Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #1  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Default defective Scale?

My hubby got me my own scale for Valentines day (Don't worry, he's not an insensitive tool I literally begged for it). I figured there would be some difference in weight from the work scale I was using before, since the work scale is old and I never really trusted it anyway. It was about a three pound difference, not bad, so I just wrote down the new results and decided to stick with my own scale from now on.

Thing is, I'm starting to think the new one might be broken... At valentines day on the 14th it weighed me at 170 even. I tested it holding weights and it seemed pretty accurate. Now, its weighing me at 167... That's a three pound difference in only one week!!! I lost like that in the beginning, but that was water weight. I've been on a slower loosing curve for a while, at least according to the work scale. Is three pounds even possible in one week? I haven't done any heavy exercising or anything super different. If anything, I've worked out less.

First of all, I've been weighing all week empty stomach soon as I get up after I pee, so its not the of day. I have started my period though... Could that be it??? If so, is it really weight loss or just monthly flux??? I don't know how/when to count it and how to understand my body changes.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

Sure, it's possible to lose three pounds in a week. Yes, your period may have had something to do with it, but you definitely had a drop in weight. Personally, I wouldn't question what percentage of that is water, food, different scale, time of month or fat loss, just enjoy. Congratulations.

Last edited by Sage2; 02-21-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Sage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'5"

I lost 3.4 lbs my first week. Since then it's been about a pound or so a week.
texasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Losing 3 lbs in one week can still happen late into your weight loss. I wouldn't give it too much thought. There'll also be times when you do everything right and the scale doesn't move. If it's a new scale, it's probably close enough.

As long as the scale allows you to see the long term trend, that's what matters.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Well it's just anecdotal evidence, but I lost about the same amount when my last period started. You probably were just holding some water weight. Keep weighing with the same scale and if the numbers still seem off after a couple weeks, then you can start to worry if it's busted
aeyesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I have definitely dropped 3lbs in a week long into my journey. Sometimes when you don't lose for awhile but still keep on track, you get to see whooshes like this! =)
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #7  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

Oh, thanks guys!!! I just really don't know what my body is capable of and every little thing makes me wonder and question. I guess now I'll just celebrate this little jump!!! I didn't think it was possible this far in the journey unless you were like, starving yourself in a really unhealthy way.

I just really want to be healthy about this... I have a few family members that suffer from overweight problems and I don't want that for my future family, pregnancies and children. But my mom also suffered heavily from an eating disorder and I don't want to go that way either. As far as examples go, I really only have extremes. If it wasn't for you guys here, I wouldn't know what real and healthy weight loss, maintenance or gain is supposed to look like! I can't thank everyone enough for putting up with me and listening to every little thing. I've learned so much!

Last edited by SenseAndSensibility; 02-22-2015 at 01:22 PM.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Relax! It's only been a week or so.

Stick with one scale, and roll with it.

I can weigh at home, like I do daily, post business, in my birthday suit, go to work, and weigh on a medical scale, and then go to WW meeting, and the numbers are all over.

The best bet, is pick ONE, and learn from the data it gives you, along with your food tracking/journal. Lot's of informative data there!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

It could be water weight working in your favour. On the day you first weighed yourself, perhaps you were retaining water (because you had a salty meal the previous evening, hormones, or whatever). Seven days later, you may have let go of some of that water. At this point there's no reason for you to conclude the scale is defective.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote