Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-22-2008, 05:52 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

I forgot- I started atkins on monday- so that we were eatting the same types of foods together-south beach would be good too.
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #17  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default DHs: Nagging or Suggestions?!?!?

My DH has just started to reduce portions, cut cholestrol, and reduce carbs & sugar. Example of lunch I fixed him: A portion of steamed squash with spray butter, a portion of chicken with eggplant sauce, and a portion of fruit. He had yogurt and a small bran muffin for breakfast. I always send him a protein bar or some carb and protein for his late afternoon lull around 4:00. He ate everything for lunch. Came home starved and when I asked him what happened to his afternoon snack and he told me he ate it for lunch. I was a little perturbed and realized when I tell him stuff it is "nagging". So he will be doing 3 sessions with a dietian with me in the corner. We are going to a heart-healthy class fourth of June. He has lost weight since we revamped, but his late night snacking and he doesn't get the concept about fats and sugars. He was eating baked chips last night at 10:30 and I told him just because it is baked doesn't mean it doesn't have calories, carbs or some fat. "Well, how am I suppose to know these things!" Well, because I've told him quite a few times. I know how it was for me before WLS, and I couldn't control it, so hoping hearing it from someone else will make the difference for him. I'd really like him to be on a diabetic diet, but we'll see!!!! I would like him to be more proactive about what he can eat and what he can't eat. OT: I gave him some incentive last night. He asked me how big my waist was. It used to be 56 to 60 inch waist. Of course, I didn't know and asked him why and wondered if I could wear his jeans yet; 38 waist. So when I got ready for bed, I decided I would try on his jeans. They were too big; and so tried on some of his 36s and I could wear them. I started bawling, because I haven't been his size since 1971 or 72. Then I got a little devil in me and told him not to throw away any of his smaller pants, but just give them to me. We are not in competition about weight, but he did punch me in the arm and threw his "big-boy pants" back in the closet!!! LOL!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #18  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

we talked some more about this... he does not want anything but the lapband.. i told him he has to see what the doctor says.

he said he knows he has to eat better and he knows he has to exercise (right now he really can't for several reasons the least of which is his weight)

he said that he really thinks he can handle eating SBD style after the procedure.... so i guess my next step is to find a doctor for him to talk to.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

I hate when people say they can't exercise. I know he can't go nuts or anything. Can he get on a treadmill? If he can manage 5 minutes to start and add a minute or two each time he could get up to 20 - 30 minutes in short order. That is at least a start.

If he can do SB after the surgery why can't he do it NOW.

I know that starting where he is he will probably benefit from the surgery but why not start today. No excuses he needs to make changes that will be with him for the rest of his life!!!

Everyone must follow their own path. I don't mean to be harsh or anything but these changes start with a small step forward.

Last edited by msroboto; 05-22-2008 at 03:23 PM.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #20  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Nessa,
Bless you for helping him with this. My DH wants a magic pill or quick fix for any and all things, especially weight loss. But lucky for him, he only needed to lose about 30-35 pounds and has lost 20-25 with a loose SBD. I struggle for every ounce I lose.
Lapband can help many people, but I have personally witnessed numerous individuals lose weight initially and then slowly and surely gain it ALL back. Gastric bypass can have the exact same results, but I think the percentages are a bit better for bypass. Does DH have diabetes? The newest information is that gastric bypass (NOT banding) can actually CURE type 2 diabetes. They are beginning to test bypass on thin people with diabetes now...but those results will be years in the making.
Does DH know that they now routinely perform gastric bypass via laproscopic surgery? This has reduced the complications and made the recovery time much less. He might want to keep his mind open to the gastric bypass.
I personally have not had surgery, nor have I considered it. I would have qualified at one point in my journey, but I don't like elective surgery and I especially don't like general anesthesia. I had 3 major abdominal surgeries as a child and awakened during anesthesia. Of course, I may have to keep my mind open to surgery as I'd love to have a boob lift when I arrive at goal weight.
Best wishes for your DH's struggles and choices.
Can he do swimming or water walking for exercise? I know he had some health issues related to the car accident...
Karla
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #21  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msroboto View Post
I hate when people say they can't exercise. I know he can't go nuts or anything. Can he get on a treadmill? If he can manage 5 minutes to start and add a minute or two each time he could get up to 20 - 30 minutes in short order. That is at least a start.
no he can't. he was born with bilateral club foot had his ankle fused at 18 and has twisted leg bone and is scheduled to start lympodema treatments next month so that he can get the fluid in his legs down enough so the doctor can drive a steel rod through the heel of his foot so he can have a permanently fixed brace to MAYBE alleiveate the bone crushing pain he experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msroboto View Post
If he can do SB after the surgery why can't he do it NOW.

I know that starting where he is he will probably benefit from the surgery but why not start today. No excuses he needs to make changes that will be with him for the rest of his life!!!

Everyone must follow their own path. I don't mean to be harsh or anything but these changes start with a small step forward.
He could start right now IF HE WANTED TO. I've been on it for two years. HE CHOOSES not to. he is a grown up and it is HIS choice to eat what he eats. he has good healthy foods available here I cannot and do not and will not control what he does.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #22  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyDogMom View Post
Nessa,
Bless you for helping him with this. My DH wants a magic pill or quick fix for any and all things, especially weight loss. But lucky for him, he only needed to lose about 30-35 pounds and has lost 20-25 with a loose SBD. I struggle for every ounce I lose.
Lapband can help many people, but I have personally witnessed numerous individuals lose weight initially and then slowly and surely gain it ALL back. Gastric bypass can have the exact same results, but I think the percentages are a bit better for bypass. Does DH have diabetes? The newest information is that gastric bypass (NOT banding) can actually CURE type 2 diabetes. They are beginning to test bypass on thin people with diabetes now...but those results will be years in the making.
Does DH know that they now routinely perform gastric bypass via laproscopic surgery? This has reduced the complications and made the recovery time much less. He might want to keep his mind open to the gastric bypass.
I personally have not had surgery, nor have I considered it. I would have qualified at one point in my journey, but I don't like elective surgery and I especially don't like general anesthesia. I had 3 major abdominal surgeries as a child and awakened during anesthesia. Of course, I may have to keep my mind open to surgery as I'd love to have a boob lift when I arrive at goal weight.
Best wishes for your DH's struggles and choices.
Can he do swimming or water walking for exercise? I know he had some health issues related to the car accident...
Karla

well the interesting thing is that we BOTH still qualify easily. although i've lost 70 pounds I'm still looking at a BMI over 40!

I'm looking at Johns Hopkins Weight Loss Program. I read to him the Lap Band Diet they require after surgery and he did not think that sounded so hot to him.

so in the end this may all be a moot point for him...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #23  
Old Cackler

LakeGirl just had her surgery at Hopkins - drop her a PM for more information. there's no need for you folks to come all the way to NYC when there are EXCELLENT programs closer to you. in fact, the closer the better - DH won't be able to use 'distance' as an excuse for not following up with the Doc.

bottom line - it sounds like there are some SERIOUS issues in your household, and i'm wondering just how much of this research he's willing to do. seems like you're doing all the work for him - if he wants this, REALLY wants this, perhaps he should be showing more interest in the process?

as for the exercise thing - he really has to get his leg/foot fixed first. and then i suspect it'll be rehab or physical therapy. and THOSE folks will help him figure out the best exercise program.

as for being ashamed of his grammar, well, the fact is, we don't much care!!! all we ask [and this is with my moderator hat on!!!] is that people be polite and reasonably kind. no cussing, either. we don't grade for spelling.

so, if he's willing to come on and post, we're willing to have him here! honest!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #24  
ONEderland here I come!

Thanks Jiffypop. I"ll let him know. It's hard for us. I"m much older than he is and he tends to defer a lot of things to me... and I tend to be a caretaker more than I should....