Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #1  

Question Eating at night???

I've read that you shouldn't eat after a certain hour, does that matter? I've read that you should eat your last meal 6 hours before bed? Do you loose more if you stop eating after a certain hour? It's just that I'm a person who likes to snack at night and I've tried not doing that for the past two days and it's becoming kinda like self torture...
sunshine900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've heard that as well. But not 6 hours. That's a looong time.

I actually held to this rule when I first started on my journey. I set a time limit of about 7:00 or so to stop my eating. I needed to gain control of night time snacking and this was one of the ways that I did it.

I no longer hold to this anymore. I DID get my snacking under control so I no longer needed the rule. I tend to tweak things as I go along. Anyway, I started working out in the evenings and I look forward to a very light snack in the evenings after I exercise. No more then 60 calories. My weightloss has not been affected.

I think it's more important the amount of calories that you consume over the course of a day, then the time of day when you actually eat it. Like I said earlier though, I think it's okay to eat something light. If I were eating something heavy and caloric in the evenings that would leave me less food to eat during the day. Also going to bed shortly after eating a large meal could lead to indigestion.

If it's torture for you to not eat in the evenings, why not save up a few calories for an evening snack? You must set yourself up for success and find what works for you - and what doesn't. The easier it is on yourself and the more enjoyable the more likely it is you will stick to it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #3  

Everything I've read states it's because you don't burn calories very well while you sleep -- I'm a horrible nighttime eater. I have to have a snack around 9:00 p.m. or I'll binge all night -- I just try to keep it light.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #4  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

I absolutely have to eat something at night (usually around 7 or 8pm I get a craving and it won't go away). It's always a sweet craving and I eat Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. Not the greatest choice, but it's better than some of the other things I can think of. I also am a fanatic for baked cheetos, but I have to get the 100 cal packs otherwise I will munch until that bag is completely empty!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #5  
<33

S/C/G: 283/Ticker!/180

Height: 5' 6

I always need something around 7 or 8, so I bought some Mini 3 Musketeers, and they're only 25 calories each. So I just have a couple, and my cravings are gone. (I have a sweet tooth too. )
Charlene Dahhling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #6  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey guys,
You see I always held to that philosophy until I read something very interesting, I'm going to write what it says...

the book says "It's not eating in the evening that stops you losing weight. It's consuming too many calories throughout the day that will be your downfall! Providing you stick to your daily calories allowance you'll lose weight, regardless when you consume those calories. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to spread your calories allowance throughout the day to prevent from hunger kicking in, which leaves you reaching for high-calorie snack foods."

So from what I can get from that its a yes and no answer - yes if you're eating over your caloric needs. I know that I need 2336 calories to maintain my weight. Your body keeps your blood pumping, your immune system running, your brain fuctioning and your lungs breathing so you're still burning calories at night. So by cutting down by 1000 calories I can lose up to two pound a week ((LOL i'm not actually a calorie counter i'm on WW)), so regardless of when I eat 1336 calories thats still cutting 1000 and my body will still burn because of the basal calories burning thingymajigy! Lol Well I guess each "expert" is split it's just up to everyone. I obviously choose the opinion that if I'm under calories then it doesnt matter when I eat but I choose that because 1. I am a nighttime eater 2. It works for me and I'm still losing weight. But its up to you guys... do what makes sense for you and does your body good.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #7  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Oh by the way... the book I copied that from is "the calorie carb fat bible 2007"
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

A calorie is a calorie, and it doesn't really matter when you take it in.

If you eat 1400 calories a day, it doesn't matter WHEN you eat them, as long as you are fueled regulalry throughout the day. It is obvious that we burn more during the day when we are active, and burn less at night when we are at rest...but that doesn't change the calories in vs. calories out over the course of the week.

A lot of people avoid night eating because that is when they are usually at home at the end of a day, and it is a prime "binge time" for many-so they avoid eating. If you are hungry, and stay within your calorie range for the day, then feel free to have a snack. I always eat a snack at night before bed-but I usually keep it to 150 calories or less-popcorn, a piece of fruit, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I agree - it doesn't matter when you eat. It's all calories in vs. calories out. If you burn more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight - even if you eat every single one of them after 8pm!

However, some people find that there are other issues with eating late. Some people tend to eat more calorie dense foods (snack foods) late. And others (like me) can't eat late in the evening because it gives them indigestion at night.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #10  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I disagree. I know a calorie "should" be a calorie, but its not always that simple.

Personally, I know for a fact I lose better when I don't eat after supper, or have a very modest snack (60cals or less) ..when I have a big snack after supper it tends to stall my weight loss even when I am under my calories for the day/week..i have done it both ways, same foods even, the only variable was the time and i lost more when I didn't eat after supper..
I have supper around 7pm and go to sleep around 3am..so there is a long window in my case with no food. If I really want a snack, i'll eat a modest snack like I said above, like sf yogurt, jello, a couple cups of popcorn, a serving of crispy minis, or half a snackie bar. Sometimes, after supper around 930pm I enjoy a homemade caramel latte (only cals are 1/2 cup milk)

I think that maybe its different for different people, but to say that no one is affected by late night eating would be incorrect. Why do so many experts say it factors in if it doesn't? Maybe get to know your body, do your own test, and if weight loss is the same, then you can say that you are fine for evening snacking..
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #11  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine900 View Post
I've read that you shouldn't eat after a certain hour, does that matter? I've read that you should eat your last meal 6 hours before bed? Do you loose more if you stop eating after a certain hour? It's just that I'm a person who likes to snack at night and I've tried not doing that for the past two days and it's becoming kinda like self torture...
Well if it mattered then I would have never lost 87 pounds because I eat late at night EVERY night. Have for the last 3 years. I just make wise choices and make sure that what I eat is counted in with my calories for the day. But heck, sometimes I don't eat until midnight or later.

And yes, I eat balanced meals throughout the day as well
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 106/106-107/103-100

Height: 5' 1.5''

I eat late at night all the time. If I don't, I usually have trouble sleeping. I'm not sure if it matters that much weight-loss-wise in the end if you still stay w/i your calorie limit, but I do notice a definite difference in energy if I eat more evenly through the day rather than pooling half of my calories for late evenings.
Zepher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am another who has successfully lost while eating at night. For me, between work and gym, I don't normally eat dinner until 8:00 or later (gym 6:30-7:30, dinner at 8:00 or 8:30). I usually eat dinner, then dessert a few hours later (I have several options for my dessert, all of which both fit into my plan and help further nutritional goals like calcium). This means I eat dessert no more than an hour before I go to bed.

If I had to stop eating 4 hours before I went to bed, I'd have to either stop eating dinner or stop going to the gym...and neither is going to happen. I've done this my whole journey and it hasn't had any negative effect that I can tell.

That said, if you have a problem with binges or overeating late at night, you might find some success in setting a time limit for yourself. This has never been my problem, so I didn't have to set such a limit.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote