Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #16  

I honestly think telling certain people (especially family) can be really destructive. I'm at college right now and it's going to be really funny when I go home because my mother is SO negative about my body (she will never let me forget that one time two months ago I ate some twizzlers - she's decided it is a candy habit that I have and not what it really was - a one time thing) that I've decided not to tell her I joined weight watchers. I just told her I'm "doing something a little different. Portion size related.

I talk about my healthy habits with my healthy-habit pursuing friends. Skinny friends, too, although it's funny because they really don't get it at all.
Bethedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I go by a simple philosophy when I first lost my weight... "don't talk, just do, and let it speak for itself"
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

This is such a difficult issue for me, too. Everyone has their own way of working this thorny topic out. For me, I don't mention it. If people comment I say I'm just working to get healthy for my performance arts field (which is true) and then firmly switch the subject. I've found this works for me. I tell people about my weight loss issues here. It's why I joined a public forum for those who understand what I'm going through. I leave it at that.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't tell people that I am dieting , that saves any comments or remarks from the diet police. I am not trying to hide anything I just don't care to hear what they will have to say, Eventually you will have to admit you have lost weight. I try to say as little as possible sbout it and change the subject.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

When I first began this journey in Jan 2011, only my husband knew, we talked about it a lot (he'd dropped about 40 lbs over the previous two years). My closest girlfriend had also dropped about 40 lbs a year or two prior, so I discussed with her, as well. I knew that my husband and my friend would be super supportive, as they had just gone through similar changes in their lives.

I didn't really bring it up with other people until they said something to me, like when they would notice I'd dropped weight or I'd mention going to the gym and they'd ask me about it. I had a lot more to lose than you (at least from what I'm seeing in your profile) - so my weight loss was pretty obvious and pretty much everyone I saw within 3-6 months was asking me about it. I didn't "hide it" really, but before results were obvious, if I met a friend for lunch, I didn't make a huge production of it - I just ordered things that were "on plan" for me and if they asked, I told them.

Everything for me this time was slow and steady, and it gave me more confidence as time went on. I had those 2 core people supporting me, so as my habits got better and the weight dropped, it was easier to share with others when they asked.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #21  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

From personal experience: I wouldn't even discuss it with anyone who's not already actively involved in losing weight. Several reasons to that:

1) Especially when we start changing our eating habits, we feel like discussing all of it, and people who aren't trying to lose weight aren't really interested in that to start with.
2) It quickly becomes old when everyone and their dog asks you "should you be eating that?", "aren't you on a diet?", and so on.
3) If you give up/get into a slump, it's all the more fuel for other people's remarks. And some will always secretly rejoice to see another person stumble and fall.
4) Telling a person who's also overweight might make him/her think you're criticizing/judging.

My piece of advice here: just do it. Let it speak for itself. If you say no to candy or chocolate or second servings, and people ask you "why", just say that you're not hungry anymore, don't feel like eating that now, whatever. It'll be much less of a bother in the long run, you won't feel under scrutiny, and you'll be able to do things your way, at your own rhythm, without everyone chiming in (often with contradictory advice...) all the time.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote