Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/218/150

Height: 5'5"

Default To Buy Or Not To Buy A Scale

I haven't owned a scale for the past year. I've put on about 30 lbs. in the past year. I don't know if this is causation or merely correlation. The question is, should I buy a scale? I know there are a lot of varying opinions on this and I would like to hear them all!

One part of me says, "yes, buy a scale. It will help keep you accountable when you have to look at that number." Then the other part of me says, "don't worry about the scale and the number. Worry about how you feel and how you look."

To buy or not to buy?
PaxSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I need a scale. It keeps me accountable. Anytime I've gained weight it's been during periods I haven't weighed myself. Almost like if I don't see the number it doesn't exist lol. For me, the scale is important.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

TOTALLY agree with LockItUp. My biggest gains happens when I don't look at the scale. I'll be in denial and popping buttons off my jeans if I don't step on a scale. Whether you weigh in daily or weekly, having a scale will really keep you accountable. It'll tell you if you're on the right track or when it's time to change course. If my number stays the same two weeks in a row I know I need to switch up my routine.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Buy a good scale. A scale is simply a tool. You don't have to obsess over it, you don't need to use it every day. But it provides valuable information which can help you determine what works for your body. I've never been a fan of the school which says that less information is better. The mind is too good at justifying behavior to not have an objective yardstick against which to measure your progress.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Buy a good scale. A scale is simply a tool. You don't have to obsess over it, you don't need to use it every day. But it provides valuable information which can help you determine what works for your body. I've never been a fan of the school which says that less information is better. The mind is too good at justifying behavior to not have an objective yardstick against which to measure your progress.
This is what I would've said if I had the gift of eloquence But definitely---what she said
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #6  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I have a goal... It's to run my next marathon faster than my last... And in order to do that I need to not only train properly, but I need to know how fast I'm running... So I wear a watch that can keep track of that sort of thing and this way I know if I'm making progress towards reaching that goal.

I'm assuming since you're posting here your goal is to lose weight as well as looking and feeling better as you put it... And I see you put some numbers down for your starting/current/and goal weights... Now don't get me wrong looking and feeling better are great goals to have... But they're rather subjective... and I see that you set a goal weight for yourself of 160... so to achieve that objective goal you should probably get a scale...

But either way, good luck with whatever you decide...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 12-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/218/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the input! I think I'll buy a scale today.

PaxSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I agree with what everyone else has already said. I bought a scale for the first time at the start of this whole journey. Quite helpful. I think it is worth a little research to find one that is reliable and won't give you inconsistent readings. I also spent a little more and bought one the gives bone density, BMI, percent fat and percent body fat. It's been well worth the money.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #9  
Empress/Queen

At one time in my life, I weighed 100+ pounds more than I've weighed for the past decade & three quarters or so. I don't weigh that now because I check the scale on a regular basis and log the data.

The scale is a tool, one of many I use in my lifetime weight management & fitness journey. I can't imagine trying to make decisions about my body without knowing what it weighs lol.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #10  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I agree, buy the scale! When I'm not tracking, it makes it easier to ignore the other signs of weight gain and I'll slowly but surely let myself go.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have a balance scale like in the doctor's office. In my head, the scale is correct, so when I weigh, I don't worry about it's accuracy or inconsistency. It was expensive, but worth every penny for me. I weigh once in the morning and done - no fretting about anything.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #12  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
I have a balance scale like in the doctor's office.
You're brave. Those scales scare me with their brutal accuracy.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I am very brave. I am well armed with a scale to weigh myself and another to weigh my food, and I have a really nice holster for my multi oz. water bottle, so look out!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #14  
Happy Member

I weigh myself daily, and have done so throughout my weight-loss journey. The scale is a tool, and it helps keep me honest.

Those lost lbs. are really wanting to attach themselves to my body. The daily weigh-in helps me keep them OFF!!!

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 12-22-2012 at 12:56 PM.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I need a scale. It keeps me accountable. Anytime I've gained weight it's been during periods I haven't weighed myself. Almost like if I don't see the number it doesn't exist lol. For me, the scale is important.
Ditto to everything.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote