Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

If you aren't going to the gym anyway, or you hate it, just consider the money gone and find something you love to do. Or will at least do. Like a walk. Or a hike. Or just some pushups and sit ups at home.

Or don't exercise. Just admit to yourself that you hate it and you don't want to do it. You may figure out as you lose more weight that you have muscles that would look better with exercise. And you may figure out as you get older that exercise feels good and will keep you healthy longer.

I never set foot in a gym, and I exercise more than my friends with gym memberships. But I want to. A gym membership means nothing if you don't use it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Trial and error. Try a bunch of different types of exercise and figure out your top two or three (even if you don't absolutely love them). Then put them in your daytimer and get started.

Sometimes it pays to persist a few times before giving up on an activity. Last year, when I tried a kickboxing class for the first time, I thought it was for crazy people. For whatever reason I tried it a second and third time, and ended up liking it.

It doesn't work for everything, though. I still dislike going to the gym and hopping on one of the machines -- so I don't do it.

Through trial and error I figured out that I like jogging in the warm weather and taking one of three gym classes (kickboxing, spin, or pumping) in the cold season. So that's all I do. And never more than 4 hours per week, usually 3.

I'm never going to **love** exercise, but I've come to a point where I don't hate it either. And that's good enough.

F.

Last edited by freelancemomma; 07-14-2012 at 07:47 AM.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

First off, let me say I'm really inspired by all you younger women on here who get the idea that sometimes you just have to do what's best, whether you want to or not.

To Lauren - Congratulations that you are able to stay on plan with your eating. That is, by far, the bigger obstacle for most of us. Diet is what is going to take off the pounds. Exercise is going to help shape and tone your body into what you really want it to be. I'm going to bet my next paycheck (don't get too excited - it isn't THAT much!) that you never once regretted going to the gym or working out after you were done. Just do it. No excuses. As Taryl said, it's like brushing your teeth or doing the other mundane things we do every day. Stephanie said "it's part of the gig." Take advice from them and all the other wise women who posted. You won't regret it.

If going to the gym isn't possible (think hard about that - it probably would be possible to make the time if it was an hour long - already paid for - concert by your favorite artist, wouldn't it? We'd find a way) do something at home. You said you like to dance but don't have friends close by to dance with. Who needs a friend to dance? So what if you look silly? Just dance like no one is watching. You know enough about what your body needs to throw in some Zumba moves, or some Turbo Kick, or whatever. Just do it. Or jog around the block a few times. Or ride a bike. YOU WILL NOT REGRET any time you spend working out. I promise.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 07-14-2012 at 08:26 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #19  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
Sometimes it pays to persist a few times before giving up on an activity. Last year, when I tried a kickboxing class for the first time, I thought it was for crazy people. For whatever reason I tried it a second and third time, and ended up liking it.
This was me when I tried spinning for the first time. I remember HATING it and I never wanted to do it again. My mother urged me to try it again after I had been exercising a bit and my legs were a little stronger.

Now I'm addicted. I'll drag myself out of bed on Sunday mornings to get to the advanced 8am class no matter how late I was out the previous night
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #20  

Height: 5'6

I always saw going to the gym as an escape.. you download the best pumping music on your ipod and blast it as you do your cardio.. just feels so good.

Eventually though even I got slackish with this method, and found dance classes and now Im SO excited to go!! I never want to miss zumba classes lol
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #21  
Just watch me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
But I can NOT get the motivation to exercise! I remember when I first started all this I was in a competition, I had friends to go to the gym with me, I had REASONS that basically forced me to exercise. Now that I don't have that, and that I have a job where I'm on my feet all day and am really tired by the end of my shift, I can't ever get off my *** and go to the gym. On my days off, I don't want to do ANYTHING (unless it's going shopping or hanging out with my boyfriend).

Exercise just isn't fun to me. It sucks. I get bored with it so easily. The classes my gym provides don't fit in with my schedule (which is constantly changing because I don't have a set schedule). I just have no desire to do it, which is bad because I really need to exercise if I want to meet my goals! I can eat on plan with no problem; in fact, most days I eat right at 1200-1300 calories and my limit is 1500!

I wish I had someone to make me go exercise, lol.
Honestly, several months ago I could have written this post. But hon, you really have to get yourself moving. You've spent the money so either (1) get there at least once a week - make it part of your health practice, or (2) stop perseverating about it and chalk it up to a bad decision.

Your body needs exercise beyond being on your feet all day, shopping, and hanging with the boyfriend. Figure out something.

I do a lot of different things, because that's where my head is at right now. I used to go to the gym religiously, now it doesn't really fit into the schedule, so I do dvds and step at home + yoga + walking.

You've got lots of suggestions and support here, now it's up to you. The best thing about living a healthy lifestyle is that it is up to you
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #22  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Cardio is boring. Don't do it.

Weight lifting is challenging and interesting. You might even find it is fun.

Just remember to start LIGHT. Like rediculously light. Focus on learning proper technique and increase the weight every workout. It won't take long before you're very challenged.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #23  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5"3

I bought power bands and have started doing excercises in front of the tv. But I do prefer to go for a brisk walk when time allows.
Wheresmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #24  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I think I'm just gonna go back to what I was doing when I was in my biggest loser challenge; that seemed to give me the best results. I'd do cardio MWF, and then do part cardio/part lifting on Tues and Thurs. I just wish I had some friends or something that could go to the gym with me and give me a reason to look forward to going.

Like for instance, when I was going with my friends before, after every workout we'd go sit in the sauna and talk. I don't have that anymore, it's just me and my exercising and everyone else at the gym keeps to themselves; no one talks to each other and it's just kind of lonely and boring.

And I just want you to know that all of your suggestions have been great, and have given me lots of ideas. It just boils down to me wanting to do it and not being lazy. That's the main thing, being lazy, lol.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #25  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

If you go into the free weight section 90% of the guys there will be willing to talk to you if you're looking for social interaction at the gym.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 247/197/175

Height: 5'6

I hardly ever wanted to go to the gym.. until I started weight training. I used to go and do an hour of cardio and leave. Now that I've started weight training, cardio bores me to DEATH. When you feel the progress you're making it just gets you pumped up. It also helped that there are some attractive men in my gym, so I go for the eyecandy!

I don't know if you use websites like tumblr, but there are huge huge fitness communities and blogs of people going through the same exact thing that always post great motivation. I take a peek on there and it makes me want to get up off my butt.
-edit- ^Oops, just saw the link in your signature.

Last edited by tinamariex16; 07-14-2012 at 05:33 PM.
tinamariex16 is offline   Reply With Quote