Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
And so what exactly does the OP do about that?

With this line of reasoning I should be punching the cr@p out of the next person that asks "if I am ill?" or "am I having an affair?" as a response to my weightloss.

And both of those comments came from women!

I'm afraid we just have to suck it up. Unlike marriage problems or other issues we hide behind doors, our weightloss is on show so it does become everyone's business whether we like it or not.
I wasn't suggesting anything like that. Nobody here suggested that she beat the crap out of him. But that doesn't mean that the feelings that sprung up for her weren't valid feelings. Anger does not = punch someone in the face. It's just an opportunity to look within and figure what it all means and learn from it.

If you're really uncomfortable with people commenting on your body then say so. We have the right to not engage in conversation with others about our weightloss efforts. People are rude to ask you if you're ill. I get it, I get the same thing if I walk out of my house without make up "oh my god are you ok, are you sick? what's wrong?"
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Height: 5'5"

I would probably have been a bit irritated, too, Kiwi. I would have smiled and said, Thanks," but really, my body and what I choose to do with it is my own business.

I don't need a stranger to feel proud of me when I'm jogging anymore than I need one to feel ashamed of me when I'm eating a hot fudge sundae. It reminds me of one time when I was watching my husband play Volleyball when one team member had to leave so they asked me, a total non-athlete, to fill in. Afterward one guy kept saying, "Wow that really took guts!" I kept thinking, I didn't know I was that bad. LOL
FluffyFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #33  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I still don't understand why it warrants a reaction. And sorry the punching analogy was a little extreme.

Don't get me wrong, I never try to tell people how they should feel. Feelings are always legitimate. 'cos they are your feelings, no one elses'.

But why react? How? Shout? Scream? At a stranger in a car?

Acting like that will give fat people a bad rep [sarcasm intended].

Let it go.

Last edited by IanG; 04-27-2015 at 07:28 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I still don't understand why it warrants a reaction. And sorry the punching analogy was a little extreme.

Don't get me wrong, I never try to tell people how they should feel. Feelings are always legitimate. 'cos they are your feelings, no one elses'.

But why react? How? Shout? Scream? At a stranger in a car?

Acting like that will give fat people a bad rep [sarcasm intended].

Let it go.
It doesn't necessarily warrant a reaction. It's an internal response. One can't help how they feel, they can only channel those feelings. It's a totally appropriate reaction to feel anger at that statement but then what so you do with it? You can learn from it.

Although some people DO need to be yelled at if they are being inappropriate. Too many people get away with harassment.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #35  

Maybe you should not take those words out of context. Take those optimistically.
KatieR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Height: 5'6"

For the record, I don't think that the man was being sexist, creepy or anything like that. He clearly judged me for my size and thought it was good that I was exercising. I was just angry. I think this may be going a bit deeper than my original post intended. I basically have been having horrible mood swings do to my caloric restriction. I knew I was already in a bad mood. Yes, if he said, a great day for a run it may have been better although I would have thought that was creepy considering he stopped his car to tell me how proud he was. If he were also out enjoying a walk or jog then less creepy for that comment. Perhaps if he said, you've inspired me to go for a walk or run today then yes, I would have taken it differently. i would have been more accepting. He was being nice, but I was in a bad mood and (not to sound sexist myself) he may the wrong word choices as the male gender can sometimes do. What he said just made me feel that there was something wrong with me. Yes, I am fat. That is wrong, but as the earlier poster who mentioned she is in a wheel chair said, don't point out how proud you are of them for doing everyday things. Its just weird....I get it though. he was trying to be nice. I guess my original post was trying to get accross.....when do these mood swings go away. Im in the beginning of week 3 and I am not a happy camper today, while yesterday I was happy as a clam. uggghhhh
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote