Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #76  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I'll come to other's comments after this.

LIN
Quote:
Your experience is a good example of why it's so important to get to know what works for each of us. It's a cliche by now, but one size does not fit all. I find that, for me, habit is key. When I've been able to develop a good habit, it is SO much easier for me to keep the weight off. For instance, I've been trying to stay away from eating dessert unless I go out to dinner. I was chewing my nails the first few days, but after two weeks, it's easy. In fact, last night I defrosted a chocolate ganache torte I had bought a few weeks ago at Trader Joe's. My husband enjoys it, and because it was the weekend, I figured I would make an exception and have a slice. As it turns out, though, I had a satisfying dinner, and I realized that I had no desire for that cake---a truly rare experience for me. At times in the past, I would have eaten it anyway just because I had given myself "permission" to and allotted room for it in my calorie count. This time, though, I decided that I wasn't going to eat it because I didn't want it. I attribute this to the fact that I had formed that habit of not eating after dinner, so it felt much easier not to eat that cake.
This is exactly the sort of process that Dr Amanda talks about. Its seems you have learnt to recognise when you are hungry and when you are satisfied. This process is fundamental to the system that Dr Amanda teaches through her books. Since i started reading her books, my awareness of the degree of my appetite and satiety has become more heightened than before. Before i had some awareness but now i realise how important it is to sustaining a lower weight and weightloss. Dr Amanda recommends moderate appetite before eating and satiety but not being overfull when finished. She advises against ravenous hunger and allowing yourself to get overfull. I agree with both advices. She also recommends deliberate awareness of these factors and keeping a diary for a minimum of two weeks when starting out. The diary is necessary to make it a long term habit.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #77  
banned

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice if, just occasionally, a new poster to this site could get specific answers to her question? I also enjoy following the "spirited" discussions here, but they do a real disservice to novice dieters that come here seeking advice.
Who knows how the newbies deal with the mixed advice. If i were a newbie it would not put me off a forum. Its extremely naive to think that one can specific right answers to a question without any disagreement. Yes it might confuse them but is that so unbelievable terrible? Life is confusing. On complex matters there is often no simple answer and there is almost always disagreement.

What do you think we should do? Let the first person to answer be the only answer? Let there be no contradiction, only more detail on the first line of response?

That's hardly the real world.

I think we should trust that the great majority of newbies are capable of dealing with a influx of different views.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #78  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNomore71 View Post
I'm just curious about Dr. Amanda's study - if she says that somehow the overweight data gets hard-wired into the brain making it impossible to maintain a lower weight for long, then what does she have to say to those who have been morbidly obese most of their young life and suddenly lose weight (> 100 lbs) and maintain it also?
I haven't seen her address this particular question. Who do we know that has been able to achieve that? Are you able to point to an example? Studies have shown that few people have been able to sustain weightloss for more than a year. That seems to be largely because of their approach to losing it. There have been so many useless methods out there and most people have followed them.

As to people who've been morbidly obese their whole life, and this is me talking, but going on what I've learnt Dr Amanda and others , it seems such people will never be skinny but there is no reason why they can't reduce their weight considerably and keep it off. But I think its expected that they will need expert help doing it for the most part.

Its not just Dr Amanda who says the wiring in the brain changes. You shouldn't give up on your efforts or get disheartened. You just need to keep on it but accept reality when it bites. IN her book (which i think i've just had stolen) she has stated to talk about how you can know when you've found your lower weight limit. Basically when you get there, your body will quickly start fighting back with things like ravenous hunger, lethargy and other strategies to make you eat more and put on weight again. That doesn't mean that the first time you experience this you should say ok this is the lowest i can go because there can be other factors such as external stress and depression unrelated to your weightloss experience etc.

I think for someone like you, if you have been significantly overweight most of your life, you will find her books very helpful into the longterm.

That said, she doesn't promote a low carb diet, though in a recent email to me in response to my question she acknowledged that for certain types of people, that approach is useful. If you are you doing all right on a normal carb diet, then there might not be any real necessity to go that route. But even so, her concepts still apply on a low carb diet.

I think the thing about hard wiring changes, its a new area of exploration and the final answer hasn't been arrived at. People are starting to think that people who've been obese their whole lives have these probably experienced permanent changes in their deep biology making it harder to lose a lot of weight but that does not mean, that you might as well eat badly for the rest of your life.

Everyone benefits from better dietary habits. Better nutrition will give better health outcomes. EAting less will give better long term health outcomes. Doing more exercise will give better long term health outcomes. Doing all of these things, will make anyone who does them happier and healthier and slimmer than otherwise. Its a no-brainer.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #79  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

I have lost a significant amount of weight by ignoring the tried and true methods of eating sensible meals,( as if I could ever be sensible) and I changed everything about the where/why/how I eat. Salads and vegetables without any dressing are now the mainstay of my diet. I eat cucumbers, carrots, radishes, kale, collard greens, snap peas, peppers, zucchini tomatoes for breakfast! THree times a day I load up a bowl of these types of food with a tablespoon of peanut butter or cashew butter or tahini. I add 1/3 of an avocado and some hot sauce w/o any sugar. I eat till my hearts content.
I also add a splash of liquid amino acids b/c I am a vegan and I know I need protein. I guess my take home message to you is to add addd add raw vegetables in copious amounts to what you are currently eating and perhaps ditch the bread if you can tolerate no bread except once a week or so...
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
On one there was no losing past a certain point without the physiological response to weight loss becoming unbearable (sleep disturbances, basal body temperature dropping over a degree, compulsions and irritability, lethargy, and a stalled scale, to boot).
I agree this sounds unsustainable. My own experience has been quite different, as you know. If I eat 1,500 cals per day, even if very high carb, I'll lose an average of 1 to 1.25 pounds per week with no side effects except feeling a little colder than usual and occasional mild hunger.

I also agree that willpower alone is not sufficient for maintaining a weight loss. I just don't think it's irrelevant and believe it can be developed, like any skill.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 AM   #81  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
What do you think we should do? Let the first person to answer be the only answer? Let there be no contradiction, only more detail on the first line of response?
I just think that when someone asks for advice everyone should be able to provide a possible solution without others chiming in to say that the information is wrong or ridiculous or whatever. Also, the personal insults and attacks are unnecessary. You don't have to start a war just to provide an opposing viewpoint.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I apologize if I missed it but was that 1500-1800 calories actually weighed out with a digital scale? Over an extended period of time?

Chances are 6 pages of debate might just be the OP miscalculating portions like 99% of the time people don't lose weight at 1500-1800!

Let's not make it more complicated without ruling out the obvious first.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #83  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
I just think that when someone asks for advice everyone should be able to provide a possible solution without others chiming in to say that the information is wrong or ridiculous or whatever. Also, the personal insults and attacks are unnecessary. You don't have to start a war just to provide an opposing viewpoint.
I agree.

Personal insults aren't warranted to prove a point; however I don't think wrong information should be allowed to slide in order to keep the peace. Misinformation won't help the newbies and they need help the most.

The "you're in starvation mode" comments need to just go away and that would solve 90% of the bickering here.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
I haven't seen her address this particular question. Who do we know that has been able to achieve that? Are you able to point to an example? Studies have shown that few people have been able to sustain weightloss for more than a year. That seems to be largely because of their approach to losing it. There have been so many useless methods out there and most people have followed them.

As to people who've been morbidly obese their whole life, and this is me talking, but going on what I've learnt Dr Amanda and others , it seems such people will never be skinny but there is no reason why they can't reduce their weight considerably and keep it off. But I think its expected that they will need expert help doing it for the most part.
Well, I can think of Biggest Loser winner Rachel Frederickson as an example for someone who became skinny @115 lbs from morbidly obese @260 lbs. And I have watched several episodes of TLC's 'My 600 lb life' where the obese person loses significant amount of weight following WLS and in 1 case, got down to 150 lbs! All these people seemed to keep off their weight.

Coming to Dr. Amanda's study, I have also heard from other sources that once a person gets obese, the body kinda remembers its weight such that even if they were to lose weight, since the body remembers the obese weight, it is very easy for them to fall off the wagon and gain pounds again. Her study sounds similar to that. I was honestly freaked out on learning about her study and that's why I raised my question. I had been around my ideal weight until about my marriage, then for each of my pregnancies I gained 50 lbs - the second 50 lbs I never lost and packed more pounds on top of that to get to 230 lbs. I noticed that everytime I lose weight, after a while, I start eating 'normally' - that does not mean I overeat, but what I mean is that, eat like a normal person would do, without minding each and every calorie - and I noticed my body tends to put on weight with just that easily! So I guess Dr. Amanda is right!
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #85  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
I just think that when someone asks for advice everyone should be able to provide a possible solution without others chiming in to say that the information is wrong or ridiculous or whatever.
In my opinion there is a big difference between "arguing" about what the best solution is (there are many solutions) vs correcting factually false information.

The former is not productive but the latter is critically important.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote