Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 162/160/144

Height: 5'8

Default I feel like I weigh more than I look. anyone?

I am 5'8 and weigh 160lbs. The thing is, I don't feel like I look this heavy at all. I am a vegetarian, generally eat very well, and work out (cardio and lifting) at least 5 times a week.
My overall lifestyle has actually changed since I got home from school (so almost two months), in terms of both eating and exercise, yet my weight has barely budged at all. I don't know if I'm putting on more muscle and therefore not losing, or what?
I also know that as far as bone density goes, my mom has gotten hers checked and she has ridiculous density. Maybe this is the way it is for me as well?
I know BMI doesn't take enough into account, but there are days when I'm feeling great and then I step on the scale and feel like everything I'm doing is useless. Does anyone else have this issue?
Thanks
... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If you are 5'8, 160 then you are in a healthy weight range. If you are also athletic/fit, then you are probably in a very healthy weight range.

So my question back to you is if you think you look good, and you eat well and you workout, where does 144 come from? I'm not saying it isnt a reasonable target, but what is the driver? Because it sounds like you are pretty happy with your actual body, but not as much the number on the scale so maybe the scale isnt a great metric for you?

I think some of us, especially when we are young get this notion of what a "good" weight is and it can be difficult, especially for taller women to reconcile what is good for their height. Also, from the sounds of it you are early 20's? guessing? I know another issue for young women is you hit your full height in your early teens at a point where you are still growing and developing (bone mass, organ mass, muscle mass). A weight that was "right" at 16 might not BE right as you reach full physical maturity.

Last edited by ennay; 06-21-2016 at 07:04 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

I agree with the above especially what you were as a teen and where you may settle as an adult. For me my body settled in between 152-160 in my 20s prior to other health issues and at teen stage 135. I was moderately active and ate fairly well. I don't think 162 is a bad number for your height. Don't worry what the next person is spouting that it's too high and please don't compare yourself to a famous who's job is to remain thin (remember too they have trainers, dieticians and others at there beck and call and really, are they happy in the end always trying to hit someones perceived notion of what's the right size? Sorry for mini-vent, but probably not). I'd say if you are concerned with your weight talk to your doctor to see what they recommend. Sometimes, especially when you come out of college w/the dreaded 15 or more you are in shock to know you gained that and then some. But my best advice, keep moving, eat well and get an opinion the next time you are in for a physical, you may just be surprised. Good luck!
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

There is only one thing wrong here and it's the scale. I mean you feel good, you eat healthy and you exercise. So why are you waiting for a little box on the floor to tell you whether you are ok or not? There is no magic number that will make you happy with yourself, happiness comes from the inside so don't base it on a number that only reflects your gravitational pull to the earth. If you keep looking at that number it will pull you into more and more dieting and dieting is proven to make people gain weight. So just live your life, keep working out and stop obsessing about the scale.

I know that's easier said than done but I had my husband hide the scale from me and it's such a life saver not having to think about that stupid thing.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Starting:136lbs Goal:115lbs

Height: 5"2

Right?! Bmi isn't accurate....
NaturalBeauty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

As my family is evidence, some people are just denser than others. Not sure if it is bones or more muscle or what, but we all weigh significantly more than it looks. I'm only 5'6" and when I weighed 160 I was a size 4. So I wouldn't get too hung up on the number on the scale. Maybe it is time to put that away and just keep yourself on track with a tape measure?
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmi, too heavy, vegetarian, weight