Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #16  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
I haven't read the other replies, so maybe someone already touched on this: I've found that when people first lose a lot of weight, they do tend to look gaunt (not just me, but I've noticed this with others as well). It could just be that the body needs some time to "catch up" with the current weight or it could be that people are so used to seeing us as we were that we seem gaunt when they see us smaller. I've gotten those same types of comments from many people (not just two) when I first lost weight, but I don't get them anymore. Beyond all logic, it seems as if the our face & body has to adjust to the new weight for a few weeks before we start looking normal (I know that makes no sense, and I don't have a logical explanation for it, but it has been my experience).
I was going to post this almost exactly. When you're closing in on your goal weight - many people may actually have their faces appear a little gaunt as the face has so much blood flow through the head it's easy to suction out the fat in the face. The body just takes the energy from where it can, and so it's not uncommon to have this happen.

A couple weeks of maintinence will sort this out. (Plus they'll get used to the new you.)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I agree with the person who suggested checking with the doctor, just to make sure you are healthy. He/she can tell you if your hormone levels and vitals are in normal range. He can also (and so can you) check on whether your nails, hair, skin, etc. seem healthy or dull.

One other point, at least in my case, is that I think I looked younger when I was heavier because the wrinkles were stretched out

I'm starting to get some comments about how I shouldn't lose any more weight. I am not at my target, nor am I below 25 BMI, but am trying to slowly get my food intake and exercise intake at the right levels to maintain.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Movingforward, Gratz on your progress!

I am also 5'4" and cannot imagine 141 pounds being unhealthy! I'm wondering where you're getting your BMI numbers. At our height, you move from the overweight category (25-29.9) and into the normal category (18.5-24.9) at 145 pounds... So you're there! (That's my next mini goal btw )

If you're concerned about being unhealthy, I'd suggest looking into your body fat percentage. IMHO, that is a much better indicator of fitness than just the scale, or the BMI chart.

Hope this helps!
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

This forum is absolutely amazing! I really appreciate everyone's opinions and experience here. I am reassured that this experience sounds pretty normal and will likely sort itself out. I actually feel amazing and very healthy. I got my BMI information both from the internet and from my doctor. I saw my OB a few weeks ago. He congratulated me on my loss and said nothing about me looking too thin, so I'm not concerned about myself medically. Thanks for the support everyone! Today I woke up and weighed myself and found that I am 0.9 pounds from my goal.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #20  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
They probably say you look gaunt because they still have the picture of the "old you" in their minds. They associate you with a rounder face, so your more defined face looks "off" to them. If you had always been this weight I'll bet nobody would be telling you that you look gaunt. There may also be a subtle undercurrent of jealousy in their words. I join the other posters in suggesting you ignore the comments. 140 lbs at 5'4" is by no means underweight. Enjoy the new you!

Freelance
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
I haven't read the other replies, so maybe someone already touched on this: I've found that when people first lose a lot of weight, they do tend to look gaunt (not just me, but I've noticed this with others as well). It could just be that the body needs some time to "catch up" with the current weight or it could be that people are so used to seeing us as we were that we seem gaunt when they see us smaller. I've gotten those same types of comments from many people (not just two) when I first lost weight, but I don't get them anymore. Beyond all logic, it seems as if the our face & body has to adjust to the new weight for a few weeks before we start looking normal (I know that makes no sense, and I don't have a logical explanation for it, but it has been my experience).

If you feel comfortable where you are, start maintenance. If you don't, then lose a few more pounds. Either way, I don't think you'll hear those comments after you've maintained for a few months.

I was going to say these things exactly!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, the BMI has some flaws. You should never base your weightloss goals entirely on it, you should base it on how you personally feel when you look in the mirror. Personally, when I was at my best weight I was about ten pounds over what BMI told me to be. But I needed those ten pounds because my ribs stuck out without them.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote