Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #1  

Question strange weight issue

Being a guy, I tend to carry my weight in my abdomen. I don't look fat, per se, but definitely "big" but recently my doctor told me that I have to reduce my fat consumption because my liver is getting too fatty. Is that something that happens? So now I have to lose weight, but in my liver, as my arms, legs, face, etc all look, while perhaps not slim, no one says I look overweight.

Does this sound bizarre to anyone? I fully admit I should drop 20 pounds (I'd like to as once I hit the magical age of 32 I went from 5' 11" and 190 to 5' 11" and 215 in a few years).

So, I have to figure out a plan, but is there a way to make sure I lose weight in the right places too (e.g. my liver)?
brumblebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

A friend was diagnosed with this condition. It simply means that your liver is storing fatty deposits. That can impact liver function and can be quite serious. The cure is to maintain a healthy/fit body weight.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #3  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I have fatty liver. Have had it for about 15 years. I am hypothyroid and have diabetes 2. Unfortunately, fatty liver is associated with insulin resistance and diabetes 2. I actually had the fatty liver before I got the diabetes. That is reason enough to try and lose a few pounds.

Also, do yourself a favor and don't take Tylenol or acetamenaphin products, if you drink...cut it out some if not altogether...and if you love sushi, you've got something new to worry about. All of these are bad for the liver. With raw fish you run risk of getting ill.

Your doctor may also want you to get hepatitis vaccines because a fatty liver is a compromised liver.

Incidentally, any medications you take, even OTC stuff for cold, etc., can raise your liver enzymes. So can an infection or cold/flu. Your doctor will now keep an eye on your liver enzymes to see where you stand.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is caused by high triglycerides and those come from too much simple carbohydrate consumption.

I would focus on eating more vegetables and lean protein and reducing the amount of simple carbs that you're eating. It is a sign of developing pre-diabetes or IR.... I had it!

My liver function went back to normal once I radically changed my diet and started losing weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-alc..._liver_disease

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0601/p1961.html
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you go on a rducing diet you will lose weight all over. You can't specify one spot.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #6  

OK, it sounds like i need to make a lot of changes. My Dr. is aware of this and is working with me to help the situation, so I feel OK about it, but the work is all on me, so here we go.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The last thing I need is diabetes, so now is the time to resolve the issue.
brumblebug is offline   Reply With Quote