Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #1  

Default Waist measurement before and after eating?

Anyone ever do this? How many inches difference did you expand, if you expanded at all? I never measured my waist before, and I tried it for the first time. The first time I lost weight, I measured more and now I am a couple inches bigger in the waist than where I used to be (at the same weight). That makes me much more rulerish than I have ever been, which is fine, but I'm not so sure my waist pre-meal/post-poo is this size... My body type could have changed, but it was also after I had my big meal/eating period (I intermittent fast) and I've been a little "backed up" too (haha). I'll measure again after a big #2...
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Um... No. I've never done this. It gets into obsessive behavior to do measurement tracking before and after meals. I don't want to cross the line where healthy behaviors become unhealthy preoccupations and this would be a red flag if I caught myself wanting to do it.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and you may be able to do it just a day and not again, but that's getting way too detailed for me. Tracking measurements every ten pounds and watching my weight fluctuation trends with once-daily weighing is plenty! Beyond that I would worry about myself getting preoccupied with the minutia, to an unhealthy extent.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-27-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Um... No. I've never done this. It gets into obsessive behavior to do measurement tracking before and after meals. I don't want to cross the line where healthy behaviors become unhealthy preoccupations and this would be a red flag if I caught myself wanting to do it.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and you may be able to do it just a day and not again, but that's getting way too detailed for me. Tracking measurements every ten pounds and watching my weight fluctuation trends with once-daily weighing is plenty! Beyond that I would worry about myself getting preoccupied with the minutia, to an unhealthy extent.
Ah yah, I was just curious about my body type and never measured before. I've always been more of a scale person than measurement person, so I'll just try it again after I use the bathroom and see how that goes!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Don't do that! You're just measuring the food you just ate, what's the point?
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #5  

Oh cause idk if it is the food I am measuring, not sure how much eating expands my stomach since I haven't measured myself in a few years. I'm just curious, I'm not gonna beat myself up if there's no difference and my body proportions have changed, but I figure why not see.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

You know yourself better than we do, of course. As I said, for me, the desire to do that would be a giant mental health red flag. If you're just interested in data and don't have neuroses or body image issues, I suppose there is no harm. But that is a very common behavior in the OCD, disordered eating, and body dysmorphia-type circles - so just be aware!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
[F]or me, the desire to do that would be a giant mental health red flag.
Me, too.

It's easy to justify disordered behavior, but I can't see this one as anything other than.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #8  

This sounds pretty funny, actually. I think I'll do it tomorrow before I "drop the kids off at the pool", so to speak . I'm guessing at least 1" from food, probably more like .5" from poo.
stunzorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

I do find that the more I lose weight the more obvious it becomes when I have had a 'big meal'. I can tell that my stomach is flatter and leaner when I am hungry or ate light. I haven't measured it but its obvious to my eyes.

By the way, I do the same thing with weighing (weigh at random points during the day) just out of curiosity at how my body handles food. It made me realize a lot more about my body; like how I know if I eat heavy at night, despite being under my calories, I will not lose weight in the morning because there is still 'food' in my stomach weighing me down, which helped to stop a lot of my freakouts!
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I could see doing it just for curiosity's sake...just be careful not to get obsessive.

Some people categorize daily weighing as obsessive, but there's plenty of us that do it. I found it fascinating and love the fact that I have a chart that shows my loss and how my weight fluctuated every day.

There's been times I weighed myself before and after meals, just to get an idea of how food changes my weight. I don't do this because I have a disorder—I do it because it's interesting.

I think if you approach this in the same manner it's probably fine.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 AM   #11  

Before eating, measurement your waist. Avoid heavy food, take light meal five time in a day instead of heavy and hearty meal three time.

Last edited by naeemtahir123; 05-29-2012 at 03:56 AM.
naeemtahir123 is offline   Reply With Quote