Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #1  

Default I am about to give up on losing my belly !

Well maybe?
I started drinking my favorite coctail after a few months off

Vodka and 7 up

But I also plan to start taking the Phentermine as prescribedy my PPC a few months ago that wasn't covered by insurance.

I can now afford it

I am 55 years old white man at 6 feet tall and 303 lbs with a very soft 53 inch tummy measured at the navel

It is 58+ inches if I measure it when seated below the navel where it is the most pooched out.

I am ready to give up. The special K pinch doesn't work on me.you can't pinch only an inch , you get a fistful of soft squishy pure Fatboy flabby blubber rolls !

I am learning to accept and almost like it.
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
Well maybe?
I started drinking my favorite coctail after a few months off

Vodka and 7 up

But I also plan to start taking the Phentermine as prescribedy my PPC a few months ago that wasn't covered by insurance.

I can now afford it

I am 55 years old white man at 6 feet tall and 303 lbs with a very soft 53 inch tummy measured at the navel

It is 58+ inches if I measure it when seated below the navel where it is the most pooched out.

I am ready to give up. The special K pinch doesn't work on me.you can't pinch only an inch , you get a fistful of soft squishy pure Fatboy flabby blubber rolls !

I am learning to accept and almost like it.
On second thought the area under my navel is just way too pooched out and soft
Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #3  
mjf

Why are you about to give up? Did you try a diet that didn't work? What kind of diet are you on?
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:51 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Why are you about to give up? Did you try a diet that didn't work? What kind of diet are you on?
I am not good at sticking with any kind of reimented diet program.

I am thinking more along the lines of just eating and drinking whatever I want now and letting the lovehandles form where they may
Old 12-11-2018, 05:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

IT is your life. .......... losing weight and getting fit is doable; and far easier for men than women. It just takes desire, a willingness to commit to a healthy and approprate diet for life and dedication.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:35 AM   #6  
mjf

Quote:
I am not good at sticking with any kind of reimented diet program.

I am thinking more along the lines of just eating and drinking whatever I want now and letting the lovehandles form where they may
It doesn't have to be regimented. A lot of people lose weight successfully without counting calories. You can improve your diet by following just a few simple rules, for example
- Limit the amount of sweets, refined carbs, deep fried foods, and alcohol that you eat/drink.
- Eat a few portions of vegetables each day.
- Eat enough protein.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #7  

Patience is key! YOU GOT THIS!
HelloCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCity View Post
Patience is key! YOU GOT THIS!
Well the only thing I have eated today is half a cantolope, I am sucking down Dubra and 7 ups before taking the wagon ride for a couple of months
Old 12-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #9  
mjf

Quote:
Well the only thing I have eated today is half a cantolope, I am sucking down Dubra and 7 ups before taking the wagon ride for a couple of months
Only for a couple of months?

Your current eating and drinking habits obviously aren't working, so you need to make permanent changes if you want permanent results. If you go back to your old habits after a couple of months, you'll regain whatever weight you lose.

I recommend making an appointment with a nutritionist to help you improve your diet.

Last edited by mjf; 12-25-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:27 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeliaNessa View Post
No, dont give up!
It gets depressing being both fat and old
Old 12-25-2018, 02:38 AM   #11  
mjf

Quote:
It gets depressing being both fat and old
There's nothing you can do about your age, but you can do something about your weight. If you improve your diet, then you'll lose weight and improve your health, and you'll probably be less depressed.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
There's nothing you can do about your age, but you can do something about your weight. If you improve your diet, then you'll lose weight and improve your health, and you'll probably be less depressed.
There is one other option. If I could just be about 18 inches taller overnight then the BMI numbers would work ?
Old 12-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 267.4/179.6/150

Height: 5'7"

And then you'd be what? 7'6"? I bet you'd just be trading in for a different set of health problems.

Honestly, reading your posts, it comes across that you just want a magic pill you can take to melt the fat away. While we'd all like that to be true, we have to accept that it isn't. The only way is better diet. More movement helps (and is great for you for other health reasons), but you "can't outrun your fork". Better diet is the key to weight loss. Eat fewer calories than you burn. Eating the right type of macros to keep you satiated helps too, and eating different macros and different eating plans can work better for some people than others. But ultimately, it is eat fewer calories than you burn, however you get there. For some people, keto works great for them. Personally, I know I could never sustain it, and I need something sustainable, or I'll just gain it back. Other people go vegetarian. Again, not sustainable for me.

For me, what worked it cutting back overall, and eating mindfully. I try to make good decisions at least 95% of the time, I stopped eating so darn much sugar, and I stopped snacking because I was bored. I don't deprive myself of anything I really want, but I remind myself that 95% of the enjoyment comes from the first bite, so I just stick with 1 or 2 bites of whatever I'm craving, not the whole bag. This was a very gradual process, where I picked one bad eating habit and tried to make it better. Once that was routine and habit, I chose another bad habit and tried to make it better. I don't strive for perfection, only improvement. Instead of a large fry, get a regular one, and then eventually graduate to a small one. Instead of supersizing the meal, don't. Or if you already don't supersize, try getting a kids meal. Try eating half the pizza instead of the whole thing. I started at 267 pounds and was eating unhealthy all the time. I've lost 60 pounds since March. Lately, I've advanced to just the burger, no fries, and actually stopped eating pizza altogether, because I just don't crave it anymore. Soda and alcohol are completely empty calories, with no nutritional benefit. Sounds like that would be a hard one for you to give up, but maybe you could cut 1 a week out to start with. Go from there.

My point is, find what works FOR YOU. Try a few ways of eating. But you can't spot reduce and lose just your belly. The only way to lose the belly is to lose fat, and it may come off your belly last. If you are a typical male, it likely WILL come off your belly last. That's just the way it is, and for now, there's nothing else you can do about it.

Also wanted to add that if you aren't willing to cut back on your calories, the other option is to get completely ripped. Since muscle burns a lot more calories than fat, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, so you could eat the same amount, plus potentially still burn fat. Plus, working out more makes most people WANT to eat healthier, so it can become a self-reinforcing cycle to getting healthier. Building a few muscles doesn't really have a downside, and is much easier for men than for women.
Lacerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #14  

Thank you very much for your thoughtful ideas
Old 12-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #15  
mjf

Quote:
Also wanted to add that if you aren't willing to cut back on your calories, the other option is to get completely ripped. Since muscle burns a lot more calories than fat, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, so you could eat the same amount, plus potentially still burn fat.
Even if he has a lot of muscle, it doesn't mean he can continue with his normal diet. Muscular guys with low body fat typically eat very healthy foods, but in large amounts. There are some guys who go to the gym regularly and eat junk food, but their muscle is less visible because it's covered by fat.