Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #1  

Default I need SERIOUS help!

Here's my story. I am 51 and about 65 lbs. overweight. OUCH.

Last year I started the south beach diet and lost 19 lbs in about 6 months. At that point I hit a plateau and I couldn't seem to get below 160. I had started at 180. Well, after getting really tired of not dropping any weight and not eating things that seemed to be beckoning, I did the bad thing and gave up.

I have now gained back 15 of the pounds and weigh 175. I am SO angry. Yet, I can't imagine going back on the SBD. I just don;t see myself sticking with it. I exercise sporadically, just can't seem to get motivated.

I don't eat a lot of fast food, but my weakness is snacking at night. I eat a sensible breakfast, an ok lunch, a moderate dinner, and then at night I love to have a brownie or a bowl of ice cream. I don't think I eat a LOT, so I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who gains easily.

For this reason, its really hard for me to cut things out...yet, I do want to lose the weight.

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to get motivated....maybe a little step at a time? If I see positive results, i.e., weight loss, it becomes easier for me to go on. But it seems so difficult for me to drop weight, that I tend to get discouraged and give up.

Any help for me??

Thanks!
Kris
henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

You have to find that step for yourself. I have been overweight my whole life and people told me over and over to lose weight – but I didn’t. And one day it just clicked and I fell face first onto that step.

The only thing I can say is you won't see any positive results (to get you motivated) without trying.

But we are here to give you support and help you so don't be afraid to post and ask for help but I do not know what I can say to you that you do not already know.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:14 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Oh and like everyone will tell you... do not think of it as a diet!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Like sotypical said, something in you has to click.

You sound like me a few years ago. I hated the way I looked and really wanted to lose weight, but not enough to give up the sweets and snacks. But last September I finally had it, plus had some potential health issues, so I made a lifestyle change.

Look how long it's taken me -- less than 20 pounds in over 6 months, very similar to you. But I don't rely on motivation. I think motivation is a fleeting emotion in that it comes and goes. I rely on determination, which keeps me on track no matter my mood.

As far as getting going, it sounds like you know what you need to do. Baby steps worked for me, but I know it's not effective for others. Maybe calorie counting would work for you so you can fit in your daily brownie or ice cream. If you're not exercising regularly, do it. Also try just cutting your portion sizes a bit; that might make a difference. As time goes on, you may want to take more drastic steps.

Good luck!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:32 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3

i agree. you have to decide when the time is right or you wont stick to it. i came off atkins and went to calorie counting. atkins was just too much work and i'm not a big fan of meat so i felt deprived. calorie counting is pretty easy because there seems to be lowcal everything these days. my ice cream made w/ splenda is 90 calories and no fat. when you're ready, i think you should try it. i'd also set a time that you wont eat after. mine is 10pm bc i go to bed at 1ish and i reward myself if i can go a week w/o eating after 10. good luck.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:33 PM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf40
I rely on determination, which keeps me on track no matter my mood.
Same goes for me.

Sorry - I could of been a bit more helpfull in my last posts. I count calories and I find that really works for me. Yes I lost weight fast doing Atkins and Weight Watchers but i could not stick to it. This I can stick to. Like sf40 said you work in what you want - you want some ice cream just count it and eat less or none of something else.

Like shawnamadonna1013 I too have a time I do not eat after and that is 7:30pm. If I am hungry after that I may have a can of diet soda but no food.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycat
I don't eat a lot of fast food, but my weakness is snacking at night. I eat a sensible breakfast, an ok lunch, a moderate dinner, and then at night I love to have a brownie or a bowl of ice cream. I don't think I eat a LOT, so I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones who gains easily.

For this reason, its really hard for me to cut things out...yet, I do want to lose the weight.
First, WELCOME!! My first advice is just to read read read all over this site!!

You say you don't think you eat a lot, but you might be surprised if you actually track the calories. A brownie or ice cream is likely hundreds of calories per serving. And even if your food otherwise is healthy, you could still be eating too much of it to lose weight.

If you really want to lose, I'd suggest tracking EVERYTHING you eat in a program like nutridiary or fitday. Once you have a sense of how many calories you really eat in a day, it might help you realize why you are gaining weight. I know I was really surprised to realize how much I ate and how many calories were in it!

Also, if you really DO want to lose weight, you will have to make a commitment to either exercising more or eating less (and probably both). I know, I know, it sounds completely daunting to say that, but it's true -- especially as we get older, our metabolisms slow down.

On a related note, I don't think you can expect a quick fix, or that you can lose and then go back to your old habits. If you want to fit all your nutrients in, you may not be able to eat brownies or ice cream every day. Maybe you will -- but I think if you want to be serious about it -- and be healthy -- you really have to examine really changing your behaviors for life. So, if you can't stick to a low carb diet, then it isn't for you! I don't think I could do that, and I don't think I have to, so I count calories.

Finally, you said you weigh 175 and are 65 pounds overweight -- putting your goal at 110... that seems kind of low (unless you are short).

I hope this didn't all come across that I am trying to be really negative or a downer, but it seemed you were kind of waffling. I would advise you to start by making small changes that you think you can make for life and look for non-scale victories too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:04 PM   #8  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I agree with everyone who's responded so far. The only advice I can offer is that, rather than try to find motivation, tell yourself it's something you have to do. Don't give yourself a choice anymore.

Exercise is very important. Even if you're not eating as well as you should be, exercising will still lead to weight loss eventually because muscle burns more calories at rest. Calories in vs Calories out. Even if you don't want to give up your treats, start limiting how often you have them. Make better food choices throughout the day, and commit to exercising more when you do treat yourself. It's all about balance.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:36 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I am short :-) I am 5'2". I know I could live with 140, but the weight charts seem to indicate I should be 110 or so, that's why I figure I'm 65 overweight. eeewww.

I know everyone said everything that is right. I know I have very little willpower esp since coming off the SBD. I did deprive myself, as much as the SBD'ers don't like to admit that - LOL. So when I quit, I was in heaven. Sad.

I think I will try the calorie counting routine. I wonder how many calories I would need to stick to at my weight, age and height.

Is there a site that might help me with that?

Thank you again, I am glad to be here -
Kris
henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

I am 5'2/5'3 as well and aiming for 130 that gives me a healthy BMI of 23. Once I get there I may aim lower but I want to keep some curves!

Check this out for calorie counting!
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
Old 03-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #11  
Fat chick to Fit chick

henrycat-
I agree with the rest of the posts, however I remember something from an episode of Dr. Phil that I always think about, a no fail environment! Get rid of those goodies that trigger you most. I know if you have a hubby or children that you have to have them for it's hard, but, maybe keep them in a certain spot, out of your sight. My husband has a girlfriend, her name is "Little Debbie", he takes his lunch to work and we always have that junk in the house and I typically don't eat them, but if I know they're there and I wait too long between meals, they're calling my name! I'm trying the 3 hour Diet Monday, it seems like something I can stick to. Wish you much success!!!!!!

Last edited by tooblessed2Bstressed; 03-31-2006 at 07:55 PM.
tooblessed2Bstressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 PM   #12  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Welcome!!! I definitely agree that tracking what you eat would be a good idea - I used to think I didn't eat that much, but I tracked my eating for a week before I started trying to lose weight and I was seriously consuming about 2500 to 3000 calories a day - WAY too much (I'm only 5'2"). I use Fitday to track my food, and it helps so much. I had a slump over the past couple weeks, because I'd stopped paying attention to what I was putting in my mouth, and I started to lose again as soon as I started tracking it again.
Also, I think it would make sense for you to set a healthy weight first (up to 135 lb for your height). Once you've hit that you can look at whether you still want to lose more or not - the ideal weight varies depending on your frame ( a small frame might be quite comfortable at 110, but I'm a medium frame and I know that it's almost impossible for me to get below 120 without starving, literally). Plus, a smaller goal is easier to attain.
Hope this helps, and hope to see you around some more!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #13  
I restore Teeth.

you have to realize that if you want to keep it off and be healthy forever, it's a LIFE choice. It doesnt mean a temporary diet. South beach actually has a lot of choice for a "diet". Find some routine for fitness and a diet that works without flaws. It's suppose to be something you'll live with for the rest of your life. Things change ONLY when you change.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

As for the question of how many calories to eat, there are some basic rules of thumb... but honestly it's late and I can't recall them offhand.

Anyway, I was going to recommend you come join us in calorie counters here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=172

as people are always asking that question there, and you'll get a lot of good info.

And also, I second trying fitday or nutridiary... when I plugged in my numbers and how much I wanted to lose /week (I set mine at 1pound/week), nutridiary told me an estimate for the number of calories I should eat, based on weight, gender... it figures things like your Basal Metabolic Rate, etc. I think the estimates match me well, and perhaps I am unusual.

If you are unfamiliar with these terms, I can also point you to this thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80131

in calorie counters where we discussed these issues.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #15  
Mel

You are my height and age and a bit lighter than where I started 5 years ago. I currently maintain at between 120-125 and wear a size 2 or 4 jeans, and a 6 top (big back and broad shoulders). Last summer I was 115 for a day or 3 and found maintenance IMPOSSIBLE there. Think chicken breast, egg whites, broccoli, tiny amounts of oatmeal and lots of lettuce, and nothing else. I'm extremely muscular and lift heavy 4 days a week, do cardio 4 days a week, and lose on about 1300 calories. I maintain on 1500. Given my activity level (I'm a personal trainer), these numbers make no sense and I should have disappeared a few years ago, but this is reality. Everyone's body is different.

Unless you have an extremely small frame and very little muscle, I think your goal is way too low. If you fit that picture, I'd suggest GAINING some muscle because 1) it will actually help you lose weight and 2) it will protect you bones and prolong your life. You really don't want to be a frail, deconditioned, but skinny woman in your fifties, because that leads to an even frailer, more deconditioned woman with potential bone fractures in your sixties and seventies.

Please look at lifestyle fitness changes- not just scale changes
And those brownies and ice cream pack a huge caloric punch. I deluded myself with them for years.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote