Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #121  

Height: 5'0"

By the way, my layman understanding of the reason whole grains can be worse goes something like this:

Most of the grain's natural defense mechanism (i.e. gut-irritating chemicals) is located on the outer hull. Removing this (by refining) removes *some* of what makes grains unhealthy. Keeping it, as with whole grains, only serves to ensure that we are consuming the very part of the plant nature designed as its defense.

Now... those are very simplistic terms and perhaps not *exactly* right, but that's my elementary grasp of it.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #122  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Wait. Did I write that?

This is exactly how I feel. My perfectionist tendencies are absolutely my biggest hindrance to exercise especially since there are a lot of activities that I just really suck at. Like, a lot.
Yep, I hear ya! I prefer walking and jogging for the same reason. Less pressure. Although my weird brain can still figure out how to manufacture fake pressure- "2.5 miles, huh? So...you can't find it in yourself to go the extra half mile? Doesn't 3 sound like a much nicer number than 2.5? C'mon, you weenie. DO IT." So on days when I don't want to face my mental drill sergeant, I avoid exercising.
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #123  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToTravel View Post
Yep, I hear ya! I prefer walking and jogging for the same reason. Less pressure. Although my weird brain can still figure out how to manufacture fake pressure- "2.5 miles, huh? So...you can't find it in yourself to go the extra half mile? Doesn't 3 sound like a much nicer number than 2.5? C'mon, you weenie. DO IT." So on days when I don't want to face my mental drill sergeant, I avoid exercising.
Precisely and exactly. Kinna ridiculous, isn't it?
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #124  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
By the way, my layman understanding of the reason whole grains can be worse goes something like this:

Most of the grain's natural defense mechanism (i.e. gut-irritating chemicals) is located on the outer hull. Removing this (by refining) removes *some* of what makes grains unhealthy. Keeping it, as with whole grains, only serves to ensure that we are consuming the very part of the plant nature designed as its defense.

Now... those are very simplistic terms and perhaps not *exactly* right, but that's my elementary grasp of it.
That is actually the primary reason I am low carb/no grains. All blood sugar and fat issues aside, I was having huge health problems at my highest weight connected partially with food sensitivities. Wheat and oats were big staples in my diet, in whole form, and I was dealing with joint pain, fogginess, acne, seborrhea, stomach aches, migraines, intermittent sore throat, and congestion. Among other things. It turns out MOST of my daily food staples were ones giving me off the chart inflammatory responses, and eliminating them greatly improved every single one of the health issues listed above, with no other changes to diet. I was still morbidly obese and still eating wrong for my body,it the inflammation went down to tolerably low levels.

It turns out I can even handle straight sugar and white rice better than I can manage whole grains of any type, and beans meet be thoroughly soaked and cooked and eaten VERY infrequently. My first clue I've had too much in the way of grains and beans is a return of acne, followed by increased migraines and a stuffy nose about an hour later. For all the issues my crappy metabolism has with starches, it is the lectin and phytate compounds, plus several select proteins, that give me the biggest health issues. Whole grains might be slower digesting, but they're an atom bomb for my autoimmune issues.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

I am a little lazy , sad to say I enjoy some exercise such as walking & dancing but not enough to make either a regular habit (though I do pace around a lot due to habit). Currently I am interested in 30 day Shred by Jillian Michaels (saw the free video on Youtube) anyone else doing this?
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #126  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candidcamster View Post
Currently I am interested in 30 day Shred by Jillian Michaels (saw the free video on Youtube) anyone else doing this?
Come on and join us OVER HERE.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #127  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
This is really interesting! I've never heard of BAS or BIS, or if I have, I forgot it. Does this apply to the person in general? I am one of the people that said I like how it makes me feel, so that would be BAS. And I can say, I am very motivated to go towards "rewards" in my life in all areas. And I'd say I rarely practice avoidance of anything. If something is that bothersome for me, I eventually meet it head on.

Would this mean that those that practice BIS are like that in many areas of their life? They systematically avoid things that make them uncomfortable or unhappy rather than addressing them?

I imagine knowing this about a child could be helpful in setting up a way to motivate them to behavior better or complete school work. Are BAS people better motivated through positive reinforcement while BIS people are better motivated through (avoiding) punishment? I'm not a psych major, but fascinating none the less.

*I edited it to say, getting palpitations is scary. I get them as well, especially after longer distances (run). I can understand why this might deter someone from exercising. Even someone who typically is BAS
First of all, wow I had a lot of typos from my phone! I haven't had a chance to delve as deeply into the systems as I want to but we did cover it in one of my developmental classes. Honestly I think it really depends on the person and the situation. I am typically BAS. Setting up rewards and striving towards them works very well for me, just not in the case of exercise. My mind cannot move past the fear of having a heart attack because of the palps

What do you do to calm yourself down or reassure yourself that it will be okay?
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote