Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/220/130

Height: 5'3

Post Tips for Weight Loss Procrastination?

So, one of my biggest obstacles is that I tell myself, I'll start on my diet next week...so for the rest of this week I can just eat what I want. Similarly, if I mess up and eat something carby or bad for me, I just start eating that way all day. Do you guys have any tips, inspirational quotes or experiences that will help get me to stop doing this so much? I feel like the "tomorrow" I always talk about never comes and I'm constantly thinking of dieting in the future. I've been telling myself I'll change for three years! Thanks in advance!
Murrishmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #2  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

This might not be terribly helpful, but I think the easiest way to get back on the wagon is just to do it. Even if you don't want to, you know it's in your best interest to, and if you're like me, you'll feel better once you've re-adapted to healthy eating habits.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/145

Height: 5'6

Angry

I know exactly where you are coming from. I am always eating that "last " meal and treat before I get serious. Problem is, I never get serious and I have now gained over 50 pounds since Dec 2010. I am getting so big that I actually get in my own way!
doxigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'3"

That's a tough one! I think a lot of people can relate. Change is definitely not easy. I think wanting it really has to come from within and when you're ready you know it. Your desire to lose weight has to be strong and you need to have a good plan in place. You can start slowly by making some modifications...it doesn't have to change all at once. Maybe start by cutting out one thing (like soda) or just finishing 1/2 of what's on your plate for dinner.

For me, I'm trying to be more forgiving of myself if I go off plan for meal or day--it's OK! I can start fresh with the next meal. I've also found weighing myself daily helps me stay on track. Trying to see the big picture and thinking of my new way of eating as lifestyle and not a diet. I count calories and don't eliminate any "bad" foods. I generally eat healthy but won't deny myself of things I love, like chocolate. I just build it into my calorie allotment for the day. Also, it takes 2-3 weeks to adjust to your new way of eating. I find the first few weeks are always the hardest but once your beyond that it does get easier!
redbird92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #5  

Thank you guys so much for your insight! I think it really helps me just having other people who can share and give advice in weight loss. I already feel more motivated and powerful. I just keep reminding myself that waiting until tomorrow, and eating that last bad meal have been happening for three years so when I say it I need to tell my self I'm really just giving up. I need to start weighing myself every day too but I hate seeing that big 220 on the scale. And to think I used to freak out when it would say 120 Thanks again for your replies, I was really hoping this forum would help me make friends and keep me accountable, sort of like WW meetings
Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

Here's a quote that I find helpful (sorry don't know the author)

"If you want to do something you'll do it...if you don't you'll make excuses."

It's helped with weight loss but also with procrastinating with other things as well.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn67 View Post
Here's a quote that I find helpful (sorry don't know the author)

"If you want to do something you'll do it...if you don't you'll make excuses."

It's helped with weight loss but also with procrastinating with other things as well.
Love this!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Someone on here posted a question....If you trip on a step, would you go ahead and throw yourself down the rest of the stairs? Point being....one bad meal, snack, carb doesn't have to mean a bad day.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I also had a three-year procrastination period before I finally got serious. What did it for me was stepping on the scale, which I had been avoiding for the previous three years. Then I wrote out a basic eating plan, printed it, and put it on my desk. Starting that day I weighed myself at least once a week. There's something about that regular accountability (and the good feeling when the numbers drop) that makes it easier to stay on track.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #10  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I have a constant battle with myself similar to this. Fighting myself to eat what I should instead of what I want. Lower carbs helps my cravings. I also work in a lot of my favorite veggies prepared different ways with seafood or something lean. Don't wait until you're starving to eat. Plan out your meals, snacks, and drinks. Weigh yourself daily or weekly. Lately I do daily because it seems to help me set my brain to "gotta watch it" mode. Take a good look in the mirror before you decide to eat that bad meal-that is something I am still adjusting to. I wish you the best!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #11  

What great quotes! Thank you so much! I really need to dust off the scale (my husband uses it more than I do!) and get serious. I love the quote about excuses and also about the throwing yourself down the stairs. Really I've been making excuses for three years and my weight has crept up so much. I went from being a size 2 to...I don't even know what size I am now. I wear yoga pants and comfy things because I don't even want to know. I miss being fit!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2"

haha, like nike..just do it. the first step is to assess your pantry. get rid of all the unhealthy, poisoning junk. stock up on some lean protein, veg, fruit and low cal alternatives.

Last edited by valalltogether; 04-29-2012 at 11:31 PM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #13  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I like the quote, "nothing tastes as good as thin feels". I also like "Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard".

I think the best thing to do is just start over again right away. Instead of just throwing in the towel for the rest of the day and eating with reckless abandon, just start getting serious now. So you screwed up at lunch. You still have that afternoon snack and dinner to turn it around. You can still go to the gym or go for a walk, or pop in an exercise DVD. If you screw those up, and end up watching TV all night, then start over in the morning. And so on. The thing is, even if you keep messing up and messing up, you have that mentality that you're going to do better starting now, and eventually, you're going to do it! And then you start seeing the results you want and it helps keep you focused even more!

I also find that weighing myself daily is helpful and keeps me accountable. Some people don't like doing that, but it really works for me.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

This is extremely common in many aspects of life.

Speaking for myself I told myself for 4 years I was going to lose weight and get back into shape. I thought I would do it with exercise and would go out and way over do it - get injured and that was it for a while.

Eventually for me I had a life altering moment which was the catalyst for changing everything about my life including my weight.

So you can sit around and wait for a major life event (in your case maybe getting diabetes) to propell you to change or you can just take action.

If I knew in 2005 what I know now I wouldn't have waited. What I know now is that you don't have to change everything at once. Just make one change. Do you sugar soda, fruit juice, or some other drink loaded with sugar and calories now? If so - eliminating that drink would be a good first step. One change to lower your caloric intake and a month later - make another - and another - and soon you'll be eating much healthier and at a much lower calorie intake.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #15  

Oh thank you guys so much, what great, inspirational quotes! I will keep coming back to these as I know I will need to!

JohnP- In my early 20-s I did Atkins so I learned all the evils of sugary drinks. I just drink water. I've done a diet journal a few times and for the most part I think I need to just be really honest about what I'm eating and how much. I mostly eat low carbohydrate foods and lean proteins. But when I have an off day I just eat whatever I want and that happens a couple times a week...so I think it's been adding up all these years.