Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

View Poll Results: What Type of Exercise is Most Effective for YOU?
Yoga 2 9.09%
Walking 6 27.27%
Weight Training 8 36.36%
Boot Camp Classes 0 0%
Home Videos 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/176/150

Default What Type of Workout is Most Effective for you?

I'm curious, what exercises are most effective for you?

***edited to clarify...by "home videos" I meant in home video/dvd workout programs.
_______
Wendi
https://www.findingthecalminchaos.wordpress.com

Last edited by Wendiendi; 09-02-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Clarification
Wendiendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/176/150

I thought alot about this since I do all of them, which is why I was inquiring. But at the end of the day, I had to go with yoga because of ALL of the benefits it gives me, not just weight loss. For a period of time after I had all my bloodwork and measurements done, the only thing I did was yoga. Not only did I notice a decrease in my blood pressure, but also my anxiety levels. I didn't lose any weight, but I noticed I was stronger and more focused.

Really the reason I do so many types of exercise is to prevent boredom, but this is one that I'm glad I've incorporated into my repertoire.

_________
Wendi
https://www.findingthecalminchaos.wordpress.com
Wendiendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 331.2/304.8/180

Height: 5'7"

I would have to say weight training is most effective for me because it's the one I'll actually do. It seems like less effort to me than walking, although I know cardio is important too. Right now I'm not doing any exercise. I keep making excuses.
Sencha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:53 AM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Home videos for me, but that covers a lot. To be more specific, I have had terrific success with P90X (a mix of resistance training, HIIT, and yoga), T25 (mostly HIIT), Insanity (HIIT) and Piyo (Pilates/Yoga hybrid).
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #5  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Brisk walking! It's easy on my joints, easy to do (just put on running shoes and go outside or put in a walk at home dvd), it helps to clear my head after a long day, I can go in various speeds depending on my goals (moderate pace, slow/fast intervals, steady) and most importantly it has been very effective in getting and keeping me in shape.

I have lost 80 pounds and kept off for over 4 years mainly walking.

I also lift weights and use Youtube videos/dvd workouts, but for me it's walking.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM   #6  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

It depends on what you define as "most effective." For me, running helps me lose weight fastest. However, a high intensity body weight work out or low-moderate weights and high reps also helps in getting leaner. I'm most likely to want to run though- so that's most effective for me in terms of what I enjoy most.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #7  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

This is a tough choice for me bc I completely agree with Sencha that what's most effective is what you'll actually do, and with toastedmoke that it depends on how we define effective.

In my own experience and those of people closest to me, I find walking the most effective for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. I'd love to move back to NYC someday, and a big part of its appeal to me is the walking-intensive lifestyle there. My brother lost over 100 pounds and has maintained it for 15 years. His primary exercise is walking (also cycles). I've also easily dropped pounds by consistently walking.

Although I think walking's phenomenal for weight, I find home videos most effective for reshaping and strengthening my body. I'd probably find weight training sans video similarly effective, but that's not really something I've ever been good about doing. I like the videos bc a trainer is right before showing me which strength training routines to do, how to have correct form, and how many to do. So for me, home videos provide the benefits of a personal trainer for a variety of workouts, including weight training, with the added flexibility of doing the workouts whenever I want to, plus I can pick different trainers depending on my mood w/o worrying about hurting their feelings.

So for the poll, I'm torn between walking and home videos, but ultimately I've gotta pick walking.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 09-07-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #8  
Shorty getting fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide99 View Post
Brisk walking! It's easy on my joints, easy to do (just put on running shoes and go outside or put in a walk at home dvd), it helps to clear my head after a long day, I can go in various speeds depending on my goals (moderate pace, slow/fast intervals, steady) and most importantly it has been very effective in getting and keeping me in shape.

I have lost 80 pounds and kept off for over 4 years mainly walking.

I also lift weights and use Youtube videos/dvd workouts, but for me it's walking.
I used to have a job that was close enough that I could commute via walking. I valued how on my walk home, any and all stress from the day would melt away. There's something really special, for me, about being able to exercise *right* after work. It's this glorious transition to free time.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 09-07-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkahlunkah View Post
In my own experience and those of people closest to me, I find walking the most effective for weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. I'd love to move back to NYC someday, and a big part of its appeal to me is the walking-intensive lifestyle there. My brother lost over 100 pounds and has maintained it for 15 years. His primary exercise is walking (also cycles). I've also easily dropped pounds by consistently walking.
In some ways I'm jealous of urban dwellers for that. I live in a suburban/rural area and we can hike and such but walking isn't really a built in part of our daily life. Everything is so far away, and mass transit is so poor, that we drive nearly everywhere and you have to really plan your exercise. I think it'd be cool in some ways to live in a place where everything was in walking distance.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #10  
Shorty getting fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
In some ways I'm jealous of urban dwellers for that. I live in a suburban/rural area and we can hike and such but walking isn't really a built in part of our daily life. Everything is so far away, and mass transit is so poor, that we drive nearly everywhere and you have to really plan your exercise. I think it'd be cool in some ways to live in a place where everything was in walking distance.
Yeah, I really believe that the more mindless/unintentional our exercise is bc it's solidly weaved into our day, the easier it is to keep up with it. Mindless exercise + mindful eating = possibly the most effective weight management formula.

Not to say that intentional exercise is hard to keep up with; it's just not as easy when it's an add-on. I think it definitely can be maintained for life though, just takes effort. For me, I've stumbled during big life transitions when I've let intentional exercise slide, or not increased it enough when my work day became more sedentary. So I just need to stay aware of those time periods, since that's when I'm vulnerable to becoming inactive and putting on weight.

I think my ideal place to live would either be NYC or the downtown area of a medium-sized city that has beautiful outdoor spots close by.

Alaska looks gorgeous, btw! I'd love to visit and hike there someday. My aunt does lots of cruises and her AK one was her absolute favorite.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #11  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

When I dropped my 150# (Which I've
returned with 50 rebound #s) I did
almost all types of cardio. Plus weight
training. I voted WT becauseI believe
it was the most bang for the effort.
It helped with toning and slimming.
Yesterday I started again. Ouch. I feel
it tio That means it's working.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #12  

All exercises are effective ... But you have to continue.
YolaLendres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #13  

I prefer walking and then some simple and easy exercises for my problem areas like butt, abs etc. It keeps me fit and elastic. And I feel satisfied with my body and happy!
F. Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 200

Height: 6' 1"

I chose walking, it's worked well for me because I'm comfortable with it. I'm trying to break my comfort zone and move on up to more challenging weight training exercises.
jrfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #15  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Walking. This is my update answer, I have too much pain to attempt much else lately.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercising, weight loss