Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/184/140

Height: 5'4" BMI-31.6=OBESE!

Default What's wrong with me...

I did it again! What’s wrong with me!!! My daughter called with all her problems and solutions in her life and what do I do… I start eating. MINDLESSLY! I just fininshed a nice big bowl of veggie salad with all kinds of yummy healthy things in it. She calls and everything goes to heck! I started with a can of mushroom soup. Then I ate those nasty frozen chicken nuggets heated in the microwave. I don’t get it. What causes me to eat like this when I’m on the phone? Why can’t I just leave that kitchen during that time. For some reason when the phone rings I head straight for the kitchen. It’s like I’m in a trans. *SIGH*

I suck

Last edited by valentine21463; 12-18-2012 at 03:10 PM.
valentine21463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

You certainly don't suck! I think maybe it's just a habit, and habits are very hard to break. And if it's an emotional thing, that's even more difficult to break.

I used to smoke, and I especially loved to smoke out on the patio while talking on the phone. When I quit, I all but stopped talking on the phone. It was so hard to break that habit, especially because I really enjoyed it.

Anyway, I sometimes eat food I don't even like too, I'm not sure why, the comfort of eating I guess. I struggle all the time still with things like that, but you just keep going!!! You try not to beat yourself up about it and just move on. The horrible and negative self talk only makes things worse, don't be your own bully! This is a long, hard, road and you will have days that are much less than perfect, and that's ok as long as you go from there and learn from any mistakes you make!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Maybe you just need to have your hands busy? My grandma used to chain smoke on the phone, even though she barely smoked at other times. You could try crocheting, knitting, or painting mini-figures or something? Or you could make some hot tea so you could keep sipping on it. There are lots of different kinds of teas out there, so sometimes people think they don't like tea, but really it is just one kind of tea that isn't to their liking.

Last edited by Ferny1730; 12-18-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Ferny1730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

For a while, you can chew gum while talking on the phone. It's damn near impossible to eat while chewing gum
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

On some level you gave yourself permission to eat those nuggets. They didn't crawl into your mouth. And unless you literally sleepwalked through their prep, a fair part of your brain was aware they were being cooked

That's a GOOD thing. Awareness means the habit can be retrained and a different choice can be made. It might be difficult at first, the urge will be frequent and the justifications easy. But rooting out where that permissiveness is happening, decide whether or not you are truly willing to commit to a change or if it sounds nice but the compromise is not what you want as much as your liberty in your prior eating habits. Then it's just a matter of choice and practice, rinse and repeat. We succeed one good choice at a time, and mindless eating isn't really mindless - your MIND can overrule your habits, emotions, stress, etc, and CHOOSE what is going to bring you closer or further from your goal. You can do it! And it starts with a choice. Every single time.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 12-18-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
We succeed one good choice at a time, and mindless eating isn't really mindless - your MIND can overrule your habits, emotions, stress, etc, and CHOOSE what is going to bring you closer or further from your goal. You can do it! And it starts with a choice. Every single time.
This is really true. Fortunately, it does get easier with time, good habits may not stick as quickly as bad ones, but they do become second nature eventually.

The first thing is to take responsibility for what you put in your mouth. It really is a choice, not a good one sometimes, but still a choice. You didn't do it because you suck or because you're a bad person, you did it because right this minute it was what you wanted to do. Next time, make a difference choice, use the tools people have mentioned, find something that works for you, and it will get easier.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #7  

Thanks for all your comments! I've been thinking and I've decided that I really need to count calories and OWN everything that goes into my mouth. As for the phone episodes I'm going to have to realize that there are other rooms I can talk where there is no food to pick at.

Last edited by valentine21463; 12-18-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

I'm sorry. Not sure if you're doing stress- or mindless-eating, but I can relate! Sounds like you've got a handle on it now, but you could also try tart pickles! ;-)
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryHungryHippo View Post
I'm sorry. Not sure if you're doing stress- or mindless-eating, but I can relate! Sounds like you've got a handle on it now, but you could also try tart pickles! ;-)
You know? That might not be a half bad idea.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #10  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
They didn't crawl into your mouth.
Ha! I just imagined chicken nuggets sprouting spindely little arms while cooking in the microwave and then dragging their little processed bodies up onto someone's face. This is where my mind goes when it's late and I can't fall asleep .
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

^ lol nugget attack
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #12  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

When I was quitting smoking, I found that mindless computer games helped, games that required no thought or strategy like bubble shooter games, Chuzzle, or Bejeweled. Even now, if I'm in a really boring meeting, if I'm not doodling, I'm trying to keep myself busy with Chuzzle or Bejeweled on my phone. Since my mind isn't engaged in the game, it doesn't interfere with my ability to listen. It just sort of keeps my hands busy.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post
When I was quitting smoking, I found that mindless computer games helped, games that required no thought or strategy like bubble shooter games, Chuzzle, or Bejeweled. Even now, if I'm in a really boring meeting, if I'm not doodling, I'm trying to keep myself busy with Chuzzle or Bejeweled on my phone. Since my mind isn't engaged in the game, it doesn't interfere with my ability to listen. It just sort of keeps my hands busy.
I like this.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #14  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine21463 View Post
I like this.
Thank you! The other thing to do is get a hands-free head set and clean while you're on the phone. I used to do that too, back when my sister and I, or my BFF and I would gab on the phone for hours. I'd get some cleaning done while we talked. Hmmm..... I don't have marathon phone conversations like I used to, but I should revisit this hands-free, phone conversation house cleaning. My house could use some TLC! Maybe a trip to Radio Shack for a new head set is in order!

But I was just thinking, your daughter doesn't dislike the sound of you eating on the phone? I tend to politely suggest that people call me back when they are done eating. I hate the sound of people chewing on the phone!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post

But I was just thinking, your daughter doesn't dislike the sound of you eating on the phone? I tend to politely suggest that people call me back when they are done eating. I hate the sound of people chewing on the phone!
I guess not. At least she hasen't said anything. Come to think of it sometimes she's eating too, but she's skinny so it doesn't matter. lol