Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #16  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
The sodium in canned fish is not that bad. For example, tuna or sardines can have 70mg in a can, or they can go up to crazy amounts depending on what they're packed in and how they're seasoned.

Right now I have some canned roasted eel, sardines (my emergency meal at all times!) and a few other random canned seafood that I picked up at the Asian market.

Even canned chicken can be without added salt - Hormel is one easy to find brand that does it.

So many brands now are making their canned items with no added salt, but if you're not on a super low sodium diet, reduced sodium items won't be too bad.
Double nice! Now I'm excited! I dunno why I'm stressed over sodium... I don't have high bp. But I will checkout Hormel canned chicken. It is indeed super easy to top a can of that on top of some fresh salad!

I've been buying the canned tuna packed in water. But they say olive oil is good for you. What are you guys intake on that?
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #17  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Munchy has great insights and I agree.

I always go for in water (or brine) if I can because the calories are lower. But some stuff just comes in oil (e.g. smoked clams) and then I just go for that but pick in olive oil when I can. I drain the stuff real good and give it an extra squeeze to get rid of the oil. Olive oil IS good for you. But adds calories. So there is a balance.

So go in water if you have a choice. But do not worry too much about oil if you do not and olive is better than others.

My refigerator arrived for the basement in great shape but upside down (so I need to wait a day to turn it on). It is also bigger than I was expecting (4 cu. ft) so I have just ordered a smaller one (2.5 cu. ft) for my office. I'll let you know if all this sh!t actually works when I turn it on!

I will be adding smoked trout to my salad tomorrow. As well as a little salted cod, 7 anchovies and some pickled herring. Omega 3s baby!

Last edited by IanG; 10-15-2013 at 10:56 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #18  
Nancy is on the go again

So, how's the mini fridge working out for the office? I have a miniature office, no room for fridge, and I'm not even sure if I'll be allowed to have one. We have a regular size one we all share. Full of folks big jugs of pop, pitcher of ice tea, tons of yogurt, with a handful of expired ones, suspicious looking containers, and some folks shove their whole lunch bag into the fridge, which btw only have two shelves... I just use one of them pretty lunch bags that are insulated.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #19  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Thanks. The office fridge is great. It fits under my desk perfectly and blends well with my office furniture as it is stainless steel (dark grey). Everything fits in it (just) and I can now prepare my lunch at my desk. Nice. Best of all, nobody can steal my food which happened once or twice in the communal if they thought they were leftovers.

I had to wake up at 5am to bring the thing in on the metro (it weighs 50lbs) and install it without prying eyes.

It's really quiet too.

I keep a large stash of pickles at work as well as quails eggs, hummus, guacamole, dips, and tsatsiki not to mention salad toppings. So I need a fridge there to keep things cool. At home in my other mini-fridge I keep my fish, olives, more hummus, guacamole, dips, and tsatsiki as well as my prepared veg (corn, lentils, spinach, beans, blueberries, blackberries, red onion, greens, lettuce etc.). So it is a logistical exercise every day preparing stuff using my home mini-fridge and then topping off with my office mini-fridge when I get to work. I also need to be a little self-sufficient in both places just in case. No use having all the food in one place if I am in a pinch e.g. at home sick or no time to prepare a salad at home to take to work.

I have large supplies of canned fish at both locations which do not require refrigeration. Canned fish rules!

You may have noticed that all of this is a little obsessive. At the start of my diet I used to just try to eat as little as possible to restrict my calorie intake (without counting). Somewhere down the line that switched to nutrition. Now I just want to eat as much healthy stuff as I can to fuel my exercise. There are just so many yummy, healthy foods out there that it's turning into quite an adventure. For example, my kimchi arrived today...

Last edited by IanG; 10-23-2013 at 09:23 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #20  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'd love to have a fridge just for veggies. I buy alot of fresh stuff and it takes up tons of room.

And, hmmmm, maybe a 3rd fridge for my husband's beer. That takes up lots of room, too!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #21  
Nancy is on the go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
....I keep a large stash of pickles at work as well as quails eggs, hummus, guacamole, dips, and tsatsiki not to mention salad toppings.....

You may have noticed that all of this is a little obsessive. At the start of my diet I used to just try to eat as little as possible to restrict my calorie intake (without counting). Somewhere down the line that switched to nutrition. Now I just want to eat as much healthy stuff as I can to fuel my exercise. There are just so many yummy, healthy foods out there that it's turning into quite an adventure. For example, my kimchi arrived today...
Ian - You are such an inspiration! I guess I'm where you 'used to be', eating as strict as possible, which when I look back, really boring menus! Maybe I'm too obsessed in tracking them calories... But, reading your menu, the content of your fridge and pantry, it seems, that maybe, just maybe, dieting is not that boring... I am sure that my main problem, is probably, the quantity of food, where I should really be concentrating on the quality of the food. Right?

Btw, I love kimchi! Sadly our local Walmart quit carrying it. I will have to search for it elsewhere. And I had to google what is 'tsatsiki'... but once I found out what it is, I have it all the time. I love gyros! It's just they refer it simply as cucumber sauce! hahahaha, now I know it's real name