Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
I have the same thing happen to me, but I have the opposite shape - I put on all my weight (ALL OF IT) in my middle. By the time I find pants that fit my waist, they're literally 2-3+ sizes too big on my hips and thighs.
Me too! All my pants fall down. I can take them off without undoing them cuz my waist is bigger than my hips. I guess I could wear suspenders like a male senior citizen but I don't think that would be very cute.

Good luck with the weight training!

Last edited by Fluffypuppy; 01-06-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Silver lining - Pear Shape is much healthier!!!

Another silver lining - I think between an apple and a pear I'd rather be a pear from aesthetic standpoint. "Of course, I'm an apple and maybe the "grass is always greener" ... but small waists and big booties/thighs are much more fashionable than chicken legs and huge bellies!

But I definitely agree - weight training! And continued weight loss.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Hey - those with the apple who have pants that are too big on the hips and thighs - check out Lane Bryant Right Fit "Yellow". They fit me like a glove. They are pants that fit around my waist but also make my legs/butt look cute by not being too baggy. Interestingly, I tend to have to buy them one size up from my normal pant size but its so worth not being bothered by that because they look and feel so good.
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #19  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffypuppy View Post
Me too! All my pants fall down. I can take them off without undoing them cuz my waist is bigger than my hips. I guess I could wear suspenders like a male senior citizen but I don't think that would be very cute.

Good luck with the weight training!
HA! I can do this too - it's actually sort of an advantage for ultra quick bathroom trips while I'm working at a birth or nannying for small kiddos. My hipster-chic husband wears suspenders all the time, but I think I'm gonna have to pass on that fashion statement
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/136

Height: 5"7

I have the same problem!
I have never ever had small thighs... my top is always a size smaller than my trousers... and any weight I put on seems to go to my thighs (but doesn't seem to shift from there).
I have horrible wobbly bits on the outside of my thighs which go away when I run regularly for a few weeks... but I haven't run now its winter and they are back!
PinkWaterfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #21  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I actually started having this problem when I got into the very small sizes. It seems that it is assumed that size 0/2 women have very thin thighs—there is simply little allowance in the thigh area for the muscle I've built!

I've heard in the women's weight training circles that skinny jeans aren't meant for us...but whatever I wear them anyway.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #22  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

If you don't or can't sew, find a friend who can, or a good tailor, or buy a good sewing machine and learn to sew!

Clothes are made to sell to the masses, if you are not one of those, like myself, sewing or good tailor are your besties!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #23  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

I'm the weirdest shape ever...I carry most of my weight in my stomach, but have no butt or hips to speak of...then OH HEY, MASSIVE THUNDER THIGHS...followed by normal, even shapely, calves. As a result I generally have to wear either looser-fitting styles for pants (hard to find in Japan, particularly at the length I need) or get the wrong waist size to accommodate my stupidly big thighs. I have to wear a belt and have butt sag now with 67 cm waist pants, but they hug my thighs like they're bestest buddies, so I don't dare go smaller...
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #24  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by merilung View Post
I have the same thing happen to me, but I have the opposite shape - I put on all my weight (ALL OF IT) in my middle. By the time I find pants that fit my waist, they're literally 2-3+ sizes too big on my hips and thighs. Needless to say, I wear a lot of empire waist dresses.
Same here! I have a really hard time finding pants that do not have "elephant legs" on me. Finally (yay) found some nice ones at Lane Bryant... LOL they are supposed to be leggings/jeggings but on me they fit more like regular dress pants.

But I notice on this forum a LOT when people post their sizes that they vary widely when they are my same weight and height. We are all built differently.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #25  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA sun View Post
As far as getting clothes to fit, tailoring will work wonders!

ALWAYS buy items that fit you well at your widest (in your case hip and thigh) and most of the time a decent tailor can do some quick and easy nips and tucks to get them to fit at the waist.

Getting clothes custom fit to your body can make you look even more amazing! And it will show off how small your waist is, those curves are sexy! Rock em!
Yep. We are all different shapes and sizes even as compared to women at the same weight.

And from my perspective as an apple shape, you are lucky because it's relatively easy to tailor pants to make the waist smaller. To make pants smaller through the butt and thighs, they basically have to take them apart, re-cut them and re-make them, which means that tailoring costs as much as buying the item in the first place, sometimes more.

You can also try different brands to find the ones that are cut most like your body - some brands offer different cuts to fit curvy women, so they start off a little bigger in the hips and smaller in the waist.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #26  

Height: 5'6

Some girls my size fit size 4, and I'm size 8.

You have to keep in mind body composition too, they can be all muscle and you can be all fat and vice versa.

But yeah, I seem to be blessed and cursed with the curvy thighs and wide hips. I love it most of the time cos it gives me a very feminine shape, but sometimes I envy the girls with legs made of steel.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #27  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I actually started having this problem when I got into the very small sizes. It seems that it is assumed that size 0/2 women have very thin thighs—there is simply little allowance in the thigh area for the muscle I've built!:
There are brands of jeans I can't wear because the thighs are too narrow relative to the waist and hips. I have a small waist and narrow hips but big thighs. My thighs are where I carry the weight I'm still trying to lose.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #28  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I'm in the chicken legs and big ole belly camp! I shop in the jr dept. the legs, hips and butt are cut slimmer, and the waist sits lower than womens/misses/plus pants. The only time Lane Bryant ever looked good on my was sadly, when I was pregnant. Mens jeans are also a good way to go, especially in the straight leg or boot cut, especially if most of your length is in legs, like mine is. When I'm smaller, I look like a teenage boy from behind and it makes me very, very sad. Especially since hubs is definitely a booty man!
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 149/139.5/130

Height: 5'4.75"

I have discovered LEE Relaxed Fit Jeans! They were made for Pears!! I just tried on a size 8. It fit as snug as some of the size 10 jeans I have now!!
GraceAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #30  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'd like to suggest swimming as a helpful exercise. It was the only exercise I was doing at the beginning of my journey, and the first thing to improve was my hips and thighs. Use the water for resistance by running sprints in the shallow end, do kicks and lunges along with regular laps.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote