Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #16  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Hurts. Im a full time student so unless I am walking between classes, I am pretty much always sitting. I do admin for a guy who owns his own buisness so I sit during that as well 10 hours a week. It doesnt help that he insists on taking me to Starbucks atleast once a week to buy me something. Its really nice if him but you can only say no thank you so many times without looking ungreatful.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Right out of high school, I worked in daycare, a year with 2-year olds and a year with 12-18 month olds. I could drop weight without much effort because I was constantly moving all day. One of my 2-year olds favorite thing to do was go to our big, open gym and run/dance. After that, I went to a call center environment which I attribute to my major weight gain. I was responsible for putting food in my mouth, but it was sitting at a desk all day in a high stress job/high stress environment. I hated the job, I wasn't much happier with the company as a whole, most of the people I worked with were overweight and there was food EVERYWHERE! It was, unfortunately the most flexible job with my college classes so I stayed there. I now work in a small, professional office and while I still sit at a desk a lot, we have a small kitchen so I can bring my own food, junk food is not as readily available and I'm in an area where I can walk on my lunch breaks. I also no longer hate my job and have learned to deal with stress much better so while my job isn't helping my weightless, it's no longer contributing to weight gain either.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #18  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

Actually my job helps me quite a bit. More and more employers are realizing the benefits of employee wellness plans.

Mine has a walking path around the entire office complex, encourages you to uses it with walking challenges etc., and has an onsite gym. It's absolutely fantastic!

I only wish more companies would get on board with wellness.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #19  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

Mine could go both ways. I have an office job and spend most of my time in front of a computer. But I have the ability to get out and walk around on the property since I'm a property manager. I also work alone in my office so the only food that is around is the stuff that I bring. I have no one to order out lunch with etc. so that is quite helpful.

One of my office phones is a cordless and I find myself pacing around when I talk on the phone. I probably put on a few miles a day in my office.
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Well it is what you make it....My job can go both ways. My coworkers love to eat out at restaurants at least once if not twice during my 10 hour shift! So nine times out of ten I am sitting there watching them eat...it sucks. But if I DID eat with them, I would be in trouble.

What I have done is stashed a horde of food at the office...works well for me, except when the jackasses throw my food out of the freezer into the garbage. (Men...are jerks...and they ***** and moan about me leaving food there...yet it doesn't effect them) When I go back to regular duties I will have to pack my lunch which to me is more time consuming than leaving healthy options at work.
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 225/225/160

Height: 5'10.5

I work in an office type setting but in a large care facilty ~ so I'm always walking around, delivering papers/supplies etc...I don't think it helps or hurts my weight loss to be honest though.
summerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 230/156/140

Height: 5'6

My job doesn't help at all, I sit at a desk all day!
Mrshonopolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #23  

S/C/G: HW:238 CW:224.6 GW:120

Height: 4' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
I've worked as a waitress in a busy restaurant when I was much younger and I certainly wouldn't count it as a workout. It's what you do every day. You don't raise your heart beat to fat burning levels for prolonged periods of time and those coffee pots certainly don't equal weights.
I wouldn't count waitressing as something someone does every day. On a normal day, just when I am walking around my college campus and tutoring, I burn WAY less calories than waitressing. Although I waitress 5-6 times a week, I would definitely say my heart rate is elevated! Maybe not to fat burning levels, but I would guess that it is. I feel like, if I'm sweating and running around the restaurant, I am burning fat. Actually, coffee pots weigh about 5 pounds each. I don't see how those "certainly don't equal weights". Maybe not the weights I do at the gym, but it's something, and it's worked out my forearms more than anything else. Especially when I carry a decaf and regular through out the entire dinning room. I probably shouldn't count my work shift as a work out, but it is definitely not something someone does every day.

Just a side note I have noticed, I am not sure of your back story or where you are coming from, but I have found that your online tone can come off as judgmental and a little condescending. I'm not sure if that is what you are meaning to come across, but it can really deter people from coming to this forum to get help. I don't mean to offend, just bring it to attention. Thanks!
AlyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDread View Post
Well it is what you make it....My job can go both ways. My coworkers love to eat out at restaurants at least once if not twice during my 10 hour shift! So nine times out of ten I am sitting there watching them eat...it sucks. But if I DID eat with them, I would be in trouble.

What I have done is stashed a horde of food at the office...works well for me, except when the jackasses throw my food out of the freezer into the garbage. (Men...are jerks...and they ***** and moan about me leaving food there...yet it doesn't effect them) When I go back to regular duties I will have to pack my lunch which to me is more time consuming than leaving healthy options at work.
I would tell those men what is what! More than anything, food is expensive, and it's a complete waste just to throw it out. Not to mention entirely rude and disrespectful. And good for you not going out to eat with them. I know if I ate on campus with my friends all the time, I'd be in even more trouble than I am now!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #25  
say what?

I work in healthcare, but it's really not that physical. Where I used to work in healthcare we had super long hallways and easy-access staircases so I walked a ton. But in this facility everything is close by and the stairs are just horrid to use. They are situated in a weird place with lot's of doors and it just doesn't work for me to use them because clients are waiting for me when they call.

I have very irregular shifts, in a way that helps because I am home during daylight a lot so I can go out for my runs and such but on nights I work from 10pm til 2am I have difficulty not eating after dinner. And with working out during the daytime I can't really spread my calories thin enough to 'cover' an 18hour day.

It all depends on the choices you make. When I had an office job I found it easier to stick to my eatingplan and even exercise at the gym was more of a routine. It worked better for me than this does.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMe View Post
My job doesn't help me at all. It's an office sit down job and I can work from home so I usually work from my BED! LOL VERY sendentary. That's why I work out every day, I need to be active! Try and pack your food before you go to work, that way you won't be "as" tempted.
Inside me: Whatever you are doing is working! I would keep it up!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candeka View Post
Hurts. Im a full time student so unless I am walking between classes, I am pretty much always sitting. I do admin for a guy who owns his own buisness so I sit during that as well 10 hours a week. It doesnt help that he insists on taking me to Starbucks atleast once a week to buy me something. Its really nice if him but you can only say no thank you so many times without looking ungreatful.
You can always get a tea there! Passion fruit tea has some natural calories, but if you get it without sugar and add a little splenda or your own sugar preference you can still go out and not offend him, and yet not drink in the massive calories coffee drinks can consume. Starbucks is one of my biggest weaknesses. I am a full time student and when I walk by our starbucks it's like smelling heaven.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZTaCCen View Post
My jobs hurt me (well my part-time not so much because I can actually be busy.) but my regular full time job I really just sit here for 8 hours and do nothing. (The morning I sign out access card, hand out washroom keys, and smile at people as they come through the door and help anyone who needs directions...which in most case is everyone.) Pretty boring and mind numbing which leaves time for lots of thinking, (too much time...seriously sometimes I just dont' want to be in my head...) and twittling my thumbs.
I want your job. I have had high stress jobs for many years.

My job is active, I work with young children and that helps with weight loss. The thing is I have read our bodies get used to daily activity though but I have also read that our bodies are not meant to work out per se but to be consistently active throughout the day. So?

My job is also detrimental because of the high level of stress not caused by children but my colleagues and unrealistic demands of management. Also I am getting older and not very fit. And there are often junky treats in the staff room like donuts and the like. Every birthday there is cake.

Last edited by pluckypear; 03-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #29  

When I was a waitress I stayed skinny (no not thin, skinny!) yes I binged on restaurant food at first (gotta love that discount) but eventually I was sick and tired of looking at it, smelling it, and touching it. I literally cringed at the thought of a milkshake when I worked at Friendly's, for instance. I was tired of coming home smelling like grease, too. There are just some times and places that can turn you off to food. lol I wouldn't count your job as an "official" workout since how much of your exhaustion is mental as well as physical can be difficult to determine. But certainly you are burning cals!
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #30  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I have a sedentary office job, but it's located near a bike path and I have a lot of freedom to go do whatever during lunch. So far it seems to be helping - my last job involved free food.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote