Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #31  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

i would tell her!! it's not unsolicited advice you'd be giving her, you'd just simply be correcting her. you can tell her how much was in her meal without advising her about it. that's pretty alarming that she thought it only had 400 calories!! maybe being made aware of the actual calorie content would shock her into paying more attention.

and you can do it in a way that's nice, too! i'd just say, "hey, i took your advice about subway and thought i'd look at their menu to see what i wanted, and yikes, the calorie content is off the charts!" or something, and just say you wanted to let her know just in case it would be a concern for her given that she thought it was healthy food though it actually isn't. not advice, just friendly information giving! you don't have to tell her not to eat there.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #32  

Height: 5'4"

I don't think correcting her with facts is mean - though doing it after the fact is. If she says the same thing again or brings it up, I wouldn't hesitate to tell her the facts about the meal - not in a mean or condescending way. I can't stand letting factually incorrect statements stand, and people who spread them should be corrected if they're going to butt their heads into your business with them.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I would not say anything even slightly derogatory, even though she sounds super irritating.

I mean, I am a (sort of) smart person, but never caught onto what calorie counting really was until lately. It is not that easy. It is only easy after you have already become informed and educated.

You could tell her this is a great forum to talk about weight loss and then she could learn for herself that the sub sandwich is more- but, you probably don't really want her here too, if you already have to be around her at work all day.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

I would go with the "Oh, that's nice but I didn't bring the salad to lose weight, I actually just like salad." option unless she is really persistent (every couple of days) then I'd try the "My eating habits are my own concern and perfectly fine, thank you." approach.

And now, in defense of Subway.
Yes, they have been associated with "diet" food. They promote their "7 subs under 6g of fat" mercilessly. But they do not claim that everything on their menu is healthy. The Chicken Bacon Ranch, does that sound healthy to anyone who has a basic idea of caloric content?
Fast food is fast food. You always need to be aware of what you are ordering. Subway has a booklet in every store with the calories in everything. They also list the calorie counts for 6" subs (a standard portion) and they are labeled as 6" not as a sneaky "portion." You also need to read what is included in that calorie count, at Subway that's meat and bread ONLY (except for the veggie delight, that's bread and cheese) everything else is extra. So, just like eating at Jack in the Box and assuming that the calorie count for the Jumbo Jack includes the cheese that you have to ask for, assuming that the mayo, cheese and oil you put on your sandwich are included in the basic estimate is naive. Should you eat Subway every day? Probably not. I actually haven't been in in a couple of months, this thread is making me crave it. But, if you like Subway, are aware of how many calories you are eating and find it easy to stick to a plan of it daily, or weekly that's fine.

Subway is not the devil. I went on a 2,200 mile road trip last year while eating 1200-1400cal. I cannot express how much I appreciated that Subway has become more common at truck stops. They provided a sandwich with as much veggies as I wanted and known calorie count that I could easily factor in to my daily allowance, in the middle of Kansas at 11pm at night.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 301.2/212.4/135

Height: 4'11

Wow i didn't know subway was that high. Well I haven't hate subway in awhile and I'll never eat there or fast food again lol. I would tell her how I feel in a nice way.
babygurl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #36  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 213/195/150

Height: 5'9''

Ugh, that is really annoying. I would just do my thing, and if she makes another comment, just let her know you are aware of the calorie counts for Subway, and they are (legally required to be) posted on the menu.
Jessica Committed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 155/134/120

Height: 5'2"

If she brings up how healthy Subway is again, you could just tell her that you thought she brought up an interesting point and checked out the calories, but that they weren't nearly low enough to help with weight loss, or something to that effect. That way you'll get it off your chest and possibly make her think twice about her "diet" as well. But if she doesn't bring it up again, then don't bother.
Zoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #38  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I guess it really depends on what you get. There are 6" and footlong subs, but I believe the nutrition info is only listed for the 6" sub, so you'd have to double it if you got a footlong (sneaky...). I used to get footlongs and eat the whole thing (ugh) but now I usually get the 6" turkey sub if I happen to go—and honestly I haven't been there in quite some time so I'm not sure if things changed—which is around 300 cals...although I suppose it's less since I never get mayo on mine :s I'm not sure if they count the mayo or not, so I usually just count it as 300 cals.
A 6-inch turkey sub on wheat with veggies only (no mayo, no cheese) is 280 calories and 3.5g fat. Red wine vinegar serves well as a low-cal condiment. It is nice to have a quick, on the go option, and I get one probably every few weeks. The sodium is high, but otherwise it's a pretty decent choice for a fast meal when you're out.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/125

Height: 5'1

I find it kind of hilarious when women who haven't lost any weight, but are perpetually dieting, try to give me diet advice. It happens rarely, though; mostly, I have people asking me for advice. They seem so disappointed when I tell them all I did was eat healthy and exercise a lot. One woman actually said, 'are you sure it wasn't weight watchers?' and she was dead-serious. Like it's possible I forgot what method I used to lose weight.

It wouldn't bother me so much, except that a few women constantly ask me for advice and want to talk about weight loss...and ask me Every. Little. Detail. on how I lost weight. ...but then they keep up with their own habits and preconceived notions about dieting/weight loss. One is still convinced a cleanse diet is going to magically help her lose the 100+ she needs to lose. *sigh*
napalmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #40  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
A 6-inch turkey sub on wheat with veggies only (no mayo, no cheese) is 280 calories and 3.5g fat. Red wine vinegar serves well as a low-cal condiment. It is nice to have a quick, on the go option, and I get one probably every few weeks. The sodium is high, but otherwise it's a pretty decent choice for a fast meal when you're out.
Yeah that's why I love it too. Quick, easy and I know it's low-cal! The malls I go to have it in the food court, so when going out with friends we all get our own thing and I have subway

Although I guess my sub is a little more than 300 cals? I get it with cheese. I don't like any dressing on my sandwiches so I'm not avoiding the mayo for the calories...just for the taste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalmtree View Post
I find it kind of hilarious when women who haven't lost any weight, but are perpetually dieting, try to give me diet advice. It happens rarely, though; mostly, I have people asking me for advice. They seem so disappointed when I tell them all I did was eat healthy and exercise a lot. One woman actually said, 'are you sure it wasn't weight watchers?' and she was dead-serious. Like it's possible I forgot what method I used to lose weight.

It wouldn't bother me so much, except that a few women constantly ask me for advice and want to talk about weight loss...and ask me Every. Little. Detail. on how I lost weight. ...but then they keep up with their own habits and preconceived notions about dieting/weight loss. One is still convinced a cleanse diet is going to magically help her lose the 100+ she needs to lose. *sigh*
Haha! We were talking about this on an earlier page! I get this too. Nobody wants to hear that all I did was eat less and keep exercising. I recently had someone accuse me of taking diet pills and I was completely floored.

I think if people hear that you did it using an "impossible" method—i.e. starvation, diet pills, etc.—then they feel better about their own failures.

I've had friends honestly ask me how I did it, and I have no problem telling them that I've been calorie counting and I'll go into detail if they wish. I don't really mind if someone is honestly curious...it's just annoying when I get accused of "hiding" the super secret method to losing weight.

You're right folks! There's a super secret organization and unless you sacrifice your right toe you don't get the secret to weight loss!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #41  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
You're right folks! There's a super secret organization and unless you sacrifice your right toe you don't get the secret to weight loss!
Hahaha!
KaylaChristine is offline   Reply With Quote