Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #61  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHavey
My comment was pointed to Jill
Since you're directing things at me, I went ahead and responded in a PM so as not to completely hijack the thread (although it's already well off the intended course, I'm sure)
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #62  
LLV

Quote:
If one person takes my advice and loses weight, then I am glad that I spent the time trying to give that advice to whomever wanted to take it. I am trying to end Obesity in our nation by empowering people to improve their health, make better decisions and get fit, that is my personal mission statement and I am going to do it one person at a time!
Sounds like a good goal to me

I read a news article recently that said obesity is growing in men and children but leveling off in women.

Any comments on that?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 PM   #63  
Julia Havey

yes, I have a comment! I think the result was because women lie about thier weight so the stats are not quite accurate. 2 days after that study, another came out stating basically that, that we think everyone else may be obese/overweight but state our weight as fine when asked.....
JuliaHavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #64  
LLV

Well, I was assuming they were basing these statistics not by what women SAY they weigh but from records of doctor visits. I mean, I don't think they'd really just go on what someone says, taking their word for it. I would imagine they're getting actual weights because everyone is weighed when they go to the doctor and then the statistics are reported. It would be kind of stupid of them to go on someones word alone.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #65  
Julia Havey

privacy laws! Your doctor's office can't tell anyone anything about you, your health, your weight. so many of these studies and surveys are like the census--they call and ask, send out forms, random samplings..........acurate? NOT a chance!

I think the problem is much worse than stated. Just look around next time you are out in public. People using motorized scooters drinking Pepsi.....a very unhealthy time in America for sure.
JuliaHavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #66  
LLV

Quote:
privacy laws! Your doctor's office can't tell anyone anything about you, your health, your weight. so many of these studies and surveys are like the census--they call and ask, send out forms, random samplings..........acurate? NOT a chance!

I think the problem is much worse than stated. Just look around next time you are out in public. People using motorized scooters drinking Pepsi.....a very unhealthy time in America for sure.
Ahh, I see. So either obesity really is leveling off in women or somebody's doing some lying
Old 04-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #67  
Work it out.

I watched Oprah and today and she said something interesting if your on plateau you need to change your routine and work out harder. You cant exercise in the same pace you started. You need to up it up, and I know you can do Misti.
motivation86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:06 AM   #68  

Height: 5'8.5"

LOL sorry but 80-100 minutes on a "normal" day, with more on weekends, as I am doing is about all the "upping" it I plan to do!! I have an 11 hour workday with commute, and enough is enough LOL
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:35 AM   #69  

I don't think it is necessarily about harder or more time, but just that your body get used to the same routine. You muscle build "memory" of the movement and don't have to work as hard. Changing be simply doing different exercises for the same muscle if you are weight training or changing your route if you are walking so that you hit hills at different times. From what I have read, changing up your workout every 8 weeks or so is a good thing.

(Misty I have no idea what you do for your work out.. I'm just throwing this out there as part of the conversation. It's not necessarily directed at you )
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:06 AM   #70  
Girl Trying

S/C/G: 5'4" CW: Unknwn 140? STGW: 125

I know a year or so ago I saw that approx 60% of American men are overweight as opposed to 40% of American women. And yet all the criticism is aimed at women. Well, thats probably WHY we're less overweight. We're made to feel horrible for it, men arent. That IS changing... I also read a study that will be posted in a biology journal this? next? month that while in the past and now it has been/is that above all men seek "good looking" women, women used to seek financially stable men. But that more financially stable a woman is, the more she prefers "good looking" men, and that as women in general have better financial standing today than 20, 30, 50 years ago, likewise has the preference for looks over finance changed. Anyway, I hate the disparity in the pressure, glad its getting more even, though of course it would be best if preferences were more about substance overall!!!!!!!!
PeeB is offline   Reply With Quote