Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Default If you feel like this is the time,

the time that your get healthy/weight loss/exercise/whatever efforts will work, I need you to tell me what brings you to that conclusion.

I've been trying to lose these 20 pounds (more or less--more at that moment) for 10 years. I started the first time just after my son's 1st birthday (when I thought I didn't have an excuse for being fat anymore). Here I am now, though, back at almost the weight I was then. My goal has been 150 pounds each time I've started a new program. I have NEVER REACHED IT. EVER. Not even close really. The closest I've been was 165.5. And that didn't last but about an hour.

I want to flip that switch, turn that corner, see that new day.

Where did you find yours?
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Sometimes it's a new way of looking at things (reading nutrition/'fitness articles) sometimes it's a deadline (wedding in 16 weeks or so...) Sometimes it's just that my pants are tight and I'm getting a muffin top!

Other times I don't wait for my switch to flick, I just go and do it, because NOT doing it I feel like a failure. So even if I don't feel all motivated and bouncy, I still DO IT. Just because!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #3  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

my first truning paoint was when I was 16 ( I got bone cancer). I started reading fitness magazines to pass the time. After I was finished with treatment I said to myself, time to get healthy and get in shape so I can stay Cancer free. my Second truning point was my diagnosis of Leukemia. went through a bit of a bumpy spot with my thinking..."I had done everything I could health wise to keep Cancer away and it didn't work so why try"...but then I realized that keep myself healthy and strong is eactly what helped me pull through, so now I am just even more determined....

and I want to look cute in my pink bikini!
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateful
the time that your get healthy/weight loss/exercise/whatever efforts will work, I need you to tell me what brings you to that conclusion.
Before, I always dieted, restricted, ate foods I didn't like and thought "wow, I can't wait until this is OVER so I can eat X Y and Z again." Of course, two things always happened: 1) restrict so much I binged and gave up because I was a no willpower loser 2) reached my goal weight, returned to the unhealthy habits that made me heavy in the first place. In both cases, I would regain all the weight I lost and more.

For the first time I'm not dieting. I didn't start a plan with the intention of one day stopping. I looked at how I ate, determined the foods I really loved and couldn't live without and the foods that I could live without forever and decided to make a permanent change. I planned maintenance from day 1, my goal was not only to lose weight, but to be a healthy, slender person for the rest of my life. There is no diet to stop, this is just the way I eat.

Previously, I was so intent on losing weight, that I lost sight of the big picture - health. Now, my focus is firmly on health and weight loss happened as a happy byproduct.

I've never before maintained weight loss for a month, much less 17 months. I really feel like this time I figured out the "magic switch." It turned out to be so incredibly easy that I sure wish I had figured it out 20 years ago. Losing weight and keeping it off has been the hardest yet easiest thing I've ever done.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Losing weight and keeping it off has been the hardest yet easiest thing I've ever done.
That's interesting! There is a bit of a paradoxical element to it, isn't there?

I'm certainly not 20 pounds from goal as you are, kateful, but I have lost more weight than I ever have before, and I've maintained some healthy habits for ten months. What's been different this time is that I somehow internalized that the means to the end is something I want for myself - daily good health habits. I've worked hard to view myself as an active, physically fit and healthy person. While my body is still catching up with my behaviors and my mindset, I believe that the difference now is that I visualize myself and my goal differently.

I truly think it's a mind thing, and it takes a conscious daily effort to change how we think about ourselves.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #6  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I gained 30 lbs. during my pregnancy with our son 22 years ago and, after losing and gaining about 20 lbs. several times, I gave up. I thought I'd just have to come to grips with the fact that I'd always be 204 lbs. I was healthy, with good cholesterol, normal blood pressure and was fairly active.

The wake-up call came when I went through menopause 5 years ago at the age of 52. My blood pressure had started to rise, I could hardly walk because of arthritis and fibromyalgia and my cholesterol was high. I also found out I had breast cancer. I rapidly gained another 11 lbs., bringing me to my all-time high weight of 225 lbs.

It's taken me 2-1/2 years to lose 37 lbs. but this time I've made some real lifestyle changes, including regular exercise, so I feel there's a good chance I'll keep it off this time. The most I've gained in this time is 2 lbs. but I've always managed to start losing again even after plateaus lasting several weeks. By the way, my cholesterol is now normal, as is my blood pressure and I don't have nearly as much pain from my arthritis.

The moral of this story is that being overweight will catch up with you health-wise sooner or later. It's nice to look slimmer, but the #1 advantage for me is better health and mobility. Never give up - this time may be the charm!

Last edited by penpal; 07-27-2006 at 01:28 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My first attempt at real weight loss was a bust, because I ended up pregnant with my first child. At that time, I had done an extensive measurement of my body (with goals) and when I found out I was pregnant, I filed the measurements in my pregnancy book. Four years later, I was pregnant again and I pulled out the pregnancy book and found the measurements. I thought to myself, wow, I wanted to lose the weight four years ago and didn't ever get around to it. Now, I still can't diet because I'm pregnant. At that moment, I made myself a goal--when I wean baby #2, I'll diet. And I refiled the measurement paper.

Baby #2 was born and during the next six months, I psyched myself into my diet phase. I read up on healthy ways of losing weight. I looked at myself and made mental decisions that I didn't like what I saw and I was going to change. When baby #2 was weaned (at about 6 months old), I started a low fat, low calorie diet and exercise program. Since I was no longer pregnant or nursing, I could go back to drinking alcohol, but decided to give that up until I had lost the weight. The weight came off pretty quickly and I lost about 40 pounds or so. I made almost all of the goals I had made 5 years previously!

I kept the weight off for over 5 years (well, within a 10 pound range). Then job stresses over the next few years made me lose control of my new healthy diet and I started back on comfort food and probably too much alcohol. I regained the weight in a couple of years and then stayed that way for a couple more years. Then I decided I'd had it with my job and I quit. At that time, I decided that I would begin a simple exercise regimen (but I didn't change my diet or alcohol intake). After a couple of months, I noticed that I had not lost any weight and then the holidays hit and I gained a few more pounds. I was supposed to start my new job in January, but when January came, I was "postponed" until March or April. I felt like I had been given a repreive or a gift! I had wanted to lose weight before I started the new job, and now I could really get going and do it! I was actually excited!

On about January 5th (right after my DH's birthday and the official "end" to our holiday season) I started. I restricted my alcohol intake. I went to more low fat cooking, I started walking A LOT more than I had been. I lost about 10 pounds right away and was very happy. Then I hit a plateau (and that's when I found 3FatChicks). I got a lot of good advice and got through my plateau and started to lose again. By the time April came and I started my new job, I had lost more than half of my goal. I continue to lose and have very realistic goals set for a time frame in which to lose the last few pounds.

One of the most motivating things that I found was the Goals Met section of 3FatChicks. It was there that I read about Glory87's weight loss journey and her adoption of a healthier overall diet. I bought the SuperFoods RX book and have made a goal of eating more superfoods in my diet. My family has not balked at most of the changes in our diet (and that is the best support of all!), but I will indulge them from time to time.
Quote:
Previously, I was so intent on losing weight, that I lost sight of the big picture - health. Now, my focus is firmly on health and weight loss happened as a happy byproduct.
This says it all for me!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #8  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

kateful -

Good for you for wanting to recommit to achieving your goal!

I recently (beginning of July) "flipped my switch" so that I could lose an additional 50 lbs (at least). I've been maintaining a 50 lb loss for quite a while and couldn't seem to get back in the saddle to finish the job. So what did it for me?

1) Gave myself credit for the healthy habits I'd managed to hold onto; didn't focus on the less healthy ones I'd reverted back to.
2) Started small. At first (this time around), all I did was to start taking the stairs instead of the elevator in the parking garage at work. Sure, I wasn't burning many calories, but that wasn't the point. Each time I bypassed all the folks waiting for the elevator and hiked up the stairs I was reminding myself "I can choose to commit to a healthy habit."
3) Along the same lines, I told myself that whatever I did now toward my goal, no matter how small, was 100% BETTER THAN DOING NOTHING!!!
4) Read. Reading about health, nutrition, success stories and the psychological/emotional reasons for overeating primed me to ease back into the weight loss mindset.
5) Registered @ 3FC (I was a lurker forever). But you're already here!

I never gave up on my goal and I'm OK with the fact that it may take a long time. Slow and steady works for me.

Good luck finding out what works for you!

Mary
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Thanks, everyone.

Breakingfree, I read another of your posts about Geneen Roth's books. I've been told about her before, but have never followed through with getting any of them. I will now.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #10  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateful
Thanks, everyone.

Breakingfree, I read another of your posts about Geneen Roth's books. I've been told about her before, but have never followed through with getting any of them. I will now.
kateful -

I hope you find them as helpful I have. In the meantime, be gentle with yourself .

Mary
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #11  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingFree
I told myself that whatever I did now toward my goal, no matter how small, was 100% BETTER THAN DOING NOTHING!!! Mary
That is so true! It the little changes that add up to success. Like you, I'm also a big believer in 'slow & steady'. I was always in the camp of 'lose quickly - gain back quicker' until this time around. It's taken me 2-1/2 years to get this far, but at least I feel I can reach my goal eventually (even if it takes another few years) and keep it off this time.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

The way that I knew that this was the time to take the weight off and keep it off was due to my deteriorating health. Doing my best to regain some of my health was much needed. My doctor gave me a much needed kick in the butt and it worked. I didn't really believe in myself to start with, but as the lbs. dropped I became more confident. I felt better both physically and mentally. I wasn't as exhausted as before. Finding 3FC's was a tremendous help for me, as I had lost weight before and never kept it off. I knew nothing about maintenance. I have learned so much here and feel it will definitely help with the maintenance. Good luck to you and best wishes.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Before, I always dieted, restricted, ate foods I didn't like and thought "wow, I can't wait until this is OVER so I can eat X Y and Z again." Of course, two things always happened: 1) restrict so much I binged and gave up because I was a no willpower loser 2) reached my goal weight, returned to the unhealthy habits that made me heavy in the first place. In both cases, I would regain all the weight I lost and more.

For the first time I'm not dieting. I didn't start a plan with the intention of one day stopping. I looked at how I ate, determined the foods I really loved and couldn't live without and the foods that I could live without forever and decided to make a permanent change. I planned maintenance from day 1, my goal was not only to lose weight, but to be a healthy, slender person for the rest of my life. There is no diet to stop, this is just the way I eat.

I've never before maintained weight loss for a month, much less 17 months. I really feel like this time I figured out the "magic switch." It turned out to be so incredibly easy that I sure wish I had figured it out 20 years ago. Losing weight and keeping it off has been the hardest yet easiest thing I've ever done.
I don't need to type anything, except to say this is what I'd say. All except for #2. I've never reached my goal before. I always fell shy of it and gave up on the lettuce diet I'd put myself on and went back to the chocolate diet I'd enjoyed previously and gained everything back. LOL

The statement "Now, my focus is firmly on health and weight loss happened as a happy byproduct"...amen. I intended to lose weight this time, but the goal was for health and not for looks. I figured eating right and exercising would help me lose but also improve my health...and they've worked wonders.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/169/130

Height: 5'3"

For me, it was the wake up call in the middle of the night when my chest started hurting. It wasn't a heart attack, but multiple tests later (and several hundred dollars :/ ), I found out I have acid reflux, fat in my liver, and high cholesterol. Luckily, all of these are something I can combat with a lifestyle change. I'm 21 years old, I'm too young to be worrying about cholesterol, dangit! So I decided it was time to do something about it for good.
PandyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

To be perfectly honest, I think my initial foray into weight loss was a manifestation of obsessive/compulsive tendancies I have with depressive/anxiety disorders.
I have always jumped into projects (good and bad) with both feet and little wisdom. I think I teetered on the brink of control issues. After I lost a couple pounds I thought "Aha, here's something I can control!" But when I got thinner, I kinda liked it.
However ... having begun with more gusto than smarts ... and hurried ... and did not deal with those emotional issues ... I blossomed right back up again. And of course became depressed about my looks, lack of control, failing my friends and family.
Is it too late to make a long story short?
It was only after I tended to those depressive issues and stuck with therapeutic treatment ... that I've felt more like I've got it.
I have my ups and downs. But it'll soon be 3 years that my highest weight was 142 lbs, which is still 20 lbs from my highest ever. I just feel like I can now keep my ducks in a row.
Maybe all the other times we try, we're just collecting up a bushel of ducks?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote