Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #31  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgiraffe View Post
Think of it this way: the food you eat will in no way be burned off because you don't burn any calories sleeping
WHAT!? There's part of me that thinks you are joking. I know that a couple people already responded to this, but I can't not respond also. Completely and utterly untrue with no foundation in reality. Digestion alone burns calories, breathing, heart pumping, twitching in your sleep, and every single other thing your body is doing all day every day for the course of your life. I may be mistaken, Fatgiraffe, but I thought you mentioned you were a nurse. I'm surprised to see this comment from someone so educated in anatomy and physiology! Not meaning to jump all over you, but it's stuff like this that keeps getting repeated that of course some people take to heart when it's just not true at all. Pet peeve of mine.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #32  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

IMHO it's not the hour that matters, but 1) what/how much you eat and 2) how your body reacts.

In my own case, I know I can't eat late: food = fuel = if I eat at 8 pm, I'm literally unable to sleep because I'm still running on my latest "tank". Since I also happen to suffer from insomnia, early meals (preferably light ones, too) works best for me. If it's your case too, then eating late might actually damage your sleep patterns.

Also, it may have to do with the quantity we're liable to eat when eating late. Going from noon to 6 pm with lunch in your stomach, and going from noon to 8-9 pm, isn't the same thing: the latter may make you feel hungrier, which also means more risks of overeating due to being ravenous. (Now that can be counteracted by a light snack in between.)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Thanks very much to everyone for responding!!

It was very helpful to read. I really just don't want to get anxious about eating a little bit later and have it ruin an enjoyable dinner, and with all your comments, I think I'll be better able to do that. It's one thing thinking something yourself and another having it validated by other people. (:

In general we do compromise and eat around 7 (I'd prefer 5, DH'd prefer 9), but on the days it gets pushed back, I won't have to freak out about it now.
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 373/364/190

Height: 5'11

I try to avoid spicy, greasy or fatty stuff close to bed (really avoiding it all! ) But a big meal, or anything spicygreasyfatty too close to bedtime gives me major heartburn.

Otherwise, as long as you're at a calorie deficit, it doesnt really matter when those calories are going in. Going too long between meals is going to cause you to go into a 'starvation' mode, and make dropping the weight harder, but if you're eating at regular intervals, and your last meal just happens to be before bed, it's not going to really screw up your efforts.
TPA sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 185/104/103

Height: 5'3.5"

Our bodies don't know what time the clock says it is. So when, and if, I'm hungry...I eat! Most of the time, I'm eating *as* I'm crawling into bed or I'll wake up hungry, so into the kitchen I'll go to grab a string cheese or a few bites of chicken.

I have been doing this, since the very beginning, and it has never slowed my weight loss. As long as there is calorie allowance still available, within your range, then the timing of eating need not matter.
Going4Lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #36  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

interesting. ive wondered this myself but always figured it was an "old wives tale". i am a night eater and i plan my calories around that. good to know that most people are agreeing that it isnt accurate
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #37  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I'll just chime in with as someone who has had to work nights and be "on call" in the past... I've had periods in my life when I did ALL OF MY EATING AT NIGHT and I LOST WEIGHT!!!

Actually one time some friends and I at work (3:30 PM or so till 8:30 AM or sometimes later the next day!) all did the same diet and only ate at night to get ready for a fellow co-worker's wedding.... And we all lost a ton of weight and looked great if I do say so myself at that wedding... So it definitely can be done...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 10-23-2012 at 02:49 AM.
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #38  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

feeling a bit better about what I just ate.
PMS craving just kicked in.

Good night all!
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote