Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #106  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

AshliRose, thanks for posting about your experience. The fact that you were able to eat a trigger food and not be triggered is actually quite a feat!

I've had occasions where a trigger food was consumed and did not lead to a binge but that is very rare and not worth taking a chance...for me, at least.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #107  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
mars, your idea is perfect...but I'm not. I'm super non-confrontational and do have a hard time asking for what I want. I come off as super accommodating and then I hold some resentments, even though I know logically that I can't expect people to read my mind.
This is me, too. Sometimes I speak up and sometimes it's just too much for me. And sometimes confrontation just doesn't seem like the most effective thing to do in the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshliRose View Post
Oh my gosh! I just need to say this out loud to you all.

Talk about "Food Addictions". One day last week I was really tired and didn't want to cook, so I had a chili dog! It was easy and quick. I haven't really been eating much bread, especially white processed flour. So I realized in the past week since then I have had a total of 3 of those darn hot dog buns. They are not those typical little buns, but more of a fresh "white" hot dog bun. A bigger version. Last night I had my third one with shredded BBQ chicken. This morning it just dawned on me I was eating that as if it was normal again. It is my goal not to eat that because my body gets triggered and before I know it I'll gain all my weight back just from white flour carbs! The good thing is that so far I haven't craved anything else like cake or cookies. So I must remember to avoid this stuff like the plague. I know I don't need it and it is not good for my body. I don't function well on processed foods with additives and chemicals. I know I will eat bread sometimes, but I must choose the whole grain option.

Thanks for listening and being here. It's amazing how easily the addiction can creep up!
Wow, what a VICTORY! That is majorly insightful! Thank-you for posting--it will help the rest of us to keep our antennae up. I can so relate to having something that seems innocent, but turns out to be the beginning of a slippery slope. Even when I know better!

btw, does anyone else find BBQ-flavor anything is triggering? I have one more bottle of Walden Farms 0 cal BBQ sauce & am thinking about getting rid of it for based on your account.

Last edited by mars735; 06-09-2015 at 11:55 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #108  
onedayatatimer

Greetings fellow addicts! Where have you all gone? This thread got so low on the list that I started to worry that it disappeared! We need to post more, don't you think? I do. I'm tired so am coming off a little awkward here, but I don't care! I just want to keep this important thread afloat.

mars, I don't have issues with BBQ flavor but it seems that there's always sugar in BBQ flavor so it would make perfect sense. Also, as far as I know, those quick burst of flavor type foods (think bbq potato chips) are designed so that burst of flavor is very fast acting and disappearing, making us want more, more more! I think I saw a whole report about it on 60 minutes. Have you seen it? If not, then I think it's worth Googling.

My mom came over today and she brought my favorite desert in the world. She made it fresh for my kids, to celebrate last day of school. I didn't have any and there's still some in the fridge. I'm really proud of myself but at the same time, I just wish it wasn't there anymore. I don't think she did it on purpose...it just happens to be my youngest son's favorite desert as well.

Anyway, it's not worth it. All that sugar would make me feel like crap. I would also end up overcome with guilt if I ate it and that would make me want to consume the entire house. I do NOT think it's worth it and I'm incredibly grateful that I haven't lost sight of what I want. I know that the binge monster can strike at any time...especially when I'm not expecting it to, so I have to stay focused.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:55 AM   #109  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Greetings fellow addicts! Where have you all gone? This thread got so low on the list that I started to worry that it disappeared! We need to post more, don't you think? I do. I'm tired so am coming off a little awkward here, but I don't care! I just want to keep this important thread afloat.

mars, I don't have issues with BBQ flavor but it seems that there's always sugar in BBQ flavor so it would make perfect sense. Also, as far as I know, those quick burst of flavor type foods (think bbq potato chips) are designed so that burst of flavor is very fast acting and disappearing, making us want more, more more! I think I saw a whole report about it on 60 minutes. Have you seen it? If not, then I think it's worth Googling.

My mom came over today and she brought my favorite desert in the world. She made it fresh for my kids, to celebrate last day of school. I didn't have any and there's still some in the fridge. I'm really proud of myself but at the same time, I just wish it wasn't there anymore. I don't think she did it on purpose...it just happens to be my youngest son's favorite desert as well.

Anyway, it's not worth it. All that sugar would make me feel like crap. I would also end up overcome with guilt if I ate it and that would make me want to consume the entire house. I do NOT think it's worth it and I'm incredibly grateful that I haven't lost sight of what I want. I know that the binge monster can strike at any time...especially when I'm not expecting it to, so I have to stay focused.
luckymommy, I feel your pain! Things in my fridge are like green kryptonite! Can you feed it to a pet or throw it out? "Whoops, it fell on the floor when I was cleaning the fridge"

Thanks for keeping the thread going and for the great ones you've recently started.

Exhausting day--time for bed. Wishing you a good rest so you can jump start your day tomorrow. You probably have a gazillion things to do to get ready for trip?

Last edited by mars735; 06-12-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #110  
onedayatatimer

Hi mars, I would totally throw it away. In fact, I asked my mom to only leave a little bit for the kids and take the rest away but she was really not happy with that. I decided that I will just tough it out. My kids will finish it today and that will be a great NSV for me. I don't expect everyone around me to change, although I do have them eating healthy most of the time. I do like the idea of saying it fell on the floor, hehehe, but I think I'll save that one for a time when I'm not as strong with my plan. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #111  
maintaining since 9/2013

Happy Friday!
I've been thinkng about luckymommy's commentI don't have issues with BBQ flavor but it seems that there's always sugar in BBQ flavor so it would make perfect sense. Also, as far as I know, those quick burst of flavor type foods (think bbq potato chips) are designed so that burst of flavor is very fast acting and disappearing, making us want more, more more!
It seems there is more than one way to be triggered. The burst of flavor/more more more experience is very familiar to me. With things that pop in my mouth, I may end up eating a lot, but usually that does the trick for a good long time. These would be savory things for me, as opposed to sweets.

Certain sweets, on the other hand, are things I can eat my fill of and then want them all over again in a few hours or the next day. Even after I eat a lot.

It's a many-headed monster & I hereby ask 3FC to come up with an icon for that beast!

This is my fifth official day of no sweets, except a couple of Quest bars. I toyed with not adding stevia to my cold herbal tea infusion. I think it's helped to keep away sweet cravings. Also doing Slow Carb. Being well-fed also keeps those sweet cravings at bay.

Hope everyone has a relaxing weekend

Last edited by mars735; 06-13-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Glad the weekend is here!

Thursday and Friday were pretty much taken up by my colonoscopy and the prep for it. Thanks to my erratic attempts at intermittant fasting I wasn't fearful about the fast, but had a lot of concerns about having to drink all the prep. Turned out not to be as bad as I thought it might be and the test itself turned out fine.

Made an interesting discovery. The liquid I chose to mix the prep material into was iced tea, and on my doctor's advice (!) I used real sugar as opposed to artificial sweetener. The first glass I added 2 spoonfuls, the amt. I would have used in "the old days," and it was WAY too sweet -- I could hardly gag it down. The next couple glasses I used one spoonful, which was better, but still sweeter than I wanted. The last couple glasses I didn't add anything at all. So I guess it's true that our taste buds do adapt over time.

Hubby took me out for breakfast after the test was over. I had a nice omelette, which tasted wonderful, gave him the toast that came with it, then went home and took a good long nap since I'd been up since 2:30! Today I'm feeling creative and raring to go!
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #113  
maintaining since 9/2013

That's a double win for you ladynredd! Glad the test went so well, and the takeaway is just fantastic! Sounds like you are in for a fabulous day, well-deserved. And great for giving DH the toast, too. It would have been easy to justify having it.

I agree about changing taste buds. Today I almost thought I already had sweetened my tea, but no. It tastes fine now without stevia, though I'm leaving it as an option. I sure am enjoying the freedom from intense cravings.

Last edited by mars735; 06-13-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Luckymommy, I feel your pain. The story about the "friend" who was eating all the decadent food in front of you was interesting, especially since you said that this person was not necessarily a "friend" but someone you met through your children. Whatever your reason for not being able to handle having lunch with her is irrelevent. It's a problem for you and you shouldn't have to just deal with it. I suggest that next time just tell her that it's difficult for you to have lunch with her as the foods she eats are a trigger, and maybe your get-togethers should be non-eating events. Or just keep your interactions with her to kid related activities.

I used to be very addicted to food. What changed? I was diagnosed with diabetes. I had to quit eating sweets. It was very hard, but in time, my tastes changed and I no longer crave them, thank God. Also, I had to quit eating large meals, another problem for diabetics. I used to eat a full dinner, and was in there snacking on something an hour later. It was no longer about weight, it was about things that could change my life drastically, like losing my eyesight, my toes, or needing dialysis for my kidneys. Even though my diet is much healthier now I still eat too much and that will probably always be a battle for me, but I no longer feel "addicted." For the rest of my life I will have to be around foods that are off limits to me. DH always has junk food in the house. My extended family is always having get-togethers that center around food and drink. I have learned to deal with it, because I have to, similar to what Berry Boys posted.

I hope that all of you find a way to control this, any everyone's way might be different.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:58 AM   #115  
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 204 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

Default Alone time is a challenge

Last weekend my husband was out of town for 4 days and I was on my own during that time.

I ate IP diet but also had buttered popcorn, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches and peanut butter GF bread with milk. Also hash browns, grilled tuna sandwich and fries.

The anxiety of having nobody around who knew I am an addict felt like a vacation but also showed me how much I rely on having others around to keep from sneaking food.

My husband is traveling again this next week for 2 nights and I feel like it is an opportunity for me to master myself and stay on IP. Does anyone want to share ideas for staying "clean"? My house is clean of trigger food (except peanut butter and rice cakes). Should I give those foods away? Or should I practice leaving them alone? Your thoughts/opinions are appreciated.
amyniagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #116  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi amyniagara!
The anxiety of having nobody around who knew I am an addict felt like a vacation but also showed me how much I rely on having others around to keep from sneaking food.

Can you say a little more? I could be totally misreading, but it sounds like you doing IP with DH in a support role that might be feeling a little like you're being policed? And then wanting to rebel? That would be totally natural! Especially when you body thinks you are in a big famine. Your brain is gonna do everything it can to get you to stock it up with quick carbs, fat, you name it. We are so creative when it comes to inventing reasons to eat those things
On the other hand, maybe you are feeling loneliness with DH away that is making you turn to food? That's of course also totally natural!

Everyone is different as to what they can tolerate, but if you are like me, get all temptations out of sight. When you are on an extreme diet like IP, there is no need to make it any more challenging than it already is. Positive affirmations can be really helpful. Even something as simple as "I can do this" or "I am strong" You can have some fun composing one that makes you feel positive and strong.

The thing about Ideal Protein that you probably already know, is that once you eat over a certain amount of carbs, you are out of ketosis. So when you go back to following the plan, your body will once again go through that tough few days while you burn through all the newly stored glycogen. Each and every time. So if you absolutely feel the need to eat, you will have an easier time by eating more protein, free veggies, clear chicken broth, fat free, no carbs per label, or even an extra packet.

Hope this helps

If you ever are looking for a post IP plan, c'mon over to the Slow Carb thread for a sustainable WOE & fantastic support. (first post explains the basics)
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...hread-3-a.html

Last edited by mars735; 06-15-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #117  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Luckymommy, I feel your pain. The story about the "friend" who was eating all the decadent food in front of you was interesting, especially since you said that this person was not necessarily a "friend" but someone you met through your children. Whatever your reason for not being able to handle having lunch with her is irrelevent. It's a problem for you and you shouldn't have to just deal with it. I suggest that next time just tell her that it's difficult for you to have lunch with her as the foods she eats are a trigger, and maybe your get-togethers should be non-eating events. Or just keep your interactions with her to kid related activities.

I used to be very addicted to food. What changed? I was diagnosed with diabetes. I had to quit eating sweets. It was very hard, but in time, my tastes changed and I no longer crave them, thank God. Also, I had to quit eating large meals, another problem for diabetics. I used to eat a full dinner, and was in there snacking on something an hour later. It was no longer about weight, it was about things that could change my life drastically, like losing my eyesight, my toes, or needing dialysis for my kidneys. Even though my diet is much healthier now I still eat too much and that will probably always be a battle for me, but I no longer feel "addicted." For the rest of my life I will have to be around foods that are off limits to me. DH always has junk food in the house. My extended family is always having get-togethers that center around food and drink. I have learned to deal with it, because I have to, similar to what Berry Boys posted.

I hope that all of you find a way to control this, any everyone's way might be different.
Carol Sue How did I miss your post?? This is good stuff and I'm heartened to hear you beat your addiction. It can be done. Thanks!

Last edited by mars735; 06-14-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

I've been OK the past few days, but tonight I saw a Instagram picture of pizza and found it triggering. I plan to stick to plan today, but I was just looking at snack food on amazon, not sure what my problem is. Just venting.
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #119  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidcamster View Post
I've been OK the past few days, but tonight I saw a Instagram picture of pizza and found it triggering. I plan to stick to plan today, but I was just looking at snack food on amazon, not sure what my problem is. Just venting.
Hang in there, Candid. Those triggers will pass!

You are doing fantastic!

Last edited by mars735; 06-15-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Today was my weigh-in day. Happy to report another loss.

Spent yesterday at a water park celebrating the 34th birthday of my daughter-in-law. The venue was chosen as a fun place that could be enjoyed by all ages, including my 18 month old grandson. I really enjoyed getting to see him interact with his parents in the water. My husband and I both loved the lazy river -- and he stayed in the water for 3 more "rounds" after I finally gave up and climbed out!

I knew the food would be challenging as the menu was quite limited. I stuck to what I planned to eat and was ever so grateful for the baggie of baby carrots I had the foresight to bring, despite being told park rules did not allow food brought in from the outside. This was the first time that I was bothered being around food that I've decided not to eat -- I could literally smell the sugar and it made me feel unsettled, even though I didn't particularly want the food itself. At any rate, I tried to keep in mind the ultimate goal of being healthy and fit and "stuck to my guns." Had a couple people offer me a variety of food and, when I turned it down, comment "You're being good!" I decided to accept the comments as a compliment and not get bent out of shape over the judgement the comment implies.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote