Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #16  
You can call me Betty

S/C/G: 177/too much/145

Height: 5'8-ish

I don't quite meet your height requirement, but I do get these kinds of comments, too. Particularly since at one point in my life I was much heavier, so now, if I weigh anything less than that super high number people think my weight is just fine and are quite free in saying so. But... whateves.

I agree with Andrew, I have learned to just let it roll off my back completely.
MayoLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #17  

Im not TALL tall but people always think Im way taller than I am and they are always shocked at my weight. It's really annoying. Nurses will always say things like "where do you keep all that weight? or "do you have rocks in your pockets?" Um no, that does not make me feel good either. They always assume I weigh much less than I do. I guess that is good as far as carrying my weight well. I have a large frame and I also have a lot of muscle just naturally. I can't imagine weighing below the 140's for myself at 5'9"but everyone has a totally different body type, muscle composition, etc... People really need to remember that.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 06-26-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #18  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

From the other side of the tracks - I get some of this also. It's not socially acceptable for me to say that my goal weight is a size 2 or 4. Or that I want to weigh 125lbs. Or when I say how many calories I eat. 1200 on rest days. They freak. Umm....I'm 5'1" (5'2" on a good day, lol). I have a tiny frame and am just a small person. But there are always people out there that are ready to judge. I think Melissa hit the nail on the head - people get uncomfortable around you when you're thinner than they are or your goals are to be thinner than they are. I've been struggling with a little of my own judgement lately on myself with that. I'm busting through it, but allowing myself to be a thin person was harder than I thought it would be because it means some social isolation. People love to have you "like them" and when you're not, you're out of the club a little. It takes some courage to be different. Kudos to you for standing up for your goals!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #19  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhippie View Post
Im not TALL tall but people always think Im way taller than I am and they are always shocked at my weight. It's really annoying. Nurses will always say things like "where do you keep all that weight? or "do you have rocks in your pockets?" Um no, that does not make me feel good either. They always assume I weigh much less than I do. I guess that is good as far as carrying my weight well. I have a large frame and I also have a lot of muscle just naturally. I can't imagine weighing below the 140's for myself at 5'9"but everyone has a totally different body type, muscle composition, etc... People really need to remember that.
My doctor said the same thing. "Well at least you don't look like you weigh as much as you do!"
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I can relate, it actually makes it so much harder. I'm up to 201 right now! Whenever anyone hears me say something about my weight they roll their eyes and say "you're fine." My coworkers (other nurses) are shocked when I tell them what I weigh. They think I weigh 170. I think tall people have more space to "hide" weight. My motivation frequently goes out the window because of it. Funny, when I weighed 165 people thought I was so skinny...Ha! I'd be happy to be 169 again, but the number just keeps getting farther away.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #21  

Height: 6-1.5

I am a female. 6'1.5" I don't know much about this big frame, little frame, but I have seen tall thin people who weigh less than me when I was at my skinniest. For myself, anywhere under 175 would be great. I personally think I would be too thin at 140, so I would not attempt it. 160, I think would be the lowest I would be willing to go, but I think I would be too thin even then.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 320/305/180

Height: 5'10"

I get you, I've had comments in the reverse, that my GW of 170-180 isn't low enough - I'm 5'9" - but I've got a *very* large frame. I've been 150 before, but I didn't like the way it looked, so I'm not interested in getting down that low again. Once I hit 200, I'll lose carefully until I'm happy, not until other people are happy.
Purrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #23  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Some people will have rude comment how skinny you will look just because they are jealous! Jealous people always make rude comment to make themselves look better.
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:37 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 294/ticker/240

Height: 6' 4"

I don't tell people my real weight. I have a large frame and people just don't grok what a tall person with a large frame might weigh. I suppose it would be the same for someone with a small frame too.

I remember the old Met life tables from the 80s, it was the only formula or chart I've ever heard of that used frame size. You would measure your elbow bones to guess your frame size (small, medium, large) but nobody used them anymore once BMI came around. Too bad that measuring anything but weight and height is "too hard" for people to do. Because those of us who are not "medium" get bad advice or don't know what weight we really should be.
superfluous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #25  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm not tall, but I have seen the exact same problem you're having only on the very short side.

One of my relatives is only 4'9" tall, and she weighs between 90-95 lbs. She also has a small frame and is narrow. She's just itty bitty. And people were horrified when she said she was 90 lbs. When they told me how shocked they were, I made the comment that she could actually weigh about 86 lbs and still be clinically healthy, especially since she's so narrow. They freaked out a bit.

I think people don't take in to account height and frame and muscle. They just feel that one number is a lot and one number is not a lot, sort of a one size fits all deal.

But I second that you should just do what you and your doctors agreed on and avoid discussing it with others when necessary. You're doing great! Good luck!

Last edited by LiannaKole; 08-27-2014 at 12:58 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Sadly, I'm not a tall person but I do have a dog with joint problems. His vet insists that I keep him on the cusp of being underweight to lessen the strain on his joints and it has worked amazingly well. I was told when he was initially diagnosed that his condition would mean that he would have to be put to sleep at around five years because he'd be crippled. He’s seven now and can still jump fences and keep up with the other dogs in the park.

I’ve found it surprisingly easy to ignore the disapproval of folks when they see a skinny dog. I hope that you’re able to do the same and that it has as positive an effect on your mobility.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #27  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudiha View Post
Sadly, I'm not a tall person but I do have a dog with joint problems. His vet insists that I keep him on the cusp of being underweight to lessen the strain on his joints and it has worked amazingly well.
And that's exactly why I am still trying to lose a bit more weight, because my doctor has told me the same thing regarding my back and hip issues. Except he's a people doctor, of course. And we use the phrase "lower-end-of-bmi range" but it is the same concept. At this point, I don't care what other people think, people who don't live with chronic pain Have.No.Idea.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 08-27-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
And that's exactly why I am still trying to lose a bit more weight, because my doctor has told me the same thing regarding my back and hip issues. Except he's a people doctor, of course. And we use the phrase "lower-end-of-bmi range" but it is the same concept. At this point, I don't care what other people think, people who don't live with chronic pain Have.No.Idea.
Exactly, I'm not diagnosed with anything, but a highly doubt my continual ankle pain and stiff joints are being helped by my weight. Mrs. Snark, I read your blog and your my new idol! Fairly similar build/height. However I've never had nearly as awesome legs as you do! Holy calfs!!

I've just started with diet, down the road I'll try to incorporate exercise, but in order to make a habit "stick," I've learned to not take on too much as once, or else it all comes tumbling down.

And again, my coworkers with the eye rolling when I say no thanks to the junk food....because ya know I don't need to lose weight...bleh!
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote