Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/214/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Help me not give up!

Hi everyone,

It's been about a month since I've really been trying hard and taking this weight loss thing more seriously, and trying to be committed. The first 2 weeks I worked out 3 times a week and the last two weeks I've worked out 5 times a week - I've been doing strength training along with cardio (I'm doing "The Firm" program that my friend recommened...she lost 80lbs on it). Anyway, I've lost about 7lbs so far, and although I'm happy with that, it doesn't seem like enough for all the work I've been doing.

I admit to not tracking my food on the weekends which I think is my biggest problem right now.

I'm at the point that I've been to so many times before where I'm not satisfied enough with my results to keep this up...and I don't want to jump off the wagon again and have to start all over.

Can anyone tell me what they've done to get beyond these kinds of hurtles? I feel that if I can just get passed this point, I will be in a place I haven't been before and will be able to keep going. It's so easy to give up and I don't want to take the easy way out.

Also, does anyone know how to update the weight on your profile here? I have entered my new weight on the profile page but it isn't showing up on my slider thing. Does it take time to take effect?

Thank you everyone.

LC

Last edited by lynncharlene; 11-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.
lynncharlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynncharlene View Post
I admit to not tracking my food on the weekends which I think is my biggest problem right now.
I will tell you that whether or not you gain weight, lose weight or stay the same is ENTIRELY about the amount of food you are eating (calories), not the workouts you are/aren't doing.

If you aren't satisfied with the amount of weight you have lost or the rate at which you are losing (though 7 pounds is incredible, and you should be proud of that!) you need to start tracking on the weekends as well and figuring out what you can improve upon. Once you settle on the optimum number of calories per day only THEN should you start looking at macronutrients (low carb/high carb/low fat/keto/adkins/insert diet program here, etc.) and different workouts.

After all, you can lose weight without doing a stitch of exercise if your calories are right.

If you don't want to go that route you need to be comfortable losing at a slower pace. It's a trade off sometimes, and you only get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck!

Last edited by JossFit; 11-14-2012 at 02:43 PM.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Hi everyone,

It's been about a month since I've really been trying hard and taking this weight loss thing more seriously, and trying to be committed. The first 2 weeks I worked out 3 times a week and the last two weeks I've worked out 5 times a week - I've been doing strength training along with cardio (I'm doing "The Firm" program that my friend recommened...she lost 80lbs on it). Anyway, I've lost about 7lbs so far, and although I'm happy with that, it doesn't seem like enough for all the work I've been doing.
7p is great progress. To put things into perspective for you I worked out hardcore for 8 months and lost on average .5 to 1p a month. I say keep going you're on the right track. I would monitor your food a little more carefully though.

To change your weight go into "edit signature" and change your current weight accordingly and then click "save". It will update immediately.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #4  

Thank you ladies.

Jossfit, I guess that's the thing I need to get even more honest about...getting out of it what I put into it...I feel like I'm putting a lot of effort into it and not getting as much out of it...but I also know that I haven't been great on weekends (although not horrible either), and that's where I could track more and be more consistent as I am throughout the week.

Hmmm Novangel, that really puts things into perspective. I guess I just have to accept that it takes time and be proud of what I've done so far. I made a goal of losing 15lbs by Dec 1st (I made the goal like 2 months ago when I booked my vacation) and knowing that I won't likely reach that goal is making me want to give up. But I feel like I'm just looking for a reason to justify giving up. God, this is so psychological.

I need to get past this...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

LynnCharlene are you logging everything you eat? I mean even like a bite of mashed potatoes, the leftover 1/4 sandwich someone left, stuff like that? It does add up. NovaAngel is right it takes time and forward momentum is still going. And like Joss said you can lose weight without exercising, I lose FASTER scale weight if I don't work out..but I don't look good, my body aches, and I have no energy (oh yeah and there is that part where I'm cranky and mean because I love to work out and taking it away from me ticks me off--ask any doctor who has put me on bed rest for surgery or something )

Anyway I use Lose It and log everything, even a breath mint. My husband thinks I'm anal retentive, but it works for me. I hope in the future I will be able to maintain without logging, but my mind is set that if I must log forever--then that's a small price to pay for health (and thinner me ness).
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #6  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Hmmm Novangel, that really puts things into perspective. I guess I just have to accept that it takes time and be proud of what I've done so far. I made a goal of losing 15lbs by Dec 1st (I made the goal like 2 months ago when I booked my vacation) and knowing that I won't likely reach that goal is making me want to give up. But I feel like I'm just looking for a reason to justify giving up. God, this is so psychological.

I need to get past this...
Hey, let's say you only lose 12 by December 1st...it's still pounds lost and the scale is moving in the right direction. Before you know it you'll be down 20. Keep going!!!
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If you weren't working out much before you started trying to lose weight it is very likely that your fat loss is being masked by your body adapting to the new workouts.

That said - there is a phrase I leaned around these parts that seems appropriate.

Being fat is hard.
Losing weight is hard.
Maintaining the weight loss is hard.

Choose your hard.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #8  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

You know, I lost most of my beginning weight by just slowly changing how I thought about food and my relationship with it. Why did I eat this and not that? How did that make me feel? How do I feel now?

And it sounds like deep down, maybe you don't like the workouts your doing if it's too much work? Maybe change things up a bit. Go outside for a long walk/jog/run. Make faces at old people and babies while you're doing it. Maybe pick up a fun interactive video game like a kinect/wii? Maybe join the YMCA and go swimming? Lift some weights? Tug of war with the dog?
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #9  

I could definitely work on logging my food more...on the weekends is where I tend to let things go and even though I'm conscious of what I'm eating and still try to behave, I'm definitely not as good as I am during the week. I just need to work harder on the weekends.

For the first time, I actually don't hate my workouts. I find the DVDs challenging but sort of fun. I don't enjoy "working out". I love sports and things like that but unfortunately I don't have that kind of thing in my life on a regular basis that will ensue wait loss. I have decided that although I don't love working out (but am liking it more than I did), I don't like being overweight more...and I don't have to like it, I just have to do. That's what I'm trying to focus on. Just like I know it would be helpful to know WHY I choose to eat things I shouldn't when I know darned well I shouldn't, I just have to not to that anymore (easier said than done).

I am trying to be tougher on myself, because I am so quick to let myself off the hook...with "treating myself" with food or not doing a work out if I don't feel like it or am too tired or whatever...and look where that's gotten me? So, I'm trying to motivate myself and stay positive and be proud of my accomplishments so far because I know those things are what will keep me going...but I find I am my biggest (no pun intended) obstacle and I stand in my own way all the time.

It's time to change that.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Put your energy into tracking, everything everyday. Commit to doing this for a month straight. Let the workouts come if they do, put skipping tracking on weekends will undo everything you've done all week and then some. Losing weight is 90% about food.

Look at the IP board - those folks do no exercise the first however many weeks of their program, but their calories are cut drastically and they stick to that plan like glue. You will not find one person on here who says "I eat whatever I want, but I exercise like crazy and am losing weight."
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #11  

I really think for me it's both...I followed Weight Watchers to a tee for several weeks without really exercising and would hardly lose anything. I think exercising is really boosting my good eating habits during the week..but you're right...not staying on track on the weekends undoes a lot of what I did during the week.

I need to recommit to tracking. That is my goal until my vacation and we'll see how close I can get to that 15lbs.