Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #16  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

I'm like you...I LOVE my soda, and my favourites (Coke & Pepsi) aren't only full of sugar, but they're also chock-full of caffeine. I seriously reduced my soda intake when I started losing weight last January, but I still allow myself one 591 bottle of either Pepsi or Coke per week. Other than that, I drink only water.

If you're able to limit yourself to one or two sodas a week I really don't think you'll set yourself back. I know for me, personally, if I told myself that I could never have Pepsi/Coke again, I'd never succeed, so I allow myself that treat.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 226/?/150

Height: 5'4

See my biggest fear is that i will have that one then it will turn to 2 then 3 and so on. Today when i was out and about with my BF and son we stopped to get lunch and i wanted that soda so bad but i didnt i feel guilty. I am just so scared i wont be able to stop at 1
Icey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #18  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Someone mentioned caffeine... yup, for me, that's one of the reasons I continue with my Diet Mtn Dew. That caffeine kick. But I'm not willing to indulge the calories of regular soda. Hence, the "diet" part.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

I'm one of those people who gave up soda cold turkey when I graduated college because I was no longer on the free vend plan a.k.a meal plans at college that allow you to drink as much as you want. I went through a wicked caffeine withdrawal that meant I never craved it as much again, though I did still drink it.

I tend to drink about 1 can a week (the full fat stuff) - basically DH & I split a soda and he drinks most of it if we're eating out or we share a bottle of sparkling water. Because I've been an occasional soda drinker for years before starting to try and lose weight, I'm able to have a can or two if I want and not crave more.

If it's one of your trigger foods/drinks then it might be worth seeing what you can do about drinking diet versions or cutting it out altogether until you think you can trust yourself, though obviously I don't know how long that can take for you.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I don't know if I could live without my Dr.Pepper.... but I do drink diet, so no harm no foul. Have you tried diet? I limit myself to 1 per day.
If you are just yearning for something different to drink (I get sick of water quickly), you could try Crystal Light, as well. I prefer the punch or iced tea.
At least with either of these options you're not taking in a lot of sugar or calories, but some people are strictly against artificial sweeteners... anyhow good luck!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #21  

S/C/G: See thicker

Height: 5'9

I used to have 1 per day then i stare cutting it off slowly, the first time was the most difficult for me to the point I couldn't resist it anymore and drank one soda in less than 5 minutes and I end up feeling depressed but now I got used to the idea of just drink water an I feel great
friaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #22  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I drink diet soda - a LOT of it. I pretty much always have a can with me.

I've read multiple articles on whether or not sugar substitutes can cause weight gain, and I just haven't been convinced either way yet.

Obviously, water is much better for you and if you can live without soda you're surely better off than with it.

-
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

If it's a trigger for you, I think you should stay away from them for a while. I personally can't drink soda in moderation. My poison of choice was Diet Dr. Pepper, and when I was drinking them, it was can after can after can all day long. There was no such thing as one soda. And it takes much longer than one month for those cravings to go away. In fact, I still get a slight craving when I eat foods that remind me of DDP - like tuna. I cannot even eat tuna without wanting a can of soda.

I gave up soda long before I changed my lifestyle to lose weight, though. So a better example for me is tacos. This sounds crazy, but I would seriously eat eight tacos at a time if I made them at home. It was just one of those foods I couldn't stop eating until I felt miserable because they taste that good. So I cut them out of my diet completely for the first few months. Then, when I had lost a bit and decided I had more strength, I made them again. But this time, I set aside two tacos and put away the rest of the meat/shells/cheese/veggies before I even ate my meal. It's a lot less tempting to go back for more when you know you'll have to reheat everything. And I'd tell my husband, "I'm only eating two!" It'd be too embarrassing to know that he knew I wasn't strong enough to resist eating more.

If you do decide to introduce them back into your routine in a set daily amount, I don't know how you could buy a 12 pack or a 2 liter, you know? It's just so tempting when you have an addictive beverage or food like that just sitting in the fridge all day, and you're home alone with the baby.

But seriously, you've made it this far. The cravings will last for a while (like I said, I still feel it sometimes, and it's been 19 months for me!), but you've done so well! And if you drink a regular soda, you're drinking your calories! Which, okay, I know it's no different than allotting calories for any other treat (my vice is chocolate), but I've never wanted to drink my calories. I'd rather save them for a dessert or a calorie-heavy meal. (Unless it's a "drink" like a chocolate milkshake - then I'm down!)

Maybe another solution is to find another low or no calorie drink that you love and can substitute for soda when the temptation is great. For me, it's unsweet tea with the no calorie (and no aspartame) sweeteners. I'll never be the type to choose water at a restaurant, so that's my no calorie solution. Good luck!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #24  

Well i have made it this far like yall have said! And when i do go out i am wanting to get one but i just cant seem to get myself to get on i feel to bad and i think about the 10 lbs i have lost and i am like do i really want to risk putting those 10 lbs back on? The answer is no! then i think about the money that is saved not buy those soda!! I have over come the worst craving that i have had that started when i posted this!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 199/159/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I haven't had a pop in over 2 years. I was really addicted and if I had one, I couldn't stop. It was so hard the first 6 months, but now I don't miss it at all. In my opinion, it was one of the best things I have ever done for my health.
Seashell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #26  
hope | amal | أَمَل

S/C/G: 216/Ticker/145

Height: 5'4" (1.63m)

Diet Soda for me is what keeps me sane when I'm dieting. If I don't drink a soda now and then (definitely every day) I start to crave "sweet" like you wouldn't believe.. give it a few days and I'll be binging on oreos.

The diet soda gives me the taste of "sweet" and makes me less ravenous for it. I accept it as a little necessary evil in my life. As for people who claim it kills your metabolism and such, I've lost significant weight before while drinking it, and I can do it again.
Adalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalyn View Post
Diet Soda for me is what keeps me sane when I'm dieting. If I don't drink a soda now and then (definitely every day) I start to crave "sweet" like you wouldn't believe.. give it a few days and I'll be binging on oreos.

The diet soda gives me the taste of "sweet" and makes me less ravenous for it. I accept it as a little necessary evil in my life. As for people who claim it kills your metabolism and such, I've lost significant weight before while drinking it, and I can do it again.
This is me exactly! I've tried numerous times to give up Diet Coke, but I just like having that no-calorie "treat" in my life. I know drinking water is better, which is why I still get in at least 8 cups of water a day. But I also allow myself Diet Coke. To the OP...b/c regular soda has so many calories I would try to limit it if you can. Maybe, instead of actually buying it at the grocery store, just limit it to when you go out? That way it won't be calling your name from the fridge all the time.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #28  

the hardest thing for me is i am having to take excedrin migraine for my head everyday and that is not any better for me because i do need caffeine. I would love to go with caffeine but it is the only thing that keeps me from going nuts and ending up in bed from my head hurting so bad. =( so i guess it is excedrin or soda. i feel better all over but my head =(
Old 01-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 258/248/158

Height: 5'8"

I feel all of your pain! I have always been a "drinker" (non-alcoholic of course lol). I have a drink in my hand at all times. It was Diet Coke then Diet Dr Pepper.

I decided to cut the caffeine out and go to Diet Root Beer. Since I've started this new plan, or WOL as some call it, my rule is I can have one Diet RB after I drink 16 oz of water.

So now my tendency is to drnink more water all day and have just a few Diet RB. But the good thing is that now that I drink less of it, it tastes sweeter to me, which helps with the sweet tooth!! I'll have to see what my weight loss looks like. I'd give it up in a second if it prevents me from moving forward but here's hoping
Jbailey7780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #30  
hope | amal | أَمَل

S/C/G: 216/Ticker/145

Height: 5'4" (1.63m)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbailey7780 View Post
But the good thing is that now that I drink less of it, it tastes sweeter to me, which helps with the sweet tooth!!
Same for me, too
Adalyn is offline   Reply With Quote