Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

Default Guess what!! I joined the gym!!!

If someone would have told me that at 307 pounds I would join a gym I would have told them that they were out of their minds!! I am SO self-aware of what I look like and I imagine that everyone is as critical of me as I am myself.

At my follow up appointment with my Dr. he told me that I could go home and sit on the sofa and I would drop some weight. Then he told me that I could go home...get an exercise plan drop my weight and look better in the long run. Well, I wanted to join the gym I just had to get up the nerve to do so. I have a gym close to my work (Planet Fitness) and I checked the prices...$20 a month with unlimited privledges and I did it!! I joined on line and then last night I went for the first time.

Since I'm in such fabulous shape (LOL ) I was only able to workout on the treadmill BUT...you have to start somewhere right??? I did walk at an incline at 2.5 miles an hour for a half hour. I covered 2 miles...so I think I did well.

I do plan on making this a habit...I was pleased that I didn't get one odd look. Most people are more focued on what they are doing plus you can take your own headphones and watch TV while your working out...I"ll be doing that tonight.

I want to learn more about the equipment because my Dr. told me that he wants me to do cardio and resistance training. They have classes that are limited to 4 people at a time and they go through all of the equipment and teach you how to use it. After I build up some stamina I plan on taking the classes.

Right now I'm stuck at 307 but I know from all of the reading that I've been doing that stalls are normal. So, I'm not sweating it....I don't like it but what can I do. I'm eating all of my protein....75 grams. I have to supplement with my shakes to get it all in but I'm doing it. I even get in all 64oz. of my water...so I know that the scale can't hold out too long.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Chrissy
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Good for you Chrissy! I love the gym and there is a strange but wonderful Gym Culture where I am too that everyone just ignores you until spoken too so you can work out without feeling like you are being stared at! Love that!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #3  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

flourgirl i also think that at the end of the workout, there is a sense of accomplishment and it prevents me from doing anything stupid. i wish i had a place close to my house that cost twenty dollars. more like 65 here. it is ridiculous.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Good for you FLourGirl

HOORAY!!! FlourGirl will soon be a thing of the past and the new name will be "BuffGirl"! WTG

By the way, the first time I ever joined a gym, I weighed 307 lbs also. I was a lot younger and did step aerobics three times a week plus resistance training. Our class was in a big open room and was veiwed by all!!! Now the thing about the class was most of the people were in their 60 and 70's. I joined because of my arthritis and they kicked my BUTT!!!! They were great encouragers, but left me in the dust. Then they would go and sit in the hot tub afterwards. So they invited me to sit with them and I swear, I got embarrassed, ME! All they talked about was SEX and MEN!!! So there is hope for me yet!!!! LOL!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

!!!!! Great for you! Going to the gym
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #6  

Thanks ladies !! I went last night too and this time my 15 year old son wanted to come with me. He RAN five miles on the treadmill beside me as I walked my 2 miles. I do walk on an incline at a steady pace and after I'm done I do feel like I got a workout. I'll go again tonight as I really want to try and do this everyday. I know the more I workout the better I'll feel in the long run. I won't have any of those "what if I exercised....would that have helped my weightloss".....I'll be able to say I moved my butt and did everything possible to enhance my weightloss. One thing that I've noticed is that in the evenings when I come home I DO NOT have the "want" to eat anything. I just want to drink....but then again..you should see how much I sweat..it's not pretty...well, I don't think sweat on anyone is pretty!! Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes. I'll let you know when I get the nerve up to try one of the elliptical machines. I keep eyeing them up but...I am LESS than coordinated. I can't even walk on the treadmill without holding on...LOL!!! I'll try one of the elliptical machines when that room is empty that way if I make a fool of myself noone will be there to witness it....
Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Good for you!! That is one of the wonderful benefits of exercise for me too - it dulls my appetite. The elliptical is great, give it a try when the room is empty. It takes a bit of working up to, most people have to start with just a few minutes on it, then keep adding more, so don't get discouraged if you don't last long initially.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #8  

I've read that it's like running without all of the jarring to your joints. My biggest problem is grace/coordination...I don't have any!! LOL!! I know that I belong to another message board and some of the ladies have told me that they started out only doing 3-5 minutes on the elliptical and then worked up from there.

I will try it....it just has to be the right time......LOL!!!

Thanks for all of the encouragment!

Chrissy
Old 04-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Chrissy!!! you're kicking BUTT! I used to love the gym but all of ours are $$$$$ so its me and WATP but I'll be thinking of you sweating while I'm sweating and know I'm not alone!
keep up the good work!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/207/165

Height: 5' 3"

You go girl. The gym will be great for you.

I started going when I weighed 263. I am now 231. I have a ways to go but being overweight shouldn't stop you.

I do a weight training plan that I setup with a trainer followed by 22 or 28 minutes of cardio. I do the elliptical and the arc trainer on alternating days. I hate doing the cardio because I find it boring but it definitely helps so I continue.

The elliptical and the arc trainer will kick your butt but once you build up to it you'll be proud of yourself.

I am not a surgery person so I know that you may face obstacles that I haven't but do what you can it will make a difference.

Also, reward yourself in someway like get a massage once in a while or have a manicure or whatever makes you feel good about yourself.
msroboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #11  
No description available.

Yeah, Flourgirl!!! I'm proud of you!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

i am SOOO proud of you!!!!!!! and impressed!!!!!!!

<but i'm going to give you a word of warning about those ellipticals - the first time i tried them, i fell off!!!!!> i'd been doing the treadmill and the bike, and hiking, so i figured i was ready for a new challenge - was it EVER a shock!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:18 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 440/208/220 Exceeded by 12 lbs

Height: 5'10"

You are doing Great. Word of advise.... Start the ellipical slow like 2 min the first few times, then try to go 5 min a few times, then go 8 to 10 min a few times.... ECT.

I started this way and it is a good way to get to know your body and the machine. In 1 month time I went from doing 2 min at first to now 1 HOUR Straight burning off over 1250 calories in a workout. I have pushed myself as high as 2 hours in one day( that is very hard and do not recommend that much training in one day) Since the first of the year I have taken off 35 more lbs.

Keep up the Motivation and remember YOU ARE DOING IT BECAUSE YOU LOVE YOURSELF AND WANT BETTER HEALTH, Looking better is a by product!!!
Pazazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #14  
Old Cackler

soooo, chrissy - did you get on the elliptical??? inquiring minds want to know!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #15  

Why Jiff....just who would that inquiring mind be..????

Yes, I did try it...and I must have been doing something wrong because I was going backwards....Instead of having my feet moving forward like I was running or riding a bike they were going backwards...heels first.... I told you that I am not coordinated nor am I graceful. I will try again I just don't want to make a spectical of myself. I did however see a lady one evening going backwards but...she was doing that on purpose...I wasn't... I will try again...I promise. I just don't want an audience...LOL!!

Sometime this week my hubby is going to go in with me and teach me how to use the resistance machines. I want to start that part of my workout. I am doing cardio and I REFUSE to leave the gym until I burn off 300 calories. I'm really enjoying my workouts. I just plug in my headphones and go to town.

I'm glad to see you posting. I've been on here looking for you. I'm sure that your busy but I do miss seeing you on here. How is Peachy??? Please tell her that I said "hi".

See ya,

Chrissy