery were far greater than the surgical risks. Please respect us for making a difficult choice.

Kaplods' post raises some excellent points about the lack of insurance coverage for losing weight the old-fashioned way.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #20  
Old Cackler

If those of you who appear to believe that we need YOUR guidance on making this decision continue to post in this vein, I will take moderator action.

Last edited by jiffypop; 07-27-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Closed Thread