Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 04-22-2008, 02:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Red face Lapband Wannabee

Hey Chicks,

I have been seriously considering the Lap Band. Ive done my research, and watched documentaries, etc. I live in Hawaii and have Medicaid insurance. Ive read that Medicaid will only cover it if its done in a Bariatric Center of Excellence, and, unfortunately, we have none here. So, I am in the dark. I talked to my PCP today and he gave me no other information other than, "its not covered" Im in dismay, as you could imagine. So, I suppose my question would be if I wanted it to be covered, would I have to fly to the US to get it done. If so, what about after care? I read that it usually is covered for a year, and then after that....you pay out of your pocket. However, would I have to go to the same center everytime to get my fills, checks, etc, for it to be covered?

I hope someone can help me. Ive been dreaming about it......I know this will change my life....if only I could afford it....

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Default here's what i found on the Hawaii Medicaid site

What doesn't Medicaid cover?
Hawaii's Fee-For-Service Medicaid will not pay for the following services or items that include but are not limited to:
  • Naturopathic, Chiropractic and Christian-Science services
  • Private duty nursing
  • Cosmetic surgery
  • Drugs not approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration
  • Medical procedures of an experimental nature
  • Personal comfort items such as radio, television or telephone
  • Orthodontic services and fixed bridgework
  • Certain vitamins and vitamin mixtures
  • Acupuncture

it looks to me as if the lapband might not be covered IF your state's medicaid considers it to be experimental OR cosmetic [and some of the ads on TV are SAYING that it's cosmetic - grrrrrr!!!!!]

would you consider the gastric bypass if Medicaid covered it?

i'll keep looking for more info.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

I thought about a GB, but its really not for me. Ive tried calling the company, but they are giving me the run around.

I had no idea that some consider it cosmetic!! Thats pretty sad because in my opinion, its a life saver.

Thanks for helping
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote