Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
I was interested in teaching PE but chose ESL instead. The thing is, the teachers aren't handed a gym key and told to have free reign. Just like a 9th grade teacher must teach polynomials in week 12, PE mandates that soccer must be instructed, then volleyball, or whatever. The degree is actually quite rigid, more so than my linguistics, in that it required dozens of half credits in instruction for certain sports.

If I was a teacher yes, I'd certainly LOVE to hand out 30 bikes and tell them to go have fun, that is far more beneficial, but a profession requires adhering to standards.

I can't just brush off useless modals like "shall" in place of things *I* think are more valuable once the school has set a curriculum.

I agree improvements are needed, I just think people forget PE is treated like math and ESL too. If the curriculum sucks, then let's push to change that.
Curriculum is one thing but attitude is a whole different thing. Engaging students, giving attention to students who are struggling, individualized goals, providing encouragement and installing a love for movement, these can be present in any curriculum.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #107  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I work at a high school and there has been talk for years about implementing an alternative gym program for students that aren't interested in competitive sports. The focus is meant to be on allowing these student access to the weight room and exercise equipment rather than forcing them to participate in something they don't feel comfortable doing. I was one of the kids that shied away from sports. I'm clumsy and uncoordinated. It was embarrassing to be forced to participate. I would have prefer walking on the treadmill or lifting weights in high school. I'm really hoping to see this implemented within the next couple of years. I can see it really helping some students be more active.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #108  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

I always disliked the portion of gym where you had to run a mile. I was never good at running when I had to take gym class. It wasn't until after I didn't have to take gym that I actually started enjoying running and joined cross country. I didn't feel like they helped prepare you to run the mile, it was just one day you had to run a timed mile and your grade depended on it. I thought it was pretty unfair, especially to some kids who weren't on team sports or all that active in general. Seems they should have made that the goal of the class and trained for it. Just my opinion.
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #109  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLis View Post
I always disliked the portion of gym where you had to run a mile. I was never good at running when I had to take gym class. It wasn't until after I didn't have to take gym that I actually started enjoying running and joined cross country. I didn't feel like they helped prepare you to run the mile, it was just one day you had to run a timed mile and your grade depended on it. I thought it was pretty unfair, especially to some kids who weren't on team sports or all that active in general. Seems they should have made that the goal of the class and trained for it. Just my opinion.
Exactly what I experienced too.

I hear of some programs here and there that have a running training program and they have the kids run before (pre-test), then teach them how to run and actually have running 'lessons' and then have an after test. No penalties for not running X miles, etc. But just a report given to the kids to show their improvement. In fact, they were GRADED on their effort, improvement and attitude. THAT seems much better. They could do that for swimming and other activities as well.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #110  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
and also point to research that suggests, in many cases, whole grains are more harmful than refined grains.
I'd appreciate being pointed to these references. This is the first time I have heard this aside from brown rice not necessarily being "healthier" than white rice.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #111  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmos View Post
I'd appreciate being pointed to these references. This is the first time I have heard this aside from brown rice not necessarily being "healthier" than white rice.
Brown rice certainly is more filling though.

But I am interested in a link to this research as well...please share.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #112  

Okay--I got to page two, decided I didn't have time to read all eight pages, and then skipped to page 8 . . . where the conversation has veered to home schooling and curriculum--LOL!

Probably all that needs to be said has been said, but I'll just add my experience: I was one who HATED the thought of exercise. However, I've learned that the right kind of exercise won't even feel like formal exercise. My husband built a treadmill desk for me, and as I do a lot of computer work at home, I walk several miles a day on it without even "feeling" it. Additionally, four days a week, I take an intense but really fun Cross Fit class at the gym. I've been doing some form of this routine for almost 3 years now, and I have absolutely NO dread factor at all. I love it! Another benefit from all this exercise is that I can eat a lot more calories than I would if I weren't exercising. I would say that I burn about 500 calories a day just in exercise, and 500 calories is nothing to sneeze at. It allows me to have cupcakes for breakfast on the weekends and not worry about what I eat or drink when my husband and I go out to a nice restaurant. So, for me, exercise has really helped me to maintain my weight since I got down to where I want to be. If I could not have those weekly treats, I think I would have rebelled long ago and eaten my way up to my original weight. I credit exercise as being a major contributor to that.

Last edited by lin43; 05-13-2014 at 06:23 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #113  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
I have to admit quite the contradictions here though. It seems all of us hated gym (I did, I wasn't overweight then), but there isn't enough of it in schools, parents fail kids but it is parents responsibility, but it should be the schools responsibility? 120 students a day, that is quite the burden on teachers already tired and dealing with unmotivated teenagers within curriculum goals.

I don't have an answer but surely you guys must see the confusion!
Ha. My thoughts exactly, and precisely why I do not want schools involved in exercise and nutrition. Let the kids play, teach home ec, and leave it there. Nutrition and health classes usually stink and guided PE is quite the exercise in futility, as naturally athletic kids will be athletic regardless and naturally unathletic kids just feel like klutzes who keep failing to do five pull-ups.

For what it is worth, I actually didn't mind PE despite being a fat kid who didn't do very well. But I'm still glad my kids don't ever have to deal with it and just get to run and play in our (fairly small) yard and local parks.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-13-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Quote:
Yes, I think it contributes, health-wise. I guess I just don't really get the nerve of the whole "lazy" comment.

I'm not disabled, but I have an autistic child. I've gone through months of not being active because I was simple just tired and didn't feel like it. Would it have been better for me? Yes, but I don't feel other people have the right to sit here and call me lazy for it. I can imagine that plenty of people have disrespectful words like that for a lot of girls here, simply for being overweight, no matter how active they are.

I guess my point is that this is one big glass house, 3fc, to be tossing around that term!

I will be training today as usual but should I choose inactivity for whatever reason, so be it. I've been on this journey for 10 years and take extended breaks for my sanity.
GHA!! I specifically said numerous times I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Why take offence if you don't consider yourself to be lazy? In fact, I specifically said: I don't mean to offend anyone, but people who don't exercise (for non-medical reasons) sound a little lazy to me. And I went on to say that i don't necessarily consider exercise to mean sweating it out at the gym for three hours but could also mean gardening or doing other such activities.
Why are people hung up on me saying wanting not to exercise (for non medical conditions) seems a bit lazy to me? Why do you even care what I think!? lol.

The problem with the internet is that intonation is just not there, and although I'm a little exasperated I'm STILL not trying to offend anyone!
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #115  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

There are so many activities that children can start young and continue well into adulthood that does not involve organized sports. If you can do it together as a family, all the better. Dancing comes to mind, even boys love hip hop dancing nowadays; hiking; mountain biking; bowling; tennis; swimming; boating; skiing; rollerblading; skate boarding; going to the playground and climbing on the equipment; jumping on a trampoline; rock climbing wall; surfing; body surfing. . . . The kid rides his trike, mommy and daddy walk. It should be shown that activity is the norm, couch potato/video game addicts not healthy.

This is something the school can't teach. The same with healthy eating. If the family does not serve fruits and vegetables in the home, all the lessons at school does not matter.

Also, I was clumsy as a child, and still have no balance. I can't do some of the activities well, and always wish I could. But I knew that I would never allow my daughter to end up like me. I found inexpensive places for her to take lessons to learn a new activity correctly and gain interest. She grew up knowing that she can do whatever she puts her mind to. She has run the NYC marathon and believe me she is not a natural athlete but has trained her body and mind to be strong.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I think the term lazy is charged for us, I know I'm not lazy even when I don't exercise. And surely overweight people have endured being called lazy for centuries! But there are times when I am being lazy about specific things, like I don't feel like cooking dinner or I'll put off doing the laundry until tomorrow, or I'll skip my walk today since it's raining etc.

I also wouldn't think someone is being lazy for rejecting exercise, and I'm talking specifically about people who reject all notions of exercise or even activity. I think they are depriving themselves of a better life and taking for granted the abilities that their body possesses. I think they're suckers, everybody knows that the easy route leads to nowhere.
I certainly feel lazy when I don't exercise, because I know I can do it. My point in creating this thread was to hear what people's reasoning was behind choosing NOT to exercise. Truly, I feel like there's always a way to incorporate activity into your life and choosing not to do so is at odds with my perspective of a health life. K, so the word "lazy" offends some people - and I said from the beginning that I wasn't trying to offend anyone but I think people should take a step back and evaluate why they even care about what I say? I'm just talking! Just speaking my mind from my own perspective - I've only had experiences that have lead me to believe that exercise is integral to healthy living and that there really isn't an excuse to NOT do so (save for certain medical conditions, extenuating circumstances) And I find it unfair that another poster outright called me smug - is that not the same "prejudging attitude" that you got from me when I used the word "lazy"?

Anyway, i'm done defending. I did however want to thank everyone again for such a lively, interesting thread. I truly have learned a lot by hearing many of your perspectives.

Last edited by kaybee1; 05-13-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo/afterthought
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Don't get exasperated maybe, opinions fly like daggers around here sometimes. Just remember it's a discussion and nothing is directed personally at you.

I for sure want physical exercise incorporated into my son's school day. As a teacher myself I believe firmly that a successful learning environment taps into as many of the multiple intelligences as possible (by Howard Gardner) and kinetic intelligence is a major untapped intelligence often neglected in schools. A child cannot be expected to sit in a classroom for a solid 7 hours without incorporating activity, that's barbaric.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #118  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
Brown rice certainly is more filling though.
I don't eat enough rice so I never noticed that, but I do prefer the taste of brown rice to white!

Actually I prefer the taste of wild rice to non-wild, but that's not technically a rice.

I miss living in a place with an abundance of wild rice. It seems difficult to find out west here.

I better go to bed before I make myself hungry...or keep rambling.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #119  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToTravel View Post
I often get intimidated by exercise- or any new activity, really- because I can be a perfectionist. So if I don't feel like I can do things exactly how I imagine I should be able to do them, then I tend to just avoid the heck out of the activity all together...
Wait. Did I write that?

This is exactly how I feel. My perfectionist tendencies are absolutely my biggest hindrance to exercise especially since there are a lot of activities that I just really suck at. Like, a lot.

Anything choreographed or dancy, like zumba? I look (and feel) like a drunken monkey trying to play a high-speed game of Twister. Or something that requires flexibility, like yoga? Um, no. I am not a human rubberband. (And that's a genetic thing, not a fat thing. My thin healthy nieces are not limber at all, either.)

But running? It's just like walking, but faster. That, I can do (as long as it's not too cold or snowy or rainy or too hot or....).

Yeah, I have issues. It's just a whole lot easier to put most of my focus on diet.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #120  

Height: 5'0"

Sorry I didn't see the posts earlier asking about whole grains. Been busy with the kiddos. Anyway, no time to do extensive searching for you, but here's a blog post that links to some research:

http://thehealthycow.blogspot.com/20...struction.html

This talks about both refined and whole grains, but notes (as in the above blog) that whole wheat contains more phytic acid than refined wheat, and increased LDL.

http://authoritynutrition.com/6-ways...y-your-health/

Personally, I think anyone can find any research to support (almost) any belief. Based on my reading and own n=1 experiment, I have my own opinions about grains, specifically whole grains. Your experience, of course, may be radically different than mine.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote