Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #46  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think we all have to decide for ourselves where we want to be. For me, I didn't know "where" I wanted to be until I got down into what is deemed a healthy BMI. When I was over 200 I could only imagine what I would like at 160, 150, 140, etc.

I definitely started because I was plain TIRED of being fat. On top of that, I had three sisters with serious, debilitating illnesses. Seeing sickness so close to home definitely made me pause. So, it was a combination of health AND vanity. I have to say I NEVER knew I would enjoy my health as I do now. To top it off, I was actually EXTREMELY uncomfortable the first Spring I morphed and lost so much weight that men were first looking at me. Now, I am okay with it and realize it's a normal thing.

As to which is right motivation, health or vanity I would answer it again with, IT IS UP TO YOU. Would I ever contemplate whether or not I want a frozen yogurt for the calcium or the yumminess? It doesn't matter. What matters is I am sitting here eating my yogurt with my friends on 3FC!

p.s. nope, not eating frozen yogurt but you get the point!

LORI, of course--your opinion is absolutely your own. Your experience and your ongoing success speaks for itself.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 08-23-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #47  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
Featherweights is all about vanity, though. Those last 15 or 20 pounds or a BMI around 18 are or a bodyfat percentage in the range of "lowest bodyfat that supports menstruation" are all about what you look like, not about your health (physical or psychological).

I definitely disagree. Calorie restriction has shown to greatly increase life span.

ETA: At my higher weight I honestly didn't think 15-20 pounds would have much bearing on me physically or psychologically either. Now, 15-20 pounds is a HUGE difference for me--as evidenced by blood pressure and cholesterol levels and the way I feel mentally--I mean, WHOA what a difference!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 08-23-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

A few weeks back, I started to wonder if the goal I'd set for myself on here was a little too low for me to achieve. However, I do have a good reason for choosing 125, and I DO believe that with some hard work I can do it. The lowest I've weighed at my full grown height is 175, and that was FAR too high. I was unhealthy, very wobbly, and had a lot of excess fat (stomach and hips mostly). So I chose my goal as it was a fair amount lower that 175, but was still in the healthy BMI range. I'm happy to re-evaluate though: if I get to 140 and decide I feel happy, fit and healthy I'll stay there!

I do notice other people's goal weights, but I don't edit my own when I think about them. I actually feel a little better when I see taller people with goal weights the same or lower than mine, as I think if they can do it, surely I can!

I think your goal weight needs to be just an estimate, then you can re-evaluate as you go. It's the only way you'll discover what weight works for you
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

To the OP, we are the same height (including the half inch!) and my original goal weight was the same as yours (150). It was the highest round number in the normal weight range and I was happy to be able to get there (actually, by then I'd already notched it down to 149 'cuz that sounded so much lower, lol!).

But once I was there, after a short breather, I decided to go lower. I tried another ten pounds (139) and after that another ten (129). I am currently trying to regain that goal weight. I fluctuate. Perhaps I would do better trying to maintain a higher weight.

Don't be discouraged if you see others with lower goal weights. If I had simply stayed at 150, in a healthy weight range, I would count that as a great success!

Last edited by yoyoma; 08-23-2011 at 06:51 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #50  
Sarcastic Non-Chick Chick

S/C/G: 360/192/150

Height: 5'7"

Nope. I might give it a moment's thought as I'm browsing, but, honestly, my goal puts me into the healthy BMI range. I've never been there. Even when I was in high school, and I was wearing size 14 and the occasional 12, I was twenty-five to thirty pounds above my goal.

Might I feel differently when I get there? Yep. Maybe I'll go lower. Maybe I'll squeeze my butt into a size six. But if I do that, I'm going to be doing it because I want to, because of how I feel. I'm not going to be doing it 'cause of the numbers that other people've picked. But right now, I'd be pleased as forbidden punch to get to 150.

If I cared that much about what people thought of me, I'd never be able to throw on a swimsuit and haul my overly ample butt to the pool. I'd freeze up at the notion of going to the gym, where all the healthy people live and where I stand out like a swollen and distended sore thumb. I don't, and that means that other people's goals have nothing to do with my own.

It's an easy way to live

Last edited by Gabe; 08-23-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #51  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
I know this is probably stupid, but sometimes when I see other people on here who are about my height, and have much lower goals, I wonder if I'm not aiming for a good weight?

I see some women who start on here at my goal weight already! Does anyone else have this problem?

I want to answer this, if I may, since we're the same height (within a half inch, lol). I say this: everyone's body type is different. Plain and simple. Everyone develops muscles differently, holds weight in different places. It's not a one-size fits all world...but I'm sure you know that.

I used to beat myself up particularly when I was younger that I didn't compare to my friends, one had thinner thighs, one had bigger boobs, etc. I say just be who you are just an improved, better version, if that makes any sense.

I hope this helps - sorry for the Pollyanna-ish approach but hopefully you understood the point I was trying to make.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCandEs View Post
I'm 5'2" and thinking about just calling the weight I am now maintenance. I've been stuck here for months. I've tried all different kinds of things, and I've been so frustrated. I'll loose a pound, and then gain it right back. Am I a quitter? I guess at least I can say I'm not gaining.
You are definately NOT a quitter! Look at all you have lost! Is 137 so much different from 130 at this point? When I lost weight the first time, I wanted to be 125. I could get there, but only for a couple days, then back up I went. My body seemed to settle in at 135. But trying to get back down to 125 always kept me at maintenance. Until I eventually gained it all back and then some....but that is another story altogether!

Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #53  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

No because my goal weight isnt as important as my goal size! I am going for a certain size and just picked a goal weight that i thought would get me to the size i want to be. I am more concerned with how I look then what the scale says. I want to like how I look in my clothes and somewhat out of them
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #54  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

I do notice and think about it, but one of the great things about 3FC is the variety of people - there are bound to be some with higher goals than you, and bound to be some with lower goals. I think seeing the wide range of goals helps me feel okay with whatever number I end up at, as long as I'm satisfied with the result.

For me right now, goal is really a direction - lower. I know where I'm at is not goal. I like the idea of getting down to, say 135, but I know I was pretty happy before with how I looked and felt at 160, and I expect that my DH would ask me to stop losing weight long before I got to 135. I picked 150 because it was about the lowest I got before and because it was a nice, round 100 lbs down from my SW.
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 247.7/224.3/155

Height: 5'8"

I determine my goal weight from experience. I am 5' 8 3/4", I know what my body is like at certain sizes. 8 years ago, I weighed 161, and was not completely happy, after losing 70 lbs. Then my mom passed away, and I went off plan, and never hopped back on the wagon. I am doing a lot more strength exercises (pull-ups, pushups etc), so my body will be different this time around. I guess I will find out when I get there.
TransformingMyself is offline   Reply With Quote