Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy harder than I thought it would be

I've only been watching what I eat for a couple weeks and exercising for even less than that but wow. It's so hard. I do pretty well with the eating but I am in even worse shape than I thought I was, I guess. I feel like I can't exercise hard enough or long enough to even make any difference. I know I'm a beginner and it gets better but right now it just doesn't feel like it's going to. I've just finally got up the motivation get into shape (and I want to do it as quickly as I safely can, you know?) and it's so frustrating to hit this roadblock of my body just not cooperating.

I'm sorry. I'm just really frustrated with it right now. If you have any advice on what I can do (or just encouragement) I'd love to hear it. (I can't go to a gym right now because I just won't have the money until I get another job, and the only equipment I have at home is a jump rope.)
castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Be patient with yourself. Add a little more each time, and eventually you'll be shocked at your progress. 7 months ago, I couldn't even run for 60 seconds. 2 days ago I finished a half marathon.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #3  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

It didn't take overnight to gain the weight and get out of shape, and it won't be overnight to lose it and get into good shape.

Just be patient and it will happen as long as you stick with it! Also, the general rule of thumb is that weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% activity - but the good thing is that as you lose the weight, the activity part gets easier and more fun! And plain old walking is a great way to start, and you can see a difference in how you feel and how long/far/fast you can walk very quickly.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

How about Couch to 5k (C25K)? Or Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD? P90X is popular, too. The first week or two sucks, but then you get into a bit of a groove.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Don't underestimate that jump rope. I can go forever on an elliptical or treadmill, but ten minutes jumping rope kicks my butt! There are lots of things you can do that don't cost anything. You can borrow exercise DVD's at many libraries, so give a few a try before you see whether it's worth investing in. Find some stairs and climb those. See how many flights you can go up and down in a certain amount of time and watch that number get better as you get stronger. When I first started, I'd walk for 15 minutes in one direction and then turn around and come home. As I got into better shape, and thinner, I could walk further and further in the same amount of time. It becomes a finite thing you can measure and see your progress.

It takes a while to get really fit, but you'll make steady progress and it doesn't take long before you just start to feel better.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #6  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

Although I think if I had stared my work out videos sooner I might have had a hard time hanging, just having started the 30ds 9 days ago I notice my endurance has built up quite a bit. Just take it slow and realize nothing that comes easy is really worth it. If it was easy everyone would be in shape and thin. U have to realize this is a lifetime goal and accept that u won't hit your goal in a week. I can't afford a gym pass, so I spent 95 bucks on a bike, elliptical, bench, kettlebells (home made with the help of you tube) and 30 ds. It took patience looking through Craigslists adds daily for a bit and I had to borrow a truck, but usually u can rent one for 20 bucks at a home depot. I didn't want to make excuses as to why I couldn't do this, that is what got me into my situation. Where there is a will there is a way, u have all of us as an example of that. Although u want to get in shape not just lose weight the weight can come off with diet alone, so don't lose faith and motivation. There will be days or even weeks where u dont want to continue, we all do lose motivation every so often and continue to push through it. If u really want it, you will succeed. Best of luck, come here daily if it helps, it does for me.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #7  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Any exercise is better than no exercise.
There are lots of exercising you can do at home without gym equipment
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #8  
Maria

S/C/G: 253/144/129.8

Height: 5' 6"

Calories in versus calories out is what will make the difference. Personally, I don't do any cardio. I try to walk everywhere, but that's it. I do either yoga or strength exercises 2-3 times a week and that's because I don't want to look ridiculously bad when I reach goal. I lost 75 lbs so far, it's not bad at all. If you really want to exercise, start small and you'll get there. There's no reason to torture yourself.
Marniadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #9  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

"Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining is hard. Chose your hard."

I read that on here and found it to be very inspiring.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #10  

One day at a time. Your strength will build. Good luck!
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Stick with it. It will get easier and you may even find you like it

When I started, I couldn't walk a quarter of a mile without terrible back pain or getting all red in the face. Yesterday, I ran six miles without stopping! I can walk for miles and miles now and I feel quite proud. Hills and stairs don't wear me out or make me breathe heavily anymore.

Just find an exercise you enjoy and keep going. Good luck!
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 303/ticker/169

Height: 5'5"

I've been putting together a workout routine around a kettlebell. I simply can't believe how much that thing kicks my a**!! The nice thing about it is you can choose what exercises to do with it (there are tons) as well as how long you go with each one. As my fitness increases, I can alter the workout to suit.
Fit dad 2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #13  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Integrate. I continue to be gob-smacked at how so many have to set aside time to exercise for the sake of it, for example by going to a gym. This would be a killer for me. I try to integrate my exercise into my lifestyle. So, if I need to go to work or the shops I walk rather than take the car. I find it's a lot easier exercising 'with a purpose' than simply to lose weight.

Last edited by IanG; 02-26-2013 at 09:35 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #14  

Thank you all so much for the responses. I was having a really rough day yesterday but I appreciate everything you've said and I'm definitely sticking with it. Missy Krissy is right about "choosing your hard". At least I know I finally picked the right one.
castiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Yes it is hard but it does get better. I have been at it for 2 months and there has been a huge difference in my endurance and ability.

You can read my blog and see how far I've come. You can do this!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote