Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2005, 11:53 PM   #1  

Default sick during exercising

I have noticed something weird during my exercising. I exercise very often and always feel really great and full of energy. I take a lot of group exercises and enjoy them. The only problem I am having is step aerobic and any kind of group exercise that uses weights - straightening, etc. I always get sick, get headache and I have to stop or I would faint. I always have to sit down for at least 10 mins. That is why I stopped going for step aerobic. I am just wondering if anyone else had similar problem.
katushkacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:41 AM   #2  

Hi Katushkacz:

A couple things come to mind..... have you checked with a Dr ?

Is your cholesterol level within normal range?

Do you eat protein or slow burn complex carb about half hour before exercise?

Do you check your heart rate while exercising? If you are out of your target zone (basically 220 minus your age, then multiply that by .60 to get low range and .75 to get high range). Weights and stepping high will both dramatically raise your pulse rate, and you might not be exercising aerobic but anaerobic if you notice you start to huff and puff. You might have to modify to a slower pace when you do the steps or use the weights to stay in your target heart rate zone for a while as your body builds it's aerobic capacity.

Also there are folks that do have a form of exercise allergic reactions. I don't know much about it, just heard it mentioned on tv. But you should check with a Dr if it is a persistent thing.

When I started exercising I started walking very slow and was passed by many folks. Now a year and half later, I breeze by most folks out walking on the track. I'm up to 4.2 mph on the treadmill here at home, so I guess I do that out there on the track too. Last spring a lady asked me for some help in learning to walk faster. I was glad to help her and see her improve in time too. It's a good feeling to see the improvements in aerobic capacity and ability to do longer workouts without getting all winded.

Allie
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:51 AM   #3  

I checked with my doctor when it happened for the first time. My cholesterol is OK, blood pressure and even sugar level. I am just a healthy girl.
I really drink before and during doing an exercise (a lot of water). It is true, that I don't usually eat before.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #4  

I have that problem if I'm working out and going at it way to intense. When your doing step or any other kind of physical activity you should be able to talk (or yell at the kids in my case) I have a bike that both the arms and legs move. I'm not kidding 8 mins. and I almost passed out, so the next time I focused on my breathing and when I started puffing I dropped the arms and slowed down. I was able to stay on for 15 mins. I really hate admitting it but I'm really out of shape so slowing down helps me hang longer. I have a step video (don't laugh it's old) with Susan Powter, she continually tells you to modify and has many different people with many differnt fitness levels on the tape, I'm not the only one that fling my arms around for the full tape. When you are full speed into it and you stop like that dosen't that make it worse? I found if I'm really bluish green, puffing hard and need to stop I have to march in place or walk. Oh and by the way welcome!!
lmatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

You should try eating first. I try to exercise about 1 hour after I eat.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #6  

It's good to hear that you are healthy and have seen a Dr. and have no clogged arteries or heart problems to deal with. That's all good news. So, maybe it's more about target heart zone and conditioning...... or......

Do you have allergies?
I have to be careful where I exercise because I am severly allergic to dust mites. If the air isn't circulated well in a buiding I get woozy and headachy. I have to check out where classes are held because if they have carpeted floors.... forget it. I can't suck in all that bad air. If they use those big exercise mats at the end - I get all woozy and sneezy. Even if I bring my own foam pad, just the stuff from all the others being used sends me into allergic response mode. I'm too ego driven to wear my dust mask to exercise classes, so I just don't go.

When I started exercising I was real slow, but as I got better I picked up a nice cheap heart rate monitor at Wal-Mart for $50. It just shows your heart rate on a wrist watch and has a band that you wear on your chest, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles to chime when you're over or under your target zone like so many at the sporting stores sell at a much higher price. It's interesting how little extra incline out walking makes it jump, and I really have to go slower than I like when I go upstairs on the bleachers to keep in my range. Vanity would have me going much faster, but I'm not out there for vanity I'm out there to train my heart and metabolism to work better.

Oh, another thing came to mind. Do you take any multi-vitamins with extra potassium? We all excrete potassium when we work out, the more we sweat the more potassium we loose. Bananas are high in potassium. I generally take one within a few hours after execise. I've read that some folks get dizzy during exercise if they are low in potassium. Nothing about the headaches tho. It's real inexpensive to get the pills in the stores.

Allie
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 04:21 PM   #7  
Gia
Canadian Momma

I used to have that happen right around when I was due for my period. My Dr said it was very low blood pressure brought on by impending Aunt Flo. But that is the only times when it would happen, and that I would have very low blood pressure (I have low blood pressure normally: 110 over 60). Now I just skip hard exercise when I know she's on her way and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck! It can be scary sometimes.
Gia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #8  

Oh, another thing came to mind. Do you take any multi-vitamins with extra potassium? We all excrete potassium when we work out, the more we sweat the more potassium we loose. Bananas are high in potassium. I generally take one within a few hours after execise. I've read that some folks get dizzy during exercise if they are low in potassium. Nothing about the headaches tho. It's real inexpensive to get the pills in the stores.

Allie[/QUOTE]

Thank you all!!! I have not thought about this idea. Well, I believe you are right about the potassium. I always have bananas at home. Sometimes, when I get sick I just need one and it really makes me feel better. It is funny that I do it but never thought about it. I guess I will try it when I go for my next step class. I just wanna see if that works. Otherwise, I will just not be attending step classes anymore. Thanks!!