Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 01:08 PM   #16  
it's always something

The Atkins layer ads close themselves after a certain number of seconds, but I'm not sure how many. I've not had to click to close them at all. The campaign limits the number of Atkins ads per user, so once you've seen your limit, you won't see anymore until the next time you visit 3FC. This campaign is supposed to end on April 14, unless they order more impressions.

The PopUp ads that are used on 3FC are generally limited to one per user per 24 hours. It's not really necessary to use a popup blocker for just one pop, and we really wish you wouldn't, lol. A large portion of our operating costs have always been paid out of our own pockets, due to the serious decline in advertising income. We've come close to closing so many times. Thank goodness for credit cards! It is estimated that up to one half of all of our visitors are using some type of ad blocking software. The regular banners pay a tiny tiny amount, and the Popup ad is the only one that has a halfway decent revenue. And again, it's limited to one pop per day.

I hope this doesn't come out wrong, but we put a lot of money and labor into this website, and we really don't think that viewing ad banners or allowing an occasional popup is too much to ask in return. We don't charge admission or subscription fees. Websites usually should be free to use. Unfortunately, they are not free to operate. 3FC requires the use of a dedicated server, among other expenses. Those that block ads while surfing are basically surfing at our expense. 3FC is in debt, and probably always will be. We are not a "shopping" site, we are a content site. People come here for information, and they ignore the ads or the links to shops, or anything else that could provide revenue to the site. Content sites never do well financially, unless they are backed by large corporations. We are currently investigating a few options which we hope will turn things around for us, and they look promising!

We believe that we have a good thing going here, that is worth the effort to keep trying to make it work. The traffic to the main site has been increasing by leaps and bounds, and it thrills us that people find it useful! The forum stays moderately busy, and we have a wonderful community here that I can't imagine being without.

But please, if you find our website useful enough to visit more than once, help keep us operating by allowing the advertisements. Maybe even click the banners from time to time, that keeps the advertisers happy, lol.

Thanks for listening
Old 04-10-2003, 10:29 PM   #17  
The Rockinghorse Gal

S/C/G: 238/230/130

Height: 5'2"

Suzanne,

I do appreciate the fiscal issues you raise, and I don't use a popup blocker. My problem was that the ad was popping up and freezing while obscuring the screen...it never closed itself, and I wasn't able to close it by clicking the x in the corner. A reboot seems to haver done a great job of fixing the problem though. Oh, I do click the ads on occasion and have actually found some great deals.

As an aside, I love the work you've done with the site--its a wonderful adjunct to my own information and efforts.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:17 AM   #18  
Smith Mountain Mommy-Girl

Suzanne....

If Pop Ups help to keep the 3FC up and running...I will gladly view the Adkins or any other EVERY time I login! I do not block them and every now and then they are something of interest to me. I did like the diabetic software site.

I hope something would work out for sponsorship...this is a wonderful site and I LOVE it and I would be lost without it!! Thanks for the great job you do!!
Old 04-12-2003, 07:43 AM   #19  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi

I have had trouble at times closing the ads too... and sometimes the huge effort required ends up causing me to have to hit ctrl-alt-delete and close the entire site. I too understand the need for advertising... but also agree that sometimes this particular ad renders the site unusable. As you said, it pops up and obscures the screen and freezes everything.

But I too love the site and understand that you have to have the advertising to keep it running.

Sue

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-12-2003 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:18 AM   #20  
it's always something

Thanks, guys, we really appreciate that!!!

I'll let our advertiser know that the code is causing problems for some people, and hopefully they can fix it before they run a similar campaign in the future.

I get the impression that layer ads are going to replace other types of ads. Also, banner ads are going to get larger very soon, stretching across the top of each page. Many sites are already running them. They aren't intrusive, though.

It's really a shame that some sites have abused the popup and popunder format, though, since they ruined it for the rest of us.

On a side note, doesn't the food on the Atkins ads look good, lol!
Closed Thread